Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

How long does it take HRT to start working?

(138 Posts)
higgle Wed 12-Aug-09 11:28:54

My GP prescribed me Kliofem on Monday, strted taking it yesterday ( Tuesday) my only menopausal problem is hot flushes and they are driving me mad - how long will it take for the effects of the HRT to kick in? desperate to see an improvement. Also does anyone have any good or bad experiences on this drug?

purplepeony Fri 14-Aug-09 08:26:31

I do not take this though I am on HRT- I use an oestrogen gel and take progestins separately for a few days every 3 months.

I found that my symptoms - mainly flushes and poor sleep- improved after about a week-10 days.

Good luck!

higgle Sat 15-Aug-09 18:06:26

So far just feel murderously premenstrual, but this is OK provided the hot flushes go next week!

MorocconOil Tue 25-Aug-09 11:02:56

Don't know about HRT, but I've been taking Black Cohosh and hot flushes have stopped. Maybe worth a try.

higgle Wed 02-Sep-09 20:10:09

I can now answer my own question! (just in case anyone else wants to know) In 10 days the hot episodes were down to about 3 a day and after a fortnight they had completely gone. I still feel a little bit moody - and a bit more frisky than usual too grinso all in all a very positive experience so far.

alypaly Sun 06-Sep-09 19:32:04

mine started working in about 3 days. It was brilliant. It was called Elleste duet 2mg.Life saver. only on it for 4 months...decided to come of it...had a few flushes but nothing major. Wish i hadnt suffered for 3 years prior to getting it

I logged on to post this very question!

Very encouraging responses.

Alypaly, may I ask why you stopped?

ThingOne Fri 11-Sep-09 22:07:31

Obviously coming late to the OP. I went on evorel sequi patches and felt pretty normal within a week.

alypaly Tue 15-Sep-09 00:11:58

mine took 4 days on Ellest duet 2 mg...what a life saver.. came off them after 4 months and no trouble since...BRRRilliant!!!!

xal Mon 05-Oct-09 12:24:27

Help I have just started taking Elleste Duet 1mg today when will it start working and what canI expect? Am desperate for some sleep...

higgle Tue 06-Oct-09 07:45:18

Well, nearly 3 months on I can say that all hot flushes and sleep problems are gone. I have slight breast tenderness and DH thinks I am a bit hyper - I do have that slightly supercharged pre- menstrual feeling most of the time. I've definately done the right thing for now and intend to make the best of it for a year or so and reconsider then.

deaddei Sat 10-Oct-09 16:50:47

Alypaly- 3 days for me, and the hot flushes were no more. Bliss. The quality of my life is so much better. And sleeping so much better. So zal, hang on in there.
I too have breast tenderness- quite painful at times.

LaContessa Wed 07-Sep-11 14:02:25

God it is so nice to hear some positives about HRT, I am about to start on Elleste Duet 1mg and needed to hear the positives

OneLieIn Mon 19-Sep-11 17:56:40

Just started elleste duet 1mg today and cannot wait for it to work....I am so fed up!!

smartyparts Tue 20-Sep-11 17:14:10

I have recently started elleste duet 1mg and it has been bloody marvellous.

Stopped all my symptoms in 48 hours. I love it.

Clure Sat 01-Oct-11 14:20:16

hi can I ask a question about hrt? I was advised to think about starting it, have been peri for last 3 years (DD age 6 think I was a bit peri before her) I am 43. I'm concerned about hrt as I also take meds for blood pressure and am concerned about the oestrogen in hrt (have never been able to take birth control pill due to the oestrogen and link to high blood pressure) also does hrt make you put on weight? Would be grateful for any responses, thanks

ameliagrey Sat 01-Oct-11 18:26:14

Clure- maybe start another thread as your questions will get lost here.

Clure Sat 01-Oct-11 18:38:50

will do, thanks ameliagrey

nightandday Fri 14-Oct-11 19:07:10

Hi I have just picked up my prescription of HRT and am praying with all my might that I get some relief from the instant Meerkat wake up response I have experienced 3 times nightly for the last 4 months. I was hanging on hoping I could manage to survive the menopause without chemical intervention but sadly as with childbirth I was forced to go begging and pleading for relief following a particularly traumatic day yesterday. In the foggy haze I seem to operate in I nearly caused a pile up on the motorway. Thankfully the other road users were alert but it really scared me. I was wondering though, how long do I take them for assuming its inevitable that I'll need to wean myself of Oestrogen at some stage?

ameliagrey Sat 15-Oct-11 08:44:38

night np magic answer to how long- depends on your age and symptoms.

HRT before age 50 is risk free re, cancer etc, and most drs say that up to 5 years use aged 50+ is relatively safe.

The only way to test it out is to stop and see if you still need it but you need to stop gradually.

nightandday Sun 16-Oct-11 16:35:16

Ameliagrey; Thanks.

jacksgrannie Mon 17-Oct-11 20:58:17

Night - you might be interested in my very positive experience of HRT. I started taking high dose oestrogen in my late forties owing to terrible menopausal symptoms (hot flushes, night sweats, panic attacks, insomnia and general misery). HRT worked a treat. After 5/6 years I tried to come off - symptoms back in a flash, even worse than before. Went on to lower dose HRT. Kept on that for another 5/6 years then GP advised coming off owing to length of time I had been on HRT, possible increased cancer risks etc.

After several abortive attempts, I have now completely stopped taking HRT but was only able to do so without symptoms returning by stopping very very gradually. First 2 months, took 6 tablets a week, next 2 months, 5 tablets a week and so on until for the last 3 months I was only taking 1 tablet a week.

HRT worked brilliantly for me and helped me through a really bad menopause.

nightandday Wed 19-Oct-11 22:25:42

Thanks jacksgrannie.
I,ve been on HRT (Elleste 1mg tabs) for 6 days now and have already had one good nights sleep and feel my sanity returning. Having just turned 51 I planned to take it until I retire at 55 then I will gradually wean myself of it.
I was taken aback by the duel payment for the prescriptions does anyone know why this is and is there a cheaper alternative?

Bellaciao Fri 28-Oct-11 20:07:34

Hi I've been on HRT for 5 years (patches and separate progesterone) and intend to stay on it for as long as possible - if you go on the Menopause Matters forum you will see threads on there about women still taking it in their 60's and 70's. As long as you know what the risks are and don't fall into serious risk categories yourself, some of the experts now think this is OK. Oestrogen has so many beneficial effects on bones, brain and generally lots of things eg preventing prolapses that I would rather have good quality of life than a really long miserable one!!

adriennelw Thu 03-Nov-11 20:05:59

I was on HRT for 3 years after having a hysterectomy. I reached the age of 56 and thought I should maybe come off it. My young Doctor (male) told me just to stop taking them and I would be fine. For 12 weeks that was the case and then boy did Menopause hit me with avengence. It is wrecking my life and my brain has ceased to function so much so that I have started taking HRT again today. I can't wait to feel normal again and get a nights sleep.

