Ectopic pregnancy support thread

(755 Posts)
tasmaniandevilchaser Sun 18-Mar-12 18:15:29

Hi everyone, this is a place for anyone who's had an ectopic pregnancy - whether you want to moan, cry, fret or just have a chat with other people who understand. I know there's lots of other good websites on ectopic pregnancies but after hijackingchatting with sunshine on another thread, I thought I'd start one here.

Well I'll get the ball rolling with my story - after a MMC in November (found out at the 12 wk scan that the baby had died at 10 wks) I was just getting myself sorted, having counselling, when I had the ectopic. I know I am lucky in that I have a lovely DD. Having had a normal pregnancy, I knew from the beginning this one was not good and as soon as I got a BFP I was down at the hospital.

After 10 days of mental torture, waiting around, scans, rescans, blood tests, it got too late for the methotrexate (they finally saw the ectopic in a scan on a Friday early evening and the methotrexate wasn't in stock hmm)

I finally had the surgery to remove one tube on the Tuesday. This was the end of February, at first I wasn't sure how I would cope, but I am just plodding on. I know I am lucky that it didn't rupture, but honestly I can't think of having an ectopic as being lucky. Especially after a MMC sad.

Anyway, come join me if you want to share your story, I have wine, brew and thanks

Apple27 Thu 10-Jan-13 18:13:29

Firstly congrats to joby so pleased for you.

so, thanks all for wondering where I had got to and how I got on with the scan. It was last Thursday and I haven't had time to get back on and update but very very relieved and pleased to let you know that the pregnancy is in the right place!! I was so relieved, I had literally been torturing myself with worry.

It's very early on they said the sac was only measuring about 5 weeks and the yolk was about 1cm, so got another scan on Monday to see if they can see a heartbeat as it was too soon. So I'm still trying to keep calm but just massive relief it wasn't in my tube this time.

I know this does sound like I'm on the wrong thread to be happy as i know a lot of people on here are just going through the very devastating time of an ectopic. but for those that are new or can't remember me I had an ectopic in August and had my left tube removed. so I was very worried when i started getting shoulder tip pain this time and levels didn't quite double. i know how much it meant to me after my ectopic to read that people had conceived again after surgery etc - and with only one tube!

It's still very early days so I am excited but trying to keep calm about getting carried away. Not easy.

Well wishes to everyone else. Xxx

Countmyblessings Thu 10-Jan-13 20:28:14

Well done & congrats Apple27
You are def not on the wrong thread we have all sadly experienced the horror of ectopics!! Me and my 2 and my tube removal and now am 31 weeks with a healthy baby!!!
It brings hope to all who discover this thread at the sad time they are facing! Pls stick around and share! We are here to support each other on this journey some are here for a short time and then share good news! Some are here for longer but I'm sure still hold on to hope that if we are sucessful in our pregnancies it will be their chance soon!

Apple27 Thu 10-Jan-13 20:43:53

Thanks count and congrats to you too!
This early stage is sooo slow with all the waiting, I swear time normally flies by quicker. I must be patient.

Take care all xx

Countmyblessings Thu 10-Jan-13 21:02:47

Time drags I can't lie I have never ever experienced such fear until I fell off a few buses, and then got pregnant found out really early which is a blessing as only 1 tube!!!! But epu was great and supported me all the way from blood tests to confirming baby was in right place to scan heartbeat and regular scans follow up!!!!
Apple just focus 1 day at a time saying today I'm pregnant and loving it!!!!
You will and can make it!!!!

tiredandiwanttogotobed Thu 10-Jan-13 21:22:26

Congratulations Joby!

Apple, phew, that's the first hurdle over, fingers crossed for you.

AGP I hope my story may give you some hope. I had a ruptured EP on 5th Dec 2011, then one MC the following March and another in the April 2012. Obviously I was devastated, DH wasn't the most sympathetic but we agreed to keep TTC til July 2012. I had counselling and as I finally began to accept we'd be a family of 3, and would have to cope with DS (aged 4 at the time) keep requesting a sibling and began to make plans for the future that didn't involve a 2nd child. Anyway, while on holiday in July I had a BFP. I was monitored by an EPU, had several scans and was generally very anxious but am now 31 wks PG.

Count Not long now smile

Tas How are you getting on?

tasmaniandevilchaser Thu 10-Jan-13 22:27:42

Ooh apple!!!! Such brilliant news! So happy for,you! I know time does pass so slowly, just take it one day a time though. The worst bit is over. I don't think there are any rules about who can come on here, we all have the horrible shared experience of EP and we're here to share the journey, whatever that brings. That's my take anyway.

Hi tired, glad to hear all is ok with you. All good here, 23 wks now, starting to relax and trust that it might be ok. I always assumed that after 12 wks I'd magically be happy but I got pneumonia 2 days after the dating scan and that wiped out most of the 2nd trimester. I think i ignored the warning signs as i was so stressed about the pg. Anyway, I'm better now and looking forward to an early mat leave, hoping to go off at 32 wks as have annual leave to use up.

