Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

I'm going away, can I avoid monthly bleed on HRT?

(10 Posts)
Missbopeep Tue 05-Feb-13 22:28:54
Missbopeep Tue 05-Feb-13 22:20:12

You must be careful when messing about with the different tablets. If you have 2 tablets in a pack rather than one containing both hormones, you need to take them. The progestins are to make you shed the uterine lining/build up- to prevent cancer of the endometrium - lining.

If you go for too many months with no bleed then you are at a greater risk of having a thick lining which could turn cancerous.

If you take tables which are "no bleed" then the 2 normones are combined in 1 pill which means you don't get a bleed, but your uterine lining stays thin due to daily progestins.

Most drs will not prescribe no bleed preps to women under 54, or who have not bee period-free for at least 2 years, as there is still a chance you could be having the occasional period, naturally.

Best discuss with your dr.

patty63 Tue 05-Feb-13 12:57:44

Think i might ask my GP for pills that dont make you bleed...i dont really want to see my monthlys again at 49 ! Ive been on elliste duet for several months now, although they do help with hot flushes. ive been taking the greeen pill to stop my period but this hasnt worked not sure if to leave off them or not or contiue taking them.

0blio Sun 03-Feb-13 21:33:38

I hated having a monthly bleed when I was taking HRT so my GP prescribed a kind that didn't cause bleeding.

Sorry, can't remember the name of it as it was a while ago, but I do remember it only cost one prescription charge, not two.

thenightsky Sun 03-Feb-13 20:53:16

I mess around with my pills all the time to fit my social life. I have big yellow ones all the time, plus little red ones from day 17 to 28. I often don't bother with the little red ones at all (just throw them away) so miss a whole month of period out. Sometimes I delay taking the red ones by a week to move my period on a week. I'm doing it this month too actually.

patty63 Sun 03-Feb-13 20:47:30

im tying to delay my period on elleste duet but getting mixed up a little...i have two green pills to finish then my period should start....i didnt take the 2 green pills instead , toda i took a white pill..i feel like ive done this wrong. i dont want my period to start as i go away fri,..this morning i thought i had come on - it was just spotting though due to the fact i missed green pills. is there away round this ..can i still stop my period for fri??

without Sat 29-May-10 10:35:08

I'm on the same and very naughtily I just mess around with my tablets. I take an extra couple of pills of whichever colour I need to, to delay my period... hasn't seemed to do any damage yet nor alter my period when it does come.

purplepeony Mon 24-May-10 18:19:16

OP was thi info any good and have you found a way round your problem?

purplepeony Wed 19-May-10 20:55:25

Not sure sorry !

If your tablets contain both estrogen and progestogen then the bleed will surely happen automatically- do you have a break for a monthly bleed?

I am on a 3-monthly HRT cycle- I use estrogen gel daily and take progestogen for 10 days every 3 months. I can take the progest. as and when to fit in with anything going on in my life every 12-13 weeks and 3 days after stopping it I have a period.

Earthymama Wed 19-May-10 10:13:29

I'm happily taking Elleste Duet and wondered if I could avoid my monthly bleed without any ill effects?
How would I do it?
I thought Id consult the wisdom of MN before ringing doctors.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now