Bluebottle63 Wed 09-Nov-11 19:01:34

I can' tell you how relieved I am to find this forum. I always swore that when the time came, I WOULD NOT under any circumstances succumb to HRT. Pah! How wrong I was. I was in such a state last weekend that my mum was going to post me some of hers!! However I EVENTUALLY got an appt with my GP on Monday morning (who is in her 50s) and she was so kind, gave me half an hour which is amazing for a GP appt. Anyway she has prescribed Elleste Duet. It has only been 48 hours and although I am still getting my 'moments' as I call them, I feel loads better in myself as I know that the medication will help the symptoms.

I found this from a Google search, my sleep has not settled yet, but I suddenly felt less ground down this afternoon. I have nothing to feel ground down about, so that made it doubly annoying.

ameliagrey Wed 14-Dec-11 20:59:35

I don't understand your post Breev- what are you saying?

shazm0 Sun 13-May-12 08:43:58

nightanday - reading your description of "meerkat" style wake ups was such a relief. that's how i felt when i woke up at night. other people have talked about sweats but mine were like yours. almost frightening.

i have been on hrt for 3 days and had my first proer nights sleep for months last night. i googled to see if i was imagining it and i have to say it is a breath of fresh air to find women who sound like me

i am looking forwards to the "frisky" and "supercharged" feelings, they seem like a long time ago at the moment. i am sick of feeling tired and lethargic when i still consider myself an active woman.

shazm0 Sun 13-May-12 08:45:31

bluebottle - i also swore i would never take them. now i am just so relieved that i am not in any of the groups that can't take them.
my family are also relieved :-)

a1amber Sun 27-May-12 20:02:36

Hi all i have been taking elleste duel for 5 days and have not changed a thing yet my worst time is the night sweats. i was so hoping they would have started working by now i so need a good nights sleep. i have read all of the posts so i am hoping that they eventually start to work

a1amber Sun 27-May-12 20:06:01

Oh i too thought that i would never go on hrt but i can't stand these hot flushes anymore they are affecting every part of my life and my libido is totally disappeared

ameliagrey Mon 28-May-12 16:31:58

amber- they say give it 3 months. most people i know have had results quickly- a couple of weeks or so but 5 days is nothing. If it doesn't help in 2-3 months go back as there are lots of different types and maybe you need something stronger.

a1amber Mon 28-May-12 22:26:53

Thank you amelia but i really hope they work soon

happybear Mon 04-Jun-12 14:23:46

Hi just started kliofem day 26 now, developed hypersensitivity on face and neck and now on the shoulders, driving me potty. Face and neck settled down shoulder still untouchable cannot sleep, help! does it settle down or should i change the pills. also itching started before i did not have any.
struggling to know which way to go any advice appreciated.

madelinefearn Mon 11-Jun-12 19:31:24

I am on day 6 of taking elleste duet 1mg, my hot flashes seem to be getting worse and I feel totally drained, I felt tired before but this seems worse, is this normal?

MadMargaret Mon 02-Jul-12 10:46:09

madelinefearn - I have started elleste duet 2 mg as the 1mg did not suit me. It's possible that you might need the higher lever of oestrogen. Your symptoms should not be getting worse, the improvements are usually pretty quick. Good luck.

Bellaciao Mon 02-Jul-12 17:28:43

madelinefearn - as ameliagrey said on an earlier post - you would not necessarily expect to feel any difference after only 6 days and 3 months is the usual time to show a sustained measurable difference. It takes the body a while to adjust to increased oestrogen.

yumimumi444 Wed 26-Sep-12 14:56:09

well, I have been to the doctors this morning and I would like to say that some of the information given by some members is incorrect. Statisticly, there are a number of side effects with taking hrt, as with all drugs, there is a slight increased risk of breast cancer, but I urge all new women that are prescribed hrt to read the information leaflet that comes with the medication. It could be that you are one of the very few that get side effects, etc, but in my experience I have not had a bad experience of taking hrt, it has improved my life. It is advised however that women who have had their ovaries removed, should take hrt to reduce the risk of osteoporosis in later lives. Hope this helps and good luck smile

lainiej Wed 26-Sep-12 19:02:19

I've been taking Elleste Duet 1mg for almost a month - in the green tablet phase now. My sweating has stopped which I am eternally greatful for but I feel bloated all the time, I've put on weight and my boobs have become even bigger than they were. I also wake up about 4am every morning and toss and turn for about an hour. I'm a big lass anyway but this is really getting me down. I just checked my BP with our home tester and it was 184/99.

Juelz Wed 24-Oct-12 11:35:41

Hi, I'm new to this forum & hoping for some positive advice, as I'm not feeling great at the moment. I've just started 1mg Estelle Duet (am on day 4) - my hot flushes are just so bad, both during the day and at night - I'm waking up 3/4 times a night & feeling desperate to return to a normal life. My partner is a saint for putting up with me, as I toss & turn at night & our sex life has gone from being great to being non-existent! I know everyone is different, but can anyone comment, from experience, how long it will be before I feel better?
Thank you for listening :-)
xx

Williamandme Mon 05-Nov-12 11:26:50

Hi, Juelz, how are you getting on now? I am on exactly the same meds as you, 4 weeks in now, and I dont feel any better/different at all really. I have read somewhere it can take 6 weeks so I am keeping my fingers crossed.
x

weller7104 Thu 29-Nov-12 22:37:14

hi last October after months of waking up in a start, covered in sweat, 3 or 4 times a night, desperate urge to have a wee for a few minutes,then waking up feeling exhausted when my alarm went off, I decided something had to be done. Like others have mentioned here I had sworn that I would never take HRT, but I felt like a zombie, no energy, just not me. After just one week I felt like my old self full of energy, all day flushes gone and night sweats down to one a night. I'm 48 and intend to wean myself off HRT in next year or so but the few times I've cut down to one tablet every couple of days the symptoms return. I have put on a bit of weight but don't know if its the hrt or just middle age spread. Anyway if I had to choose between weight gain, and a slight increased risk of cancer I'd still choose hrt over the terrible, depressed way I felt.

carole1910 Sat 05-Jan-13 13:37:03

Have been on kliofem for 10 days now again (was previously on for 3 years and stopped suddenly last Oct to see if Menopause over - i am 54) but really bad hot flushes and night sweats came back within weeks. No effect at all at the moment positively - feel very angry and depressed and my calves ached like hell the first few nights, but that is thankfully gone. I am so anxious for this to work again and afraid it may not now as reading others stories it seems to have kicked in very quickly if it is going to. Will keep you informed for help of others like me. Just had conversation with a friend who is one of these saints that "put up with it without any chemicals" - she would never have done so if it was so bad. I have severe sweats - I mean pouring sweats which I have to towel off - about every hour or so day and night. These are followed by a few minutes of shivering and cold - it helps to towel the skin as wet skin will cool quicker I am told, and that has worked a bit for me. It wakes me up and I have then to drink a little and almost always have to have a pee. My husband has witnessed that I have hardly any sleep and about 4 am I just give up and read my book. I hope this is going to work but still feel a failure for not persevering as many other saintly women have! I do feel, however, that given this severity most women would not have seen it through. Everyone is different and it is not helpful for others to make us feel like failures!

