Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

How long does it take HRT to start working?

(151 Posts)
higgle Wed 12-Aug-09 11:28:54

My GP prescribed me Kliofem on Monday, strted taking it yesterday ( Tuesday) my only menopausal problem is hot flushes and they are driving me mad - how long will it take for the effects of the HRT to kick in? desperate to see an improvement. Also does anyone have any good or bad experiences on this drug?

lainey1957 Sun 24-Aug-14 14:02:41

I have been on and off HRT for 61/2 years and am now 57. I have had 2 breakthrough bleeds, the last one being in February this year. My gynaecologist thinks that I had a period...at my age. Every time I come off HRT I have really bad menopause symptoms - hot sweats frequently day and night which make me feel sick/dizzy sometimes and was so sick of having a damp bed. Thankfully, I have been put back on HRT Everol Conti Patches two weeks ago. Not kicked in yet but hanging on in there. Also Vagifem for dryness and pain during sex.

I noticed on the blog that progesterone gel or cream is often used at the same time as the patches. This has not been suggested so far. Can anyone give me more information on it's use?

Roster101 Thu 21-Aug-14 10:40:29

I used Fluoxitine for two years - it reduced the flushes slightly, which was better than nothing. I've just come off them and started Kilofem. I previously explained how I was feeling on them but now things are improving. I am now having maybe one or two flushes a day / night. This is wonderful - I don't look as if someone's thrown a bucket of water over me any more because even these flushes are bearable. I hope this continues and I can actually live a normal life.

rubyruu Wed 06-Aug-14 18:26:35

Hi there, I have just registered to this site and tried to read as many posts as I can.
After being told by the GP I am on the menopause he has suggested 1mg of Elleste daily. Having being a complete nightmare for the past year and having NO sexdrive, bloating, exhausted, no interests in anything, forgetful, you name it I was it.
I am a 41 year old fitness instructor and being continuously in front of people i needed to make sure I was in top form. Just hoping I can keep the weight gain under control as at the minute im feeling very uncomfortable with the bloating. Was thinking of trying a herbal remedy for it, but will give this a go first to see how I feel. I have been on Fluoxitine ( anti-depressants ) for over a year so let's hope I can come off them soon. Thank you for listening hope it makes sense. Ruth

Roster101 Mon 04-Aug-14 08:13:06

I just read your comments about flushes and Kliofem. Glad I did. I thought I was going out if my mind. I've been taking Kliofem for 5 days and my flushes have been worse than ever too. I'm not sleeping because of them and I'm dripping wet day and night. Here's hoping for the same results as you.

Pinkfrocks Sun 03-Aug-14 17:45:40

If you aren't getting much improvement when on HRT that is rather unusual.
Have you tried other brands with a higher dose of oestrogen- it's lack of this that causes the flushes.
Most HRT comes with oestrogen levels of under 1mg , 1mg, 1,5, 2 mgs and more.
If whatever you were using didn't help then you need to ask for a higher dose- ideally a patch or gel as these are often absorbed better than tablets which have to go through the digestive system first and some is lost.

Oestrogel is applied morning and or evening and the dose is from 1 squirt from the can up to 4 ( that would be equivalent to 3mgs.) You can easily adjust the dose yourself - giving each dose a couple of weeks or so to see if you get improvement.

I'd def suggest you move off tablets because in any case they have a higher risk of strokes /blood clots whereas patches and gels don't.

Roster101 Sun 03-Aug-14 16:31:22

I was so pleased to read your original message - it could have been mine.(higgle) I have been having menopausal flushes for 12 years and I am 59 and now desperate. I have tried just about everything under the sun - Black cohosh, Menopace, Elleste duet etc.. I have always given them a good try of between 1 and 2 years but had little relief. At the moment they are really bad - I am suffering from 3 or 4 night sweats each night, and lots of flushes during the day. Daytime ones can be so bad that I sometimes feel dizzy and faint. This proves to be a real problem as I am a teacher of small children. My doctor prescribed Kliofem last week, so I am living in hope that this will help before the Autumn term commences. I am four days in- I hope I will have the success that you did. I will log back in at a later date with progress.

juules111 Fri 18-Jul-14 08:16:35

Anybody have anxiety annd depression along with hot flashes? Just started estrogen patch and progesterone tabs. Any idea how long it will take. I am so mentally incapacitated at times I'm finding it very hard to function normally!:-(
Any ideas how long, so tired.

higgle Fri 11-Jul-14 18:46:28

strange to find this thread that I started in 2009 bavck to the start with the same question, about 2 weeks ( though you will know that by now!)
5 years on I'm still on HRT and wil carry on indefinately, seems to suit my skin, hair and libido.

