Lower abdominal pain 2 wks after miscarriage??

(13 Posts)
Wombat33 Tue 21-Sep-10 15:25:27

I had a natural miscarriage at 7 weeks just over two weeks ago. A scan at the time confirmed the miscarriage was complete and I stopped bleeding after 7 days. Since then, my body seems to have been getting back to normal very quickly (I'm temping and using OPKs as want to conceive again as quickly as possible - they suggest I'm ovulating about now). However, in the last few days I've had an achy pain in my lower abdomen and undercarriage (sorry if TMI!). My GP tested for a UTI and the results have just come back negative. I'm slightly disappointed, if that's the right word, because I was hoping that a straight forward course of antibiotics would sort me out!! On the other hand, it could just be my body re-adjusting, or stress, or even some sort of IBS due to stress. My worry is that I have some sort of undiagnosed infection or problem (though no abnormal discharge or temperature).

Anyone else had any experience of this kind of discomfort or any ideas what it might be??

belgo Tue 21-Sep-10 15:28:36

Could it be ovulation pain?

If it was a complete natural mc at 7 weeks, and a scan has confirmed it's complete, it's unlikely to be a problem due to the miscarraige.

As you say, it could be stress and your body getting back to normal.

I became pregnant just two or three weeks after a miscarriage at 6/7 weeks - so good luck!

Wombat33 Tue 21-Sep-10 15:43:45

Thanks Belgo I'm hoping to follow in your footsteps on the conception front. Fingers crossed!

I don't think it's ov pain as it's totally different to anything I've experienced before - a really low ache - very strange.

belgo Tue 21-Sep-10 15:46:00

Does paracetamol help?

PomPotty Tue 21-Sep-10 15:47:08

No experience of this (I had erpc after my mmc) but if it continues or gets worse, maybe request another scan to double check it was a complete mc.

Wombat33 Tue 21-Sep-10 16:30:53

Thanks Pom. I actually had two scans (on day 1 and day 3 of the miscarriage) and they both showed it was complete, so I think the EPU might lose patience withme if I demanded another one, but I will bear it in mind if I feel worse. First off my going to try and get to see my GP (however long that might take!).

PomPotty Tue 21-Sep-10 16:36:57

ok, sorry - just a thought. I hope you get a GP appt quickly - in the meantime take it easy and use paracetemol/hot water bottle/choc to make yourself more comfortable

Wombat33 Tue 21-Sep-10 17:14:32

Thanks Pom - I hope my post above didn't come across as abrupt - I would gladly go for another scan - anything to check everything is okay and get sorted out, I'm just worried the docs will think I'm a complete hypochondriac. This was my first pregnancy and first miscarriage and I've totally lost track of what's 'normal'...

KTRace Tue 21-Sep-10 18:46:08

Does it feel like everything is falling out down there? That is how I would describe the pain/sensation I have had with both of my MCs and infact how I felt post birth of my DD. I would definately see a doctor and make sure everything is ok.

Sorry for your loss Wombat and I hope your body starts to feel better soon. x

InMyPrime Tue 21-Sep-10 21:37:26

Hi wombat - I think we MC-ed around the same time, so maybe I can help. I'm not charting or anything at the moment as a.) am fed up and b.) am not in the frame of mind to try again yet but I'm pretty sure I ovulated last week and I got some funny twinges around the same time too. The pain I got was some tingling and cramps around the womb area, on the left side, which weirdly for me was the side the baby had been lying on. It creeped me out a bit but was just some intermittent cramps and twinges here and there. I also had really bad bloating / water retention. It seemed to go away quickly though. I had no persistent pain and nothing I needed painkillers for.

It could be your uterus settling back down again? No harm to go and see your GP again though. The aftercare for MCs seems pretty minimal so they can hardly complain of you being hypochondriac. I've had no follow-up from my GP at all ( but then again have not had obvious problems either).

MummyAbroad Thu 23-Sep-10 03:51:26

Hi wombat

tis me from t'other thread.

Sorry you have been feeling pain. I absolutely agree with going back to your GP/EPU. Miscarriage is a pretty major event and you do need to be monitored carefully afterwards, anything out of the ordinary needs to be looked into because there are some rare but serious complications that could ensue. Ongoing pain is not "normal."

Is your pain getting worse? Try keeping a note during the morning and marking on a scale of 1-10. If the pain hasnt gone by midday go back to your GP or phone the EPU and tell then simply that it hurts, its their job to find out why!

Are you doing HPT's? you say that your OPK's are positive (lots of them?), I believe sometimes this can show up positive for HCG as well. It could be that a small amount of retained tissue is making your HCG level rise again. (I had a "clear" scan and then later it was discovered there was retained tissue, so it can happen) The GP can do a blood test to check your exact level.

If you do have an infection then it can be cleared up with a simple course of antibiotics, so its WELL worth getting things checked out now.

Big hugs for you. xxxx

Wombat33 Thu 23-Sep-10 10:36:16

Thanks all. I did several HPTs over the first two weeks and they came back down to negative (and seem to be staying there), I've done OPKs for the last 7 days and got 2 days of positives around the time I would expect ovulation, and now negative again. I might try another HPT though Mummya just to be sure - it is probably about 5 or 6 days since I did the last one. The good news is the pain does seem to be getting a bit better. And Inmyprime it did build up at around the same time as I got my positive opks and has been receeding since. It's nothing like any ov pain I've had before, but then I've never oved two weeks after a MC before either (this was my first pg and first MC) so you might be right.

I went to see my GP again yesterday and he did another urine test which came back negative, so it really doesn't seem to be and UTI. He's referred me for another pelvic scan to check for abcesses (yuck!) but I imagine they'll check for retained tissue too.

MummyAbroad Thu 23-Sep-10 13:13:52

Oh thats great news, so glad you are getting help from the GP and getting scanned, let us know how you get on. xxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now