MrsTigger71 Sat 05-Jan-13 13:43:48

carole1910, no one should make you feel like a failure. Your symptoms sound extreme and I don't think anyone would be able to deal with what you're going through without some assistance!

I personally think that you're very brave to take something to assist you in your menopause, it's not a game where the more you suffer the better you are. For goodness sake, don't be a martyr ~ if it helps take something! I'm 41 and had a total hysterectomy at 40, so I have to take HRT otherwise a whole host of other problems and issues would arise ... does that make me a failure too?! Of course not, be proud that you are taking something to alleviate your symptoms. Hope that they kick in soon and you feel better x

MissBoPeep Sat 05-Jan-13 14:01:26

Why are you so angry? Many women take HRT- it's nothing to be ashamed of or think you are somehow inferior. Maybe you need something stronger this time and not the same prep you had before. Have you been back to your dr to talk about this?

moonbeam1211 Mon 07-Jan-13 11:47:14

I has my op on the 27th Dec '12, took Climaval Oestradiol valerate 2mg two days later, how long will they take to work, feel miserable, very tired, constantly hot, and sick, just want to curl up and die, plz help x

MrsTigger71 Mon 07-Jan-13 20:09:34

Sending thanks in the hope that they will make you feel a little better. Sorry to hear that you're feeking ill, have you been checked out to make sure it isn't an infection that you've picked up? I had an infection after my hysterectomy. I was put on patches immediately after my op, in fact if I remember correctly I woke up from surgery wearing it, so I never had any menopausal symptoms. xx

moonbeam1211 Tue 08-Jan-13 13:12:37

I have been on 2 different antibiotics, one off which I came off as it made my stomach burn,, sometimes I feel ok sometimes then I lie in bed just wanting to cry, is it the normal xx

carole1910 Sun 13-Jan-13 08:53:47

3 weeks and it started to work at last! I feel much better and hardly any symptoms now. Could not go back to drs, as somebody asked, so soon, as GP said give it a month! Thank you for the kind words also. I feel so much better now and I just ignore the martyrs now. HRT is an amazing invention, and i will stay on it as long as I have to. I will probably give it a couple more years and then try a slow withdrawal to see if the menopause symptoms have finished, but if not i will return to it now knowing that in a couple of weeks it will kick in. i hope this helps others.

Liv1973 Sun 27-Jan-13 22:26:29

Hi, I have read all your lovely messages in the hope I would find 1 that matched my situation. I had prostap injections then full hysterectomy. I felt great, after suffering severe depression after loosing my son to leukaemia my hormones added to the depression so felt relieved to feel pain free and normal again. I have been taking hrt for 12 days and the black cloud has returned I have snapped at my family and feel a wreck teary etc all since taking hrt!! Any advice?! X

Irishgreyeyes Wed 30-Jan-13 23:21:04

Hello Ladies. What a wonderful, hopeful thread. I have been trying to find help for my severe and extreme symptoms. I have all listed and then some, very strange and unpleasant sensations (prickly skin, feeling like I want to climb out of my skin. I've been trying different hrt therapies for two months. I got some help from the Climara Pro Patch. After three weeks on the only strength and no significant relief so my doc put me on double dose five days ago. My mood is better, it was suicidal before, and that is a Godsend. But I'm so hot and chilled all the time. Inside its like a motor whirring and my sleep is hopeless. I seem to be one constant hot flash and chill. Does anyone know how long before a dose adjustment will kick in? I notice my prickles and burning skin are a lot less. Thanks so much! Hugs!

Fergusmum Wed 06-Feb-13 14:54:05

Hi ladies - how refreshing to read your comments - long story short version. Was on Prempak for 8 years - I am now 57. In Dec new gp decided I needed to come off - took me off and gave me Venlafaxine and imipramine to cope with the hot flushes - hot flushes and night sweats got really bad so decided to call him on monday to be told he had left the practice. He was there for 5 months. Regular gp also male took me off the 2 mentioned above and gave me Elleste Duet 2mg - however I am now having to cope with the withdrawel from the imipramine and the venlafaxine - explosions in my head - and of course the hrt has not kicked in yet. Last night had the worse night out - bad dreams when I did fall asleep - loads of night sweats - and tears. I am married to a saint but enough is enough - advice please - do I contact my gp or persevere. Moving house soon and just the thought of this makes me feel weepy. HELP

Missbopeep Thu 07-Feb-13 12:17:20

Oh you poor thing. Would you say that the main issue here is coming off the ADs? Did your GP give you guidance on what to do? Have you been told to come off them very, very, slowly? Maybe go back and ask. The other option to think about alongside the HRT is maybe something like acupuncture which helps some women.

Fergusmum Fri 08-Feb-13 22:21:58

Missbopeep - thank you for your encouraging words. well hurrah and hallelujah - phoned gp on wed pm as by this time was feeling suicidal. And yes he had not realised the AD's needed to be tapered off. Put me back onto one of them which I will reduce over time. Had an excellent night's sleep with only one mild hot flush. Just goes to show how potent these AD's are as just after 12 hours all symptoms had gone - and flushes are now very very minor so obviously new hrt is starting to work very quickly as discussed previously on this forum.

Missbopeep Fri 08-Feb-13 22:55:19

Glad you are feeling better but shock at GP! Did he miss that lecture at college? smile Lots of people who are not drs know that you don't just come off ADs overnight but do it very gradually over weeks....

Hope you continue to feel better.