Pollywag66 Tue 10-Jun-14 07:09:51

I started elleste duet 1mg yesterday how long before I see any changes

suorourk Wed 28-May-14 12:45:12

Hi, I am 49 years old and was first diagnosed with the menopause in August 2011. During the past near on 3 years I hardly ever had more than 4 hours sleep a night as the hot flushes were so severe they kept waking me up. It was draining and looking back I don't know how I coped with a full time job, a house move and the loss of both parents. In 2012 I was prescribed both kliovance and elleste duet and an anti depressant I forget the name of - all of which either made me feel sick, gave me headaches or heavy blood loss. I threw away all three and decided to opt for the herbal route. I did a lot of research and took just about every otc medicine you could buy, spending a small fortune in the process but nothing helped. The night sweats increased to day sweats where I could turn purple and have colleagues just stop and stare at me. I couldn't take much more when in April 2014 my doctor prescribed Kliofem. In the first 10 days of taking this hrt the hot flushes were worse than ever. Then the unthinkable happened - they became less and less fierce and by day 16 had disappeared altogether. There is no magical treatment for the menopause and I know lots of people swear by diet. There are lots of arguments for and against HRT. But my advice is not to suffer if you don't need to. Life is short.

Hotflush14 Fri 16-May-14 10:26:23

As a add on to the above I did try all the alternatives to HRT ...but for me they did not work.

Hotflush14 Fri 16-May-14 10:24:59

So glad I have found a place to say how I feel! The last couple of years I have felt so not me... Tired, lethargic, grumpie, crying, anger, no labido at all..so much so my husband really does not like me..
Three weeks ago I gave in and had a hysterectomy, started HRT last week for all of the above with hot flushes and constant awakening at night time watching the clock through out the night, forgetting everything and panic attacks with shortness of breath.
I hope the HRT works, as in wish to feel like me again and I really hope my husband sticks with me.
The joy of being a female..not...

Kazagonkrazy52 Fri 09-May-14 08:02:24

Hi everyone, just started on prempac c! Soo relieved to see I'm not on my own in the middle of the night with the 'meercat' amongst all the other symptoms which I have all of them I might add!! I'm on my 3rd tablet, anyone on the same meds tell me when I might see a light at the end of the tunnel! Or what to hope for in the next week or so? Or am I asking for too much too soon???

lightenupjacq Mon 14-Apr-14 15:57:01

wow, reading all of this is a double edged sword. On the one hand Im relieved, like most of us, to know im not alone in this menopausal experience. On the other - well considering the severity of our symptoms its just dreadful that its all so hush hush that few of us knew what it would be like. Its hard to believe that mature women all through history have been dealing with this so quietly... what an indictment of society that it cant be discussed, and of course with youth being all that matters in the media then women are trying harder than ever i suppose to hide it. But gee, I can cope with all these hot flushes - have had them every 20 minutes of so for 4 years, but the anxiety and depression and loss of libido are life changing. Not sure Ive felt anything for ages now - quite dead inside - but how strong and nurturing and responsible we are to just carry on looking after those we love because thats just what women do. The hardest thing is trying so had to look and behave normally when I feel as though Im hardly alive most of the time. No symptoms before menpoause, then bang, its like a big part of who you are is stolen. And reading all of this makes me nervous that so many people haven't really had a great improvement. I start this week. however I hope these 2 things might be helpful - I started taking sage last month and its really helped the flushes - worth a try. And last week I started using Garcinia Carbogia (the natural weight loss supplement recommended by Dr Oz) and for the first time since menopause began I havent felt depressed or anxious! I just now went back to a website discussing its health benefits and found that it actually lists "boosting serotonin levels", so I'd HIGHLY recommend that too for the depression. No libido but at least I feel balanced and calm. Best wishes everyone.

Joloucart Sun 13-Apr-14 08:22:16

Hi. I am new to the forum. Wanted to share a couple of things. Been peri for ages but about 2 months ago experienced first night sweats. They were short lived! Had joint pain for ages.feel like I have pmt most of the time, skin dry etc etc. so went to my gp and after a couple of appointments he asked what I wanted to do..I wanted to try a patch so for one month or max of three he has put me on evorel 25 very low dose of oestrogen only to see what happens....he felt I needed a small oestrogen boost and I guess for a month oestrogen on its own wont harm. I will report back to him and tell home how it affects my cycle, mood etc. however I have also been told that I am pretty much anaemic and have been for a while..and this doesn't help symptoms at all, in fact it can mimic some of the symptoms..so I am dosing up one iron. Only day three of the patch so not sure anything has happened yet!! I will report back in case that helps anyone!

gillian9879 Wed 09-Apr-14 04:41:22

I've been on bio identical for almost a month, still getting hot flashes. They have decrease a bit, the intensity is still the same though. Do I need to give it more time ?

