Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

Menopause at 47 - surely this is too young?

(59 Posts)
KerryMumbles Mon 15-Mar-10 11:19:32

I had my 2 at 36 and 40. periods started oging a bit wonky this past year. cycles a bit longer or shorter, skipped one earlier in the year. Now i've skipped two in a row. did pregnancy test when a week late after skipping first cycle and that was negative. so i thought i could fairly safely say i was not pg. now this is 2nd cycle i've skipped (was due on Friday). I've had symptoms of impending af for days (my legs always hurt like hell and cramp when period is coming on) but no af. i have not pg tested this month cause figure what's the point?

isn't 47 a bit young to stop af altogther?

sad

DecorHate Mon 15-Mar-10 11:25:35

I'm a couple of years younger than you and haven't had a period for a few months. Pretty sure I am not pregnant (though I was slightly worried about a recent thread recounting lots of tales of false negatives!)

From talking to a few people I think this is pretty normal for perimenopause but it's possible my periods will come back before they are gone for good iyswim. Am going to talk to the GP soon in any case...

bruffin Mon 15-Mar-10 11:37:12

I'm 47 have been perimenopausal for about 5 years. This time last year I started missing periods. I only had 4 between January and July but then started having them regularly again.

KerryMumbles Mon 15-Mar-10 11:38:35

ah. i'm 48 in 2 months. have had blood tests thyroid, etc. etc. etc. all normal. but i know that is it was normal at the time. think this was back in Nov.

i could be pregnant i suppose but am thinking it's highly unlikely.

can you have period symptoms and be pregnant? or period symptoms and no period = menopause?

sad

KerryMumbles Mon 15-Mar-10 11:39:09

bruffin - is that normal at our age?

bruffin Mon 15-Mar-10 12:01:20

When I went to see doctor about 3 years ago she didn't say I was young and from what I can gather peri menopause can last for 10 years, so I didn't really think it was young.

As I said I had 7 months of missing every other period then went back to being fairly regular.

Buda Mon 15-Mar-10 12:05:29

I will be 46 in May and periods have been all over the place for a couple of years now Kerry. So it could be perimenopause.

KerryMumbles Mon 15-Mar-10 12:07:32

how does one know if one is pregnant or perimenopausal? i am assuming pm and not pg and am not going to be spending fortunes on pg tests every month. but is that stupid?

MammKernow Mon 15-Mar-10 12:09:20

I'm 37, and fully menopausal so it can happen at pretty much any age. There are a number of tests that can be done to determine whether or not you are (peri)menopausal.

In my case (not sure if same across country), i had a free (NHS) blood test to determine hormone levels. This is not definitive tho, and we paid for a private test to determine follicle (sp? eggs, anyway) levels and found i had none left (ttc dc2 at time so rather upsetting). I had no periods for approx 6 months before finding this out.

hth

purplepeony Mon 15-Mar-10 13:40:06

the menopause happens anywhere between 45- 55.
You are not considered menopausal until you have had your final period.
What you have now is peri-meno- this can last for anything up to 10 years in some women.

You can have period symptoms and no periods near meno- they are called phantom periods.

Many women have reached meno by aged 48, so you are not unusual.

You need a series of blood tests to tell you what's what if it bothers you. a single blood test is no good as it only tells you how your hormones are on that day.

I had a blood test which showed I was post meno and went on to have several more periods- and have just had notehr light one at 54 after a gap of 18 months ( been checked out by gynae by the way.)

I had normal periods almost until I was 52- shorter cycles some months but no gaps at all. Then bewteen 52-53 I missed a couple but generally they just became lighter and stopped at 53.5yrs...until recently!

Everyone is different.

what you must do is use contraception until it is 2 years after your final period, as you can still release eggs now and then.

Sparks Mon 15-Mar-10 14:05:10

Not too young at all. I had similar at 46, am 48 now and still have periods sometimes.

I found this site helpful.

OrmRenewed Mon 15-Mar-10 14:06:30

I'm 45 and I've been perimenopausal for about 2 years.

KerryMumbles Mon 15-Mar-10 16:50:40

pp - most people have reached meno by 48 or perimeno?

purplepeony Tue 16-Mar-10 15:39:48

Most people have reached peri-meno by age 48.
The average age of meno ( last period) is 51.

So as the peri canlast 5 years or more, the symptoms you are having are normal.

Don't have exact figures, but think that something like 25% of women are post-meno at 48.

bratnav Tue 16-Mar-10 15:42:18

I know it isn't the norm but I am expecting mine any time from now and I am 31 sad Early menopause runs in our family.

bellissima Tue 16-Mar-10 15:45:58

Well I'm 47 and my (thirty-something male) GP cheerfully tells me that my pre-period headaches (whether on or off pill) might 'soon be over, you never know'. In fact he seems to present the menopause as a bit of a breeze hmm, which isn't what I've heard elsewhere. In fact I still have regular periods (and headaches!) but he certainly doesn't seem to think I'm too young.

mothernature Wed 17-Mar-10 22:52:38

Most of you mention missing peiods, what about double periods, i had my normal period a week later had another that lasted 9 days, they are not light either, anyone else have similar?

KerryMumbles Thu 18-Mar-10 09:54:01

mothernature - that happened to me as well. in november i had one that lasted almost 2 weeks!

i did pregnancy test just to be sure and it was -

so fuck....

i guess this is the slippery slope down to old fucking age....

Bonsoir Thu 18-Mar-10 09:59:04

mothernature - I had a "double period" about six weeks ago - a normal period on time followed by another mega period a week later. And since then, nada. I have very recently started to get other peri-menopausal symptoms too - hot flushes in the night that keep me awake for an hour or so.

Grrrrr. I shall be 44 in three months' time, so think this is all normal.

KerryMumbles Thu 18-Mar-10 10:00:14

does anyone else have to pee a lot?

KerryMumbles Thu 18-Mar-10 10:00:51

and despite heavy workouts 5x a week and barely eating I am GAINING weight around waist.

sad

Bonsoir Thu 18-Mar-10 10:02:40

I haven't gained weight, but fat is gathering on my once pancake like tummy angry

mothernature Thu 18-Mar-10 20:48:10

KerryMumbles & Bonsoir thanks for coming back to me sounds like I will have to monitor my once clock like period. hmm

LadyLapsang Sun 21-Mar-10 19:55:31

Hi there,

Well I'm 47 and have been using HRT patches for over 18 months. If you are experiencing symptoms then it's worth getting your hormone level re-checked; I had one within normal spectrum but did not feel well so had it re-done few months later. The female GP I saw eventually had just come from gynae and was up to date on HRT / research. She said that often women that have early menopause experience worse symptoms. The HRT worked to stop all night sweats / night waking / hot flushes within a week. I have put on weight, especially around the middle (gone up 1 dress size) but not sure how much down to HRT & how much down to menopause. For me the impact on quality of life is worth it.

Dumbledoresgirl Sun 21-Mar-10 19:58:22

I thought the average time for the menopause was between 45 and 55. So at 47 you are not even outside the norm. So entirely possible.

I am 45 and have had all sorts of weirdy symptoms for a couple of years now, but no sign of the periods stopping or missing any yet (unfortunately)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now