Liv1973 Sat 09-Feb-13 20:45:44

Hi, just wanted to let you ladies who are struggling on hrt I have stopped taking it and now take sage tablets and calcium. Hurray I feel human again! Yes I still have bad days but now I know that my feelings are not a result of the hrt . I think if you have had an early hysterectomy as a result of years of pain and depression hot flushes etc are a breeze so I'm going solo no hrt for me xx

Wendywooh Fri 08-Mar-13 14:25:31

Blimey thought I was going mad, the itching drove me crazy especially at night,
Feeling hot constantly, "not sweats" just my body temperature going crazy,
Feeling angry, unapproachable , and damn miserable , loss of sex drive,
I'm hoping elleste duet will sort me out " reluctantly went to dr for hrt" ... On day one wish me luck.... Xx

Irishgreyeyes Tue 26-Mar-13 13:04:41

Hello all. My doctor has decided to put me over to Premarin as the others do not seem to work very well. I have been on them 9 days and am nearly back to myself. Now I have to think about weaning off the patches. I tried to take half a patch off but I had night sweats and prickly skin again and was boiling in the daytime. I put the patch back on. I feel a bit like a failure and a bit afraid that I will need so much estrogen.

moonbeam1211 Wed 17-Apr-13 22:16:06

Hi, been on Climaval 2mg since my opp, 27th Dec 2012 but for the last month I have suffered bad nausea and now having headaches and gnawing feeling in stomach , can anyone help could it be the hrt if so could it be worth changing to the patches, please help Xxx

brandyleigh35 Fri 07-Jun-13 18:41:00

I have had a truly positive experience with HRT was well. I started on the lowest dose of Activella about 2 years ago. I was having horrible hot flashes and night sweats, upwards of 20 a day and was truly miserable. I had been going to a more holistic practice and trying a lot of bioidentical hormone cremes but nothing seem to work. I finally couldn't take it anymore and went to see another doctor who put me on Activella. Activella contains bioidentical estrogen (estradiol) and synthetic progesterone. Within 3 days my hot flashes and night sweats were gone! I was in heaven! I had no other side effects, and it was amazing. About a year and a half later, I started experiencing increased flashes again and some achiness in my knee joints. My doctor switched me to the higher dose of Activella and again everything got better and went away. It has now been over two years since I've had a period and I'm considered to be in full menopause. Just recently I noticed some mild flashes again and my knee joints starting to hurt again. I also for about the last year have been unable to drink any kind of alcohol without it causing my estrogen levels to plummet, continuous hot flashes, and about an 8 weeks recovery period. My doctor has kept me on the Activella and added 0.5mg of estrace to my hormones today. For the first time in months I awoke to NO knee pain! Throughout all of this I have not had any ill side effects, only correction of the issues I was dealing with. Activella has been a God send to me I'm so glad to have found relief from all these horrible menopause symptoms. Something else interesting to note....I just recently had blood work done. It showed my estrogen to be at good levels and my progesterone to be quite low. My doctor decided we were going to treat my symptoms since they were all indicative of low estrogen, instead of going by the numbers on the lab results. She added the estrace to my Activella and today (only one day later) I feel much better.....Sometimes the lab numbers don't match up for every person. What is considered "normal" or "good" levels may not be what your body considers to be optimal. Pay attention to your symptoms and work with your doctor to treat them. Lab numbers are just a baseline they are not set in stone!

bella65 Sat 08-Jun-13 10:57:30

Are you in the US brandy as that drug- Activella- doesn't show as being available in UK under that name?

Bellaciao Wed 12-Jun-13 09:30:10

moonbeam It's a while since your post and you may be sorted now but definitely I would think about patches if you are having stomach problems on HRT pills that is not due to something else. Patches (or gel) are recommended in this case.

LondonLady1 Fri 14-Jun-13 08:00:09

Does anyone know how long you have to wait after an operation to start taking HRT? I am going out of my mind with flashes...day and night. Totally dripping, burning up then shivering. Just had an operation which means I have very limited mobility. Was told I couldn't start HRT before op because of Risk of DVT. Had 8 months on Dixarit (medically prescribed alternative) but it stopped working after 6 months. Just want to feel normal again.

bella65 Fri 14-Jun-13 08:09:18

I think this is only a question a dr could answer.
Have you got your supply of HRT or do you need to see your GP? It's unclear whether you have already been given your HRT or you are still on Dixarit.

The risk of clotting is most severe during the 1st year on HRT, and transdermal routes like patches or gel- Oestrogel- are not associated with blood clots- or only a very very low risk.

LondonLady1 Wed 26-Jun-13 09:26:36

Thanks Bella65. Have now just started on Tridestra ( 5 days ago) after getting ok from surgeon to go ahead. Fingers crossed they start working soon. I'm hopping around on one leg after surgery which is challenging enough without getting a major hot flush every 15 mins.

Anyone else have experience of Tridestra - it was difficult to find a chemist that had it.

bella65 Wed 26-Jun-13 09:56:31

To be really really frank, I wouldn't touch HRT in pill form. There is lots of research that shows unequivocally that there are fewer risks and side effects especially from DVT with topical and transdermal types of HRT. I suspect that some drs prescribe tablets on the basis of cost- but in your shoes I'd ask for patches or gel.

LondonLady1 Tue 02-Jul-13 10:45:19

Only 12 days in on the Tridestra and they are having some effect. Still have flushes but they are more toned down now. I hope they go completely. I have a 3 month course so will finish them and ask about patches.

Lissa43 Sun 14-Jul-13 14:33:45

I'm so glad I found this site, it's such a relief as I feel so loney with being told I'm going through the menopause I'm only 43 but been having symptons for about a year and a half in fact I thought I was going mad and I ask any of my friends if they have and symptons and only friends that are a lot older are and they are not as bad as mine. I never thought that I would go on hrt but I just suffering so much with hot flushes and no sleep my mum did have breast cancer so that worries me a bit but she was 58 when she menopause and she had been on hrt for for years. She will admit tho she wasn't suffering menopause symptons she went on it because her friends felt so good on it, so I guess really she should never of been given it in the first place. My doctor has given me ellste duet 1mg I've been taking it for about 15 days now I'm still having hot flushes but they are much fewer and I am sleeping better, I feel better to see some positive feedback on here so thank you everyone.

shirlsstaff Wed 07-Aug-13 08:41:41

I am just taking my tablet and that will be a week that I have been taking elleste duet still no change as yet so fingers crossed off back to gp after s month if no change

Gitto Thu 08-Aug-13 15:40:02

Hi just found this through a link very interesting, i have give in to HRT after 7 years of hell iam 51 so have been given Premique low dose 0.3mg/1.5mg Modified release tabelts one per day have been on one week but havent noticed any difference yet. Does anyone take this at this dose, looking at some of the messages probably need to give it a few more weeks. Any advice gratefull.

Missbopeep Thu 08-Aug-13 16:48:57

It's a very low dose but to be honest I wouldn't touch any preparation made with conjugated equine oestrogens . They have the highest risk factors and there are plenty of other bio identical types of HRT available on the NHS. Can you go back to your dr and ask?