Fran2405 Tue 25-Mar-14 14:13:39

I started taking elleste duet 14 days ago and I'm not getting as many hot flushes, I also take sage tablets 400mg for sweats and they have almost stopped, I find vitamin E and omega 3 have also helped.. I'm feeling more myself now than I have done for weeks

Nancy66 Sun 16-Mar-14 15:35:20

I'm going to have to disagree with that 'rule' I think 3 weeks is enough time to have felt some benefit!

jaffacakesallround Sun 16-Mar-14 15:12:30

Nancy- the 'rule' is to give it 3 months. 20 days is really not long enough to give any product a fair trial.

Nancy66 Sun 16-Mar-14 12:00:05

I am about 20 days in to my first cycle of HRT now and it's making no difference whatsoever. I do think that by now I should have felt at least some improvement in how I feel. So am going to ask Dr to tweak protocol.

jennymarie30 Fri 14-Mar-14 17:00:10

So pleased I found this site - I am just back from a gynae appointment following my hysterectomy and have been put on HRT Climaval but nervous of actually taking it! The past few months have been absolute hell and I am desperate for relief from the worst symptoms - panic attacks, anxiety, palpitations and hot flushes. I have felt like I am going mad, literally losing my mind.
I actually had my ovaries removed in 2005 as a preventative move since my mother had died at 52 from cancer and my maternal grandmother also. I was put on HRT after surgery and felt great. Then I was treated for thyroid cancer in 2007 and had a total thyroidectomy. I was continued on Kliovance combined HRT until 2011 when it was stopped (I was then 48)
The past couple of years have been awful, particularly with anxiety and palpitations and really impacted on my life - work in particular.

Cetti - I can completely understand how you feel - I am a secondary (high) school teacher and have been signed off for weeks after having a terrible panic attack in class. I was put through Occupational Health and am now due back work on Monday for a phased return. The male assessor I saw says I am fit for work and that I won't know if I can cope until I try - I guess he is right but that can't help how feel about it - petrified of going back into the class with all that challenge and responsibility.
Wow - just realised I am having a rant!!
I will take the pill and hope it can make a difference in time and try not to worry about the potential health risks. I just know I can't carry on like this.
This site has given me hope!

Cetti Thu 13-Mar-14 14:14:28

It has been such a relief to read all the comments about just how bad the menopause can be as I have reached a state of desperation and have just started HRT. I'm 49.
I'm a teacher and trying to control teens/ get them through exams on no sleep and hot flushes has been a nightmare. Almost as bad has been the lack of sympathy or understanding with mutterings about Occupational Health being called in just in case I faced loss of earnings (obviously I'm just a wingey time waster). I too am like a meerkat, binging awake several times per night and waking up soaking wet. Fortunately I'm separated, I can't imagine how appalling life would be with my less than ideal husband. As it is my teenagers have had to get used to mum abandoning them before bedtime and forgetting to fill in consent forms. Yesterday I had a near miss with a white van on the way to work, fortunately they weren't in the car.
Today I'm not at work because I can barely move.
I thought long and hard about HRT because I don't do pills lightly. I trained to do NFP so I had no need for oral contaceptives. I also have a family history of nasties. Thus I've worked my way through sage drops, red clover, ADs and clonidine. Nothing works, as for sleeping tablets - ha!ha!
So thank you anyone who has posted here, I feel normal!

FuckyNell Tue 18-Feb-14 22:15:54

Hi hotpink has there been any improvement, even slightly?

If not go back to your gp next week maybe, there's no reason for you to be suffering so.

I'll go and have a looky at kliogest to see what's what smile

Hotpink2 Tue 18-Feb-14 20:24:12

Thanks FuckyNell for your support it's very hard getting my head around the fact that I have started the menopause let alone dealing with these dreadful hot sweats. When I talk to my friends about the hot flushes it's" well we all get a hot flush every now and again" eh no not like this. I'v dealt with a lot the last while and I'm not one to moan but I just can't deal with this my whole day and night is revolving around the sweat, I bring to bed 2 ice packs I put one at the back of my neck and one on my chest after about an hour they end up like hot water bottles. Work is a night mare.

Weegiemum Sun 16-Feb-14 23:00:16

I tried prempak when I went into a prem menopause at 38. It ended up exacerbating an existing kidney condition made worse in pregnancy, so was stopped after a month.

My bone density is good (was a runner when younger and, helpfully being overweight increases bone density!!) I eat a low-fat high calcium diet (can't take calcium supplements due to the kidney stones but dietary calcium seems ok - though I'm very fed up of yoghurt and cottage cheese!!!). High dose vitD and a B-vit complex have helped too.

I'm now 43, menopause seems pretty much over from my hormone tests.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now