Hi to,everyone else, and berries if you ever lurk, been thinking of you, hope all is well.

Ninjacat Fri 18-Jan-13 12:58:21

Hello ladies, just wanted to check in.
It's been a while since I was on here but really glad to read lots of positive stories.
And welcome Baby Joby!
I'm 35 weeks now and just about trust that things will be ok. I had my ep end of March 2012 and baby is due end of Feb 2013 so its been a bit of an odd year.
Hope everyone keeps going from strength to strength x

tasmaniandevilchaser Sun 20-Jan-13 18:43:40

ninjacat! hello stranger!!! Lovely to hear all is well, keep us posted on arrival of babyninja. I know what you mean about finally starting to trust it will be ok, I used to think that the BFP was the end of the story, but it's a long old journey. So good to think that babies from this thread are starting to arrive. Hope this gives hope to anyone still TTC or anyone lurking.

rechelle Tue 22-Jan-13 21:11:12

Hi everyone,
Sorry it has been so long since I last checked in and so sorry to see so many new members here.
I just wanted to pop in and share that I myself am now 18 weeks pregnant following my ruptured ectopic in August 12. I feel very fortunate and just wanted to say never give up hope and I wish you all the best of luck. x

tasmaniandevilchaser Thu 24-Jan-13 14:27:28

Hi rechelle, nice to hear from you again, and congrats! That's lovely news, hope it hasn't been too stressful a ride.

Hope that everyone else has some good,luck too.

berries don't know if you ever pop back to lurk but hope everything is ok with you.

sarah00001 Fri 25-Jan-13 20:41:16

Hi, I'm looking for a ray of hope after suffering an ectopic pregnancy in my left fallopian tube. Luckily it was discovered early and I had a salpingostomy where they managed to remove the pregnancy and save my tube.

I had chlamydia for 9 months a few years ago and I think that may be what caused the ectopic. Even though the doctors said I had no evidence of scarring in my tubes, I have read that chlamydia can cause an ectopic even without scarring, as can damage the fine hairs within the tubes that push the fertilised egg along. I know that loads of women have had chlamydia for longer than I had it and had no problems with pregnancy, but I guess everyone's different and I was just unlucky.

I feel very down at the moment and I would desperately love to hear from anyone who has had chlamydia and an ectopic pregnancy and then went onto have a successful pregnancy.

Thank you.

Countmyblessings Sat 26-Jan-13 00:20:58

Sarah - so sorry for you finding yourself here and I will say you are def on the right thread for full support!
I have never been in your situation as such so can't give you the hope your looking for but I had 2 ectopics and after tube removal got pregnant fairly quickly and am now 33 weeks!!!
Hold onto hope it will help you through dark times and prevent you from giving up!!!!
Take care and keep posting for support!

sarah00001 Sat 26-Jan-13 13:29:13

Im sorry to hear you had two ectopics. Were they in the same tube and do you know what caused them? Congratulations on your pregnancy. You must be over the moon! Its so encouraging to hear that it is possible to have a healthy pregnancy after an ectopic. I will try to hold onto that and believe it will happen to me. x

Countmyblessings Sat 26-Jan-13 14:42:10

No they were not in the same tube 1 in 06 and no op as caught early! 2012- no pain routine scan after my history to be told ectopic and need emergency op straight away!!!! Gutted!!!!
As I have dc already I took the news and thought me having anymore was over!!! As from 06 to 09 no sniff of another baby then got pregnant had my ds and so I thought I am blessed and no way will get pregnant then behold 2 months later and here I am!
It's been hard at the start and I had to take 1 day at time! I have just last week bought some stuff for hospital bag!!!
But don't know how much support you have in RL but talk and get all support you need!!! Hold onto hope and it will take time and healing!!!

sarah00001 Sun 27-Jan-13 12:55:06

I had a salpingostomy on 16th January to remove an ectopic pregnancy from my left fallopian tube. I had some bleeding for about 2 days after the surgery then nothing since. I had my HCG levels checked and they have gone from 1800 to 48 and I'm due to have them checked again tomorrow. I'm now worried sick that they didn't manage to remove everything and my HCG will have increased.

Is it normal only to bleed for a couple of days after surgery then have no bleeding at all? I am so worried and would love some advice.

Thank you.

Countmyblessings Sun 27-Jan-13 22:57:24

Yes the bleeding is normal but then a few days after bleeding came back and I called it " the shedding" thought it was period at first but its your body understanding your not pregnant so gets rid of the unneeded womb thickness!!!
If worried discuss at next appointment!

joby21 Thu 31-Jan-13 07:52:35

Sarah, sorry to hear your news but hope you find this thread useful. I had my right tube removed at the end of december 2011 and gave birth to my son on new years eve 2012 so got pregnant pretty quickly post surgery! Incidentally i also conceived from my right side despite not having a tube there!