Menopausesucks1 Sat 14-Sep-13 17:16:50

Hi great feedback ladies. I'm 57 and have been going through hot flashes and night sweats for over 2 yrs. now. We call them hot flashes here in Canada lol. Yesterday I took the plunge. I'm on Climara 25mcg patch and Provera 5mg oral. Lowest dose possible. That's what I wanted. Of course I expect it to work NOW!! But reading the comments it will take time. I'm thinking ill need a higher dose. Is anybody else on this combo? Doc wanted me on the patch with both hormones in it, but I wanted a low dose. I'd rather up the dose than overdose.
Thank you ladies.
Love from Canada.
Xoxoxoxo

Kazhadenoughmeno5 Mon 16-Sep-13 15:08:22

Can anyone help? Been put on Prozac for hot flushes and night sweats as bad. But made me sick and loose weight! Would like to go on HRT? Stopped Prozac but sweats coming back. Is HRT safe? My nurse doesn't agree with HRT. Help

missbopeep Mon 16-Sep-13 15:19:02

Your nurse is an idiot frankly. For a start, it's your body and your choice. It's disgusting that women are being put on ADs for menopause symptoms with drugs that have side effects as well!
Change your dr if need be, and read this website www.menopausematters.co.uk for the pros and cons of all kinds of treatments.

Kazhadenoughmeno5 Mon 16-Sep-13 16:36:12

Thanks missbopeep. New to this site and great to get such speedy feedback. Will check the site and let you know.

Kazhadenoughmeno5 Mon 16-Sep-13 16:47:14

Very informative website. The pros greatly outweigh the cons. Has now confirmed that hrt is right for me. Will book appoint with a different doctor. Thanks

Gerijrich Mon 16-Sep-13 18:31:37

Any thoughts I have been on HRT for 7 weeks and the hot flushes have gone and most days the anxiety is only in the background and then I get an odd couple of days when it rears its ugly head does this mean HRT is not doing it -
I was almost normal last week.

missbopeep Mon 16-Sep-13 19:27:37

It's too soon to say- you need to allow at least 3months then if it's not working think about a different type or dose.
Did you have anxiety pre-meno because not all anxiety can be attributed to the menopause?

Gerijrich Mon 16-Sep-13 20:21:11

no periods stopped and then the anxiety came.... always have been impatient nearly there.. Thank you

Gerijrich Mon 16-Sep-13 20:21:53

ps normally very happy with life think that's why its such a shock. xx

Gerijrich Tue 17-Sep-13 17:37:17

Just been prescribed a different Progesterone - micronized as I was great on just oestrogen, hoping this will make a difference otherwise I will need to go on tablets.

missbopeep Tue 17-Sep-13 17:52:49

Geri have you had a hysterectomy? What HRT are you using? no one would give you just oestrogen if you still have a uterus- you should have progestins as well and there are various types.

Gerijrich Tue 17-Sep-13 19:35:22

oops its to replace the one I was on as I seem to get anxious after a few days of taking it

lisylo Wed 18-Sep-13 00:22:37

I have just started taking Elleste Duet after having months of getting cross, upset and so many hot flushes sleepless nights - can anyone tell me there stories of this drug and how long it takes to work and how much weight am I going to gain - thank yousmile

missbopeep Wed 18-Sep-13 08:06:07

Why not have a chat with your doctor about this?
He/she should have told you that you need to allow 3 months before changing to a different type if this one doesn't suit you.
The scientific research shows that HRT does not cause weight gain. Some types of progestins may cause bloating like you get with normal PMT. Weight gain around menopause is usually down to a change in metabolism, not adjusting intake of food accordingly or increasing physical activity.

lisylo Wed 18-Sep-13 11:29:29

Hi Thank you for the information - I see a different doctor all the time very hard to actually see your own doctor - She said to me I should see a change in 7 days!!! I will see what happens after 3 month so thank you I will increase my exercise just in case.

evening88 Wed 18-Sep-13 22:17:40

I take Prempak C and have been on this for a year now. It has made me a less moody individual and a lot more confident! One month after starting it I met an old friend and we have been living together for a year now! This would not be the case if I hadn't taken it!
I had horrible excrutiating breast pain after about 4 months so I stopped taking it for 2 weeks. Started again and it has never happened since.
I am 48. I had no interest in sex or men and this changed my life. I also agree with the "Meerkat" wakefulness of earlier posts

Kazhadenoughmeno5 Thu 19-Sep-13 10:43:48

Can anyone tell me how long Prozac, prescribed for menopause, takes to get out of your system. Went cold turkey Friday and am now feeling wretched. Want to go on HRT but have heard can be 5-6 weeks before free from Prozac. Feel so down and lethargic. Please advise anyone who has similar

oscar2tia Sun 29-Sep-13 18:48:27

Hi, been reading all the threads on how ladies feel and I have just started taking Prempak-2. Have to say it is very comforting to know that in the very very early hours of the morning when you are wide awake, that you are not alone. I have felt pretty near suicidal, not so much with the hot sweats, but mentally in a very dark place. Sex is a distant memory. I used to run a lot, now barely have energy to walk a few miles. Prempak 2 does not seem to be prescribed that much from what I have read so far. Are you still in a good place?

missbopeep Sun 29-Sep-13 22:03:33

Sorry to be more doom and gloom but Prempak and other conjugated oestrogens are sometimes thought to be a little out dated now and bio identical products are more in favour. Have you thought about talking to your dr about this? It may even come down to a cost issue.

mariachumasbaker Mon 30-Sep-13 11:41:04

Hi everyone. Just wanted to share this. Started taking Elleste Duet 2mg about 5 weeks go. Was on it for about 2 weeks. Only good thing was hot flushes went almost immediately. Went away pn holiday. Started to feel very low. Had a day when I was so low and wondered why. Wasn't sure whether I would have a bleed. Had one full night's sleep which was great but then it all started to go bad. Had another very low day and a slight period pain. Thought - Oh well, will have a period. It didn't come until day 28 of first pack. Am still bleeding after 4 days and only took 3 pills from my 2nd month pack - reason - I have never experienced PMT like this. Awful and wanted to cry all the time. Got back from holiday yesterday and still feel awful and low. I should be feeling better and I cannot continue with this feeling. I would rather have hot flushes. I just need at least 2 to 3 good nights sleep at least. Feeling wretched but not going back on this and 1 month was too much for me the way it made me feel. Anyone else experienced this please? sad

Marnie176 Mon 30-Sep-13 13:27:26

Hi, I have a background in medicine and can tell you that Prozac naturally comes out of your system very slowly, takes about five weeks unlike most other AD's which have to be reduced very slowly so this shouldn't be the cause of your problems.

missbopeep Mon 30-Sep-13 14:05:33

maria it's important that you understand what's in the pills and why they affect you like this. presume your dr explained it all?
Yes you will bleed every month.
The pills at the start of the pack are oestrogen. The others towards the end are a progesterone. Withdrawal of this causes the bleed.
It might be a good idea to keep going because you are now onto the oestrogen pills again. These should not cause PMT. Your PMT in the 2nd month might not be so bad. If it is, go back to dr and ask for a different type of pill or patch with a different progesterone- don't give up so soon as something out there will help you.

missbopeep Mon 30-Sep-13 14:07:15

p.s- bit confused- did you just take 14 days of pills in total- you said you took it for 2 weeks? If so, you should not have had a bleed and it could be your own cycle breaking through....

mariachumasbaker Mon 30-Sep-13 14:31:12

Thanks missbopeep, in total I took it for one whole 28 days and then took 3 of the oestrogen from the next pack. My last pill was taken 3 days ago as did not want to continue. Never experienced a low feeling like that. I had such awful thoughts. My GP said nothing when she prescribed them. She just looked through her book and decided on these. She did not go through my medic history although she knew I had been on prozac for a while but decided to stop these. My last real period was about a year ago. I am 53. I just want to feel good ago and have some good nights sleep. Thank you x

missbopeep Mon 30-Sep-13 15:17:41

That's a pretty poor show from your dr isn't it?
Norethisterone is known to cause bad PMT is some women. There are other types- have a look at the green menu on the menopause matters website which gives info on different types available.
www.menopausematters.co.uk

Gerijrich Mon 30-Sep-13 22:16:36

This makes really interesting reading as we are all having the same type of symptoms. Comforting in a way but wont it be good when we all feel good again

Suzielou1 Mon 07-Oct-13 13:27:39

Has anyone found that after starting hrt they have really bad 'period pains' all the time?

Jinnty Tue 15-Oct-13 19:07:41

Hello everyone, thank goodness for this forum. I have a question, I am 50 years old, going through menopause and finally relented and started on hrt. I haven't had a hysterectomy or any surgery. I was prescribed Tibolone (Livial ) I'm only on day 6 and although I felt a difference the first few days ( sleeping better ) I'm now back to disrupted sleeping and daily headaches ( is this normal )? Has anyone found symptoms the first weeks yo yo back and forth until it settles? I don't know if this is a combined hrt ..

Jinnty

Missbopeep Tue 15-Oct-13 19:47:36

Jinnty Tibolone is a synthetic type of HRT which combines oestrogen, progestogens and androgens. It's not usually 'first choice' for HRT but used more for women who have bleeding problems ( progestogens added you won't bleed.) It's also good for bone density and libido.
A good friend of mine takes it for osteoporosis and switched to it ( under a consultant gynae) after her other type of HRT was making her fibroid grow.
Tibolone is best given to women who are 1 year post bleeding as it can sometimes cause irregular bleeds at first. (I am quoting some things here from a book on meno written by a consultant gynae.)

The usual advice is to give any HRT 3 months but I wonder why you were given this sort in the first place?

Jinnty Tue 15-Oct-13 20:21:48

Hi Missbopeek, ty for replying. I'm not sure why my GP prescribed this one, I have had the usual common problems, hot flashes, night flashes, not sleeping, mood swings etc. My GP made two suggestions, she mentioned an anti depressant which she claimed was showing good results for hot flashes and night sweats, but I didn't want to try these for fear of addiction. She prescribed Tibolone saying she felt these showed best results? Last year I tried a bio natural progest cream that worked for a few months then stopped working. I'm about 12m period free.

MissMartian Tue 15-Oct-13 20:45:55

I just started HRT today, femoston 2/10. I didn't know what was wrong with me I was so depressed for the whole of the last period. I'm 46 and have had symptoms since I was 41, I actually thought I was probably through the worst of it. A few years ago I had dreadfully heavy periods. Now they are more manageable but every 21 days! My life is quite stressful and to top it I was temping. Temping is probably the very worst thing to be doing, because the hot flushes, brain fog and anxiety make it difficult to learn a new job. Really I was learning a new job every week I worked!!! Last June and July I felt really on top of the world, periods getting lighter, I thought, hey I must be over the worst! But then I started to get nervous and flushie, then lack of sleep, no energy. So I wasn't sure how much was lifestyle stress and how much was the menopause. But I took a few weeks off, couldn't work and things have just been getting worse. It's really sad, at this stage when I am reasonably young, so fit I have a 6 pack, only my 13 year old daughter still at home. Instead of enjoying anything, I'm so sick. Anxiety, hot flushes, hardly able to string a sentence together, sooooo tired and miserable. Instead of feeling, bright, intelligent and a little bit funny, I feel dead. Even yesterday when I somehow gathered myself together and crawled to the doc's I'd a hot flush that lasted the whole appointment, at least she could see it first hand!! Now it's only 8 o'clock in the evening and I've been dying to go to bed since 4pm. How can I have a career and a life with this? I heard it said that menopause is easier with a husband. Well I wouldn't fancy my chances meeting a nice man to marry right now. It's strange how many people have been telling me I'm too young to be going through it, yet lots of ladies here are fairly young, around 41-43, same as when I started. If this HRT doesn't work, could someone just shoot me.

Missbopeep Tue 15-Oct-13 22:00:14

Jinnty that's not really true saying it has the best results. I don't know what she means by that.

It's one that can be given to women with low libido as it has added androgens, but it's also one that as a side effect can give you more hot flushes. As I said, my friend was swapped to it because normal HRT was making her fibroid grow due to the oestrogen in it.

Tibolone is not 'normal' HRT- it's for women who can't use other sorts or need a type with is better for osteoporosis. Try googling and you should find out more about it.

Missbopeep Tue 15-Oct-13 22:03:42
Jinnty Tue 15-Oct-13 22:35:36

Hi and thank you for the link, I've given the taking of HRT some deep thought and I'm still not 100% comfy with it. I did read a few things about it and all I am really looking for is something to stop the hot flashes and night flashes and allow me to sleep without wakening up 8-9 times an night. I don't really think I should be on this one to be honest and I've not had any blood tests or my BP checked. Just told her my symptoms, what its costing and causing me and nothing related to sexual desires or lack thereof..I'm more confused and puzzled. I did feel they should have done some tests or something before I was given there, also experienced some dizzy spells this evenings, these and the headaches are new to me too

and thank you for your views, its good to * talk to others going through this and * get you *

Missbopeep Tue 15-Oct-13 23:01:09

Your GP is not doing anything wrong by not doing blood tests- they aren't the norm for anyone in peri- because your hormones will be fluctuating hour by hour and day by day- that's what causes the symptoms.
But you should feel positive about HRT because if you aren't then that in itself may cause anxiety and make your symptoms worse. Research shows that there is little else that helps with hot flushes as well as HRT but if you really aren't happy on it then maybe you could try things like sage tincture, black cohosh or yoga and acupuncture- but these obviously take time and money to try out.

MissMartian Wed 16-Oct-13 00:08:27

What about FSH levels, surely they indicate ovarian failure and progression towards menopause? I'd blood tests today, for fsh, thyroid, ferratin lots of boxes were ticked. There has to be some way of seeing how near a person is to menopause. They can predict with body changes in puberty, to within a few months when a girl will have the menarche, many different types of girls, just with physical cues, why is menopause such a mystery?

