Middle school in Bromsgrove, Catshill or Parkside

(20 Posts)
popserinis Wed 09-Apr-14 07:31:55

Hi, is there anyone from Bromsgrove that can give me advice on which school to choose. I am relocating to the area and these schools are equal distance

Sparklingbrook Wed 09-Apr-14 07:48:58

Hi pop, I am from not too far from there but no experience of either school I am sorry. My DS2 goes to Middle School too, and I really like the 3 tier system.

Good luck with the move. x

popserinis Wed 09-Apr-14 07:58:47

Thank you x

Sparklingbrook Wed 09-Apr-14 08:09:27

Oh and I love it in Worcestershire-it's really very nice. smile

popserinis Wed 09-Apr-14 08:14:58

Where abouts are you? Lots of lovely areas around

Sparklingbrook Wed 09-Apr-14 08:26:55

I am in Droitwich.

Midlandsnamechanger Wed 09-Apr-14 18:55:29

Parkside seems to be quite good (just had Ofsted) but I don't know anything about Catshill.
I have had an awful experience with another local middle school but it's neither of those. Good luck with the move.

Sparklingbrook Wed 09-Apr-14 19:00:30

Is Parkside the one that is brand new (ish).

Midlandsnamechanger Wed 09-Apr-14 19:09:27

Yes, modern with good facilities.

crazycrofter Thu 10-Apr-14 17:52:27

I went to Catshill in the 80s and loved it!! It went through a rough patch a few years ago but it seems to be on the up now. My parents live in Catshill so they tend to hear stuff about the local schools' reputations. We are moving back to the area soon and I like the look of Catshill Middle for my kids.

crazycrofter Thu 10-Apr-14 17:53:41

Midlands, which school did you have problems with?

Midlandsnamechanger Thu 10-Apr-14 20:19:03

One near the station hmm

popserinis Fri 11-Apr-14 11:36:12

Thank you so much for the feedback, I like the fact that catshill is smaller but can see they had a rough patch, but recent results seem very good.

suze28 Sun 04-May-14 09:36:57

If you want to PM me I am a Bromsgrove teacher at one of the first schools that feeds into the middle you mention and have DDs in the middle school system here. Very happy to help.

Sammy3 Tue 13-May-14 00:52:33

I live in the area but my kids are at St Johns Middle which I think is excellent. Sorry to add another school to your decision but I highly recommend it.

Kiddyboomboom Mon 27-Apr-15 05:52:24

I m from overseas and my agent refers Bromsgrove School to my DS who is 11 years old. He is cheerful, outgoing and very musical. He plays both the piano and cello and has reached diploma level. He likes science, math, history and tennis. His grades are always high in the school. Oundle has accepted him but on the wait list. Can anyone give me some advice and suggestions which school is strong at music and has good ethos. Academic result is also my concern. Thank you v much.

jackieg72 Tue 02-Feb-16 14:21:14

Hi, I wonder if you can advise on which middle school in Bromsgrove. We are moving into the area from overseas. We will be working near Lickey, can you advise on where to live? thanks so much

Sotaku Mon 15-Feb-16 05:54:00

Jackieg, the school choice depends on whether you want to live in Lickey Hills or Bromsgrove. Lickey Hills is 2 tier (primary and secondary) but I don't know much about how good the schools are there. Bromsgrove is three tier (first, middle and high schools). The best middle schools are St John's Church of England Academy and Aston Fields. Both were judged outstanding by Ofsted. I only have personal experience of St John's which I think is a brilliant school. My DC (one still attending) enjoyed it there and received an excellent education. The two who moved on to South Bromsgrove high have found the high school to be a disappointment though. They feel the teaching and pastoral care are nowhere near as good as St John's. It might just be a hard act to follow. I only know second hand info about Aston Fields from friends. One moved her DC to St John's due to bullying problems at Aston Fields. Others also mentioned bullying was an issue there but I do know others who are very happy with Aston Fields.

Sotaku Mon 15-Feb-16 06:06:34

Where to live depends on whether you prefer to live near town, on a new estate, near or in the countryside, etc. and what budget you have. Barnt Green and Blackwell are more affluent areas but are near the countryside so it would mean school buses or driving DC to school. The Oakalls is a large newish estate which is just not my cup of tea, since it's just house after house with no shops or even a chippie, but is very popular. Stoke Heath is also a newish estate but much smaller and less expensive than the Oakalls generally and is walking distance to town. Finstall is another popular area that's near the countryside but is close enough to town and the schools to walk. I could go on but let us know what sort of area you're interested in and I'm sure you'll get a few suggestions.

poocatcherchampion Fri 22-Apr-16 10:40:27

I'm in the area and we have chosen park side middle school for our children and meadows first school which is onsite.

Basically all the school in and near the town are fine so your decision can be more about where you want to live. We wanted the be walkable to town but near the m42 junction and we have achieved that. Its great.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now