I only had a small amount of bleeding post op until my first post op period at about 4 weeks post op. I never had my hcg levels checked post surgery so can't help you with that side of things. Be kind to yourself, it can take a good few weeks/months to get your head round things and whatever you are feeling is ok!

Hope all the othe one tubed wonder bab bumps are growing nicely.

Berries, hope you are ok.

tasmaniandevilchaser Fri 01-Feb-13 09:57:51

Hi Sarah, I had a tube removed via keyhole surgery about a year ago. I didn't bleed much after, I was a bit surprised as I was 6 wks pg when they operated. They said it was fine, I never really got a clear answer as to why there was so little blood, but it was a bit hazy afterwards, a very difficult time.

Like joby said be very kind to yourself, it can take a while to properly feel yourself again, there can be lots of ups and downs.

Mini tas is doing fine, 26 wks pg now and finally starting to relax and enjoy! A year ago I could never have believed I'd have a bump and be happy again.

AGP07 Sat 02-Feb-13 20:18:36

Taz & tired thanks for your advice. It must've worked as I had a bfp on my daughters 6th birthday. I have been bleeding lightly so have a big day on Monday as appt at EPU. To say I am nervous is an understatement.

sarah I had my tube removed in Feb '12 after an ectopic in April/ May '11. Joby's words are so true, it can take a while to come to terms with the trauma. I bled for a few days after surgery and then my AF came back on schedule, then afterwards my whole cycle has been all over the place for months. After ttc for months hoping for luck to be on my side, but nothing happened. The only month I charted properly I saw that I ovulated a lot later than I thought (day 20) and have just had a BFP.

A friend had posted a quote on FB the day I found out ' the moment you're ready to quit is usually the moment right before a miracle happens....don't give up'.

tasmaniandevilchaser Sun 03-Feb-13 22:11:50

agp congrats! Hope that all goes well tomorrow, keep us posted. How many wks are you now?

AGP07 Mon 04-Feb-13 13:14:35

Didn't go as well as I had hoped. Good news is it isn't ectopic and in the right place, not so good news is that I am supposed to be 7 weeks 3 days based on lmp but CRL only measuring 3.9mm which puts me at 6 weeks. We should have seen a heartbeat today but didn't, so it was inconclusive regarding the viability. They want to scan me next Tues for a definitive answer. The sonographer said she couldn't say it was unviable as there is a pole but based on my dates then could understand my concern. So back to waiting. Not wanting to be gloom and doom but finding myself thinking 'that's it'. It is our last chance, so it's going to be a long old week.

tasmaniandevilchaser Mon 04-Feb-13 20:27:24

Hi agp well it is good news it's not ectopic, that tube is working. Sorry to,hear that you've got to wait another week. The dates are not that far out, could you ovulated a bit later this cycle? I hope that next week brings good news, keep busy.

Is it your age that is making you think this is your last chance? I conceived this bump turning 39, so it is possible.

AGP07 Mon 04-Feb-13 22:32:44

Hi Tas, I did ovulate late that month as I was charting and after spiking my temp on day 20, I did a test the next morn and said I was ovulating. The reason of the gloom is they said I should see a heartbeat on my dates and if the CRL is greater than 2mm, however 5-10% may not see until over 5mm. The sonographer then said at my dates you would expect the pole to be about 8/9mm.

The 'last chance' bit is that my DH and I agreed that we wouldn't try anymore after my daughter turned 6. I said that I couldn't bear anymore losses and the 'trying' can consume you. I added up that i have spent nearly 10 months pregnant over the past few years, without the joy of a baby at the end (sad).

It was some kind of sign having the positive test on my daughters birthday, so in a way if this doesn't work out at least it's definitive for us and I won't ever wonder if we gave up a month too early. I am so grateful it's not ectopic, as I think I can handle a miscarriage a lot better (sorry if that sounds odd to some - just speaking on how I feel) as the EP floored me and took a while to get myself up off the floor. If by some chance a miracle happens then we would be ecstatic, however am realistic that this outcome is slim. It's going to be a very long week so need to distract myself. Thanks for your wishes of hope. X

Countmyblessings Tue 05-Feb-13 21:53:44

AGP- just take it one day at a time it's very hard to do but hold onto hope that all will be well!!!!
The journey we have to go through is a hard one!
We are here to support you!!!

sarah00001 Thu 07-Feb-13 14:45:28

Hi all, I'm considering acupuncture in the hope it might improve my chances of having a healthy pregnancy next time. Does anyone know of a good acupuncturist in the Cambridge area? I have a list of clinics from the British Acupuncture Council but I would also like to go on personal recommendation. Thank you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now