Is it Doctors just haven't focused on it enough yet, for generations women have been embarrassed/reluctant to go into detail about this time. Women are suffering unnecessarily I believe. Men just would not put up with losing so many years of life, at an important age.

Missbopeep Wed 16-Oct-13 08:38:53

MM- yes those tests are important for some women- if you are under 45 and think you are peri meno then it's important to a) rule out other causes and b) establish the facts so you can be given HRT to avoid osteoporosis.

But if you are in the majority of women who will have the menopause between 45-55, then the NHS simply doesn't have the cash to do routine blood tests- it's not an illness as such.

The point you're missing is that one test alone is not enough because hormones can change day to day- so two tests in a month are needed and maybe the same again a month later.

The point of the tests is not so much to rule in the menopause as to rule out other conditions that have similar symptoms such as thyroid problems.

MissMartian Wed 16-Oct-13 10:33:46

Yes, menopause is "not an illness". But the degree to which it affects women goes right across the spectrum and it can cause or accelerate a host of other serious illnesses. So it should be treated seriously when a women is suffering or at risk of osteoporosis, depression and a host of other conditions.

I hear some women speaking about their menopause, Sailing through it appears to be the favourite mode of transport. However, I remember those very women several years ago, and they stayed in a lot more, went about with very red faces, which now are lined and with aged skin, some divorced, (surprise surprise). I know myself the Truth is they did not 'sail' through it. Possibly Alzheimers is setting in and they forget what they went through, or they may wish to downplay it. This is part of the problem, women trying to be superwomen, women pretending it didn't affect them, the issue not receiving enough attention in the medical world. Maybe women are embarrassed about it, and not want to advertise the fact they are getting older, I don't really know. But I do know I was not well enough informed before I was 40 and women should be extremely well educated about this inevitable part of being female. If you speak about menopause to women aged 38 even, they think they have until their 50s before they worry about it. Just like I did. I was talking to my sis in law, who is eight years younger than me and her friend, around the same, they knew NOTHING about vaginal atrophy, irregular periods, palpitations. My friend, who is 43 (and peri) and I looked at each other, we were only 2 years older than these women when our symptoms started. Why are women kept in the dark? I would not have put things off til my 40s had I known what a disastrous decade was facing me.

It is shocking how little information/interest some doctors have,. As I said, when I was attending specialists in hospital they said I was too young to have menopausal symptoms at aged 41-43!!! Such rubbish. It should be taken very seriously when menopause affects a woman's quality of life. For NHS to even think of 'saving money' with FSH testing is surely a false economy when you see the other illnesses brought on by not treating menopause properly. And it seriously NEEDS to be treated in lots and lots of cases, my own included.

Women with severe symptoms who wish to be tested, should have some way to show where along the meno path they are. There is not enough research done if we do not in 2013 know how to test this. It's necessary to know where you are along the journey - within a year or so. Then you can have an idea of whether you can face without HRT, another 6-12 months say, or a another 10 years, of bad symptoms. Even though FSH levels fluctuate, once they reach a certain level, you won't ovulate any more, and you are reaching the very end of menstruation - much nearer the end. There are online tests available for less than 10 euros, which can give you some indication. Here in Ireland they do test for FSH on Medical Card / NHS system, you can ask, within reason, for testing quite a few times, along with thyroid and other blood tests.

Missbopeep Wed 16-Oct-13 11:06:14

MM
I agree with 90% of what you say but TBH it's down to women to educate themselves- the info is out there on the web, there are books about meno and there are meno clinics and gynaes who specialise in meno.

I don't agree with your push for blood tests because my own experience and that of friends shows it's not clear cut.

I had blood tests at one point and was told I was post-meno ( at age 52 ish) Ha! I went on to have regular periods for almost 2 more years. Similarly, my close friend had blood tests that showed she was nowhere near meno ( again aged about 53) and yet a few months later she had her last period.

Online tests are a complete waste of money- they test you on a certain day. My dr told me you need 2 tests- one on day 3 and another half way through your cycle. That gives you 1 reading. This might need to be repeated over many months and each result- considering meno wind-down can last 10 years- could be different.

You can't predict how long your symptoms will last by taking blood. Some women have a lot of symptoms due to oestrogen deficiency, others have none. Some women get through this is a couple of years, others still have symptoms after 20-30 years. So you cannot predict if you can put up with symptoms or take HRT because you would only know with hindsight how long your symptoms lasted.

MissMartian Wed 16-Oct-13 20:05:21

That's the exact frustration about it. A difficult journey of uncertain length is really a heavy sentence.
I am lucky with my GP but I was shocked at how little help and information was to be had from the 'experts' in the hospital. One guy was about 27, and insisted I wasn't near the menopause, even though my body had different ideas.
Maybe it's something in the water here, but 3 of my friends have been without periods for over a year, they are 47/48, also two Polish ladies I know say they are taking isoflavins and have not had periods for years, they are only 49/50. It is shocking. How can you educate yourself when you could easily be peri at 40, but you didn't know you'd have to think about menopause til you were 50+. Finding information out on the internet means trawling through pages for hours.
Overall it's a raw deal for women when you have these symptoms, to say nothing of calcium going from your bones etc.

Missbopeep Wed 16-Oct-13 21:57:47

I agree it's frustrating but none of us has a crystal ball!

The normal age of meno is between 45- 56. So your friends who are menopausal at 48-49 are not unusual by any means. I think something like 50% of women are post meno at that age, 80+% are post meno by aged 54 and then the rest are by the time they are 55-56.

There is a lot of info available- books by specialist drs- mine has written a very good book on meno- and the website www.menopausematters.co.uk and the Daisy network for prem menopause.

oscar2tia Tue 29-Oct-13 20:21:47

Is it me , or has anyone else felt so depressed? I'm still trying out the prempak but going back to gp next week. Life just doesn't seem worth living. The one thing I thought was solid (my marriage), now seems uncertain. Anxiety levels are through the roof. Can anyone offer any advice or suggestions. My problems seem to be more psychological than physical.

Hopeful99 Wed 30-Oct-13 21:44:09

I wondered if anyone has any experience of femostron ? I was taking elsette duet 1 mg but I bled nearly all the time, quite heavy too! My GP prescribed trimester but I couldn't get them, the pharmacy tried to order but there's a manufacture problem so he gave me femostron. I've been taking them for 2 weeks now and to be honest I feel awful! I've not had bleeding yet but am terribly anxious ( same as before, which is why I went on HRT) I'm very tired, exhausted actually , I feel emotional, like I can't cope and I've had a funny upset stomach and funny head. Maybe Hrt just doesn't suit me or I need to give it longer? My GP says if this type doesn't work he will maybe treat my anxiety and I won't take Hrt . I have suffered for a few years now with very heavy painful periods and had a TCRE to try and sort it out, eventually after about 11 months my periods stopped but I still had the pain each month. I am fed up of feeling Off colour all the time and don't really know what to do next. I was hoping the HRT would help but it now seems as though I'm going to have periods again so my operation was a waste of time! Any advice ladies please??

jolllyrebel Fri 01-Nov-13 11:28:28

Oscar2tia - please go and see your GP and demand that he/she takes you seriously. I really feel for you. I was feeling pretty rubbish - that slow deterioration over the past 8 years that you put down to feeling older and a bit redundant and past it (I'm 52!) but fortunately we have a locum in our surgery. Get your doctor to do full bloods on you and especially thyroid function. Mine questioned why, but did it anyway to humour me - and the results came back saying that as well as being fully menopausal, my thyroid was packing up on me. Several friends' 'depressions' turned out to be underactive thyroid and they are all so much better now it is being treated. Sounds like it may be the key to your own probs too. In the past 4 months I have been diagnosed coeliac, menopausal and hypoactive thyroid - no wonder I felt rather crap. It seems to me that a lot of what you're feeling is very similar - it's only by asking / demanding ever-so-nicely, that the medics will actually take you seriously. Please do go and find help - I really feel for you - and don't take 'no' for an answer!!! You go, girl!!! Oh, and my lovely locum has prescribed Evorel Sequi patches, started today. Just having her sympathy and a diagnosis of the hypothyroidism - someone listening to me - has made me feel better. Get on that phone to the surgery! Best of luck

speromum Sat 02-Nov-13 21:05:47

Hiya, feeling much better after reading this thread!
Can now see that other symptoms I have been having , like the night awakening, painful knees( thought it was my way of predicting rain on its way!) are to do with the menopause.
My GP has put me on elleste solo, ( have a coil fitted) and have been on it for a week now, good things like night awakening is less ( or just so shattered that I'm sleeping through anyway) but I'm having a heavier period, which considering I hadn't had one for a couple of months prior to this is a surprise, is this normal? can I expect it to continue for a while? Can I expect my libido to make a reappearance soon?

medezigns Thu 07-Nov-13 13:28:55

I'm 46 and going through menopause; well at least I have many symptoms. Anyway, I am experiencing depression, fatigue, hard time losing weight etc.... How many of you have used HRT for these symptoms? I'm dying here!!

missbopeep Thu 07-Nov-13 20:28:00

Med- you might get more posts if you start a new thread because your post might get lost in this one.

Phoebegirl81 Sun 10-Nov-13 22:24:37

I have been menopausal for 4 years but in the last few months have developed awful night sweats and mood swings. Ok one day and tearful the next. Reluctantly started Elleste duet 1 mg a month ago. Felt so much better very quickly. Then started the green tablets. By the end of these felt very pre menstrual but have not had a bleed. My gp has now given me Elleste conti so i dont have a bleed. But am getting headaches on these and mood is low,feeling anxious. Not sure what to take now!

Hopeful99 Fri 15-Nov-13 21:58:41

Anyone taking femostron 2/10 please respond I need advice!?? I've been taking them for just 5 weeks which I know isn't long but I feel like I just can't cope! I'm fine on the red ones at the beginning of the pack but almost immediately I start on the creamy coloured ones I start with the most awful anxiety imaginable. Is this normal? I've nearly had to come home from work twice this week and my colleagues have been really worried about me saying I look like I'm on the edge! That's exactly how I have felt. I've been crying at nothing and really do feel like life's not worth living. I've got nothing to worry about, lovely family, good friends, nice lifestyle etc and this anxiety is so out of character I just don't know what to do. I'm waking up with palpitations, and it feels like I've got a lump in my chest and throat and I can't breathe. It feels like I've got really bad asthma. I'm snappy and tearful. I wake in the night with a sense of dread and with my heart pounding. I'm going to the drs on wed but if anyone has any advice please please I would appreciate it?
Thanks,

Missbopeep Fri 15-Nov-13 22:43:06

If you are taking any drug which doesn't agree with you, go back to the dr!

Was it explained to you what is in the pack? Oestrogen then a progestin which will bring on a period. It's the progestins that often cause side effects- like bad PMT. This is VERY common and something that your dr ought to know about. Go and have a chat and maybe they will prescribe another brand of HRT.

Hopeful99 Wed 20-Nov-13 14:12:24

Thanks yes I read the info but didn't expect to feel so bad. Been back to drs and he thinks that maybe the anxiety isn't menopausal so he's treating it separately and he's given me Citolapram. I really hope these work. I've read that they can take up to 2weeks to kick in so fingers crossed!

xxPinkyFlynnxx Thu 16-Jan-14 12:59:16

Hi Im 44 yrs old today started oin PremPak-C after a solid year of flushes that have become a nightmare, no sleep and I am hell to live with, no social life as Im just too tired after working all day. I just wanted the world to swallow me up. Hopefully these tablets will give me a bit of my life back, cant come soon enough for me. Any words of wisdom will help . Any other side effects I should expect? thanks for reading. x Pinky x

Hotpink2 Sun 16-Feb-14 20:27:20

I am new to this form, thanks to everyone who has posted on here. My life has been miserable over the last 2 years, I was diagnosed with Crohn's in 2004 after given birth to my second child. Crohn's was getting really bad and I was in a lot of pain on different medication, steriods and infusions but it came to the point I had to have surgery. Had my surgery last October a few complication but hey you have to get on with it, I love life to much to sit and whine about my aches and pains but Wow the surgery along with an autoimmune disease has put me into early menopause I'm 43 and was not ready for this. I'v been through quite a bit medically in the last ten years but nothing like this. My superwoman acts smile and get on with it dosent work. The hot flushes(hot showers more like) lack of sleep and feeling old and depressed its suicidal. I'm at a very low point in my life right now started kliogest 2mg on Friday it's 3 days now and no improvement, I need sleep, taking sleeping pills stilnoc 10mg and still night sweats wake me up. Help.

FuckyNell Sun 16-Feb-14 22:52:29

pinky I had no problems on prempak! apart from sore boobs etc. it made a huge difference to my life. I had no problems at all.

hotpink I would give it a while more. It can take time to settle. The recommended time is 3 months. However if you feel after a month nothing has improved ask for a different hrt. There is a huge choice and there isn't a one size fits all fix smile

Also check www.menopausematters.co.uk out. It's hugely beneficial.

Weegiemum Sun 16-Feb-14 23:00:16

I tried prempak when I went into a prem menopause at 38. It ended up exacerbating an existing kidney condition made worse in pregnancy, so was stopped after a month.

My bone density is good (was a runner when younger and, helpfully being overweight increases bone density!!) I eat a low-fat high calcium diet (can't take calcium supplements due to the kidney stones but dietary calcium seems ok - though I'm very fed up of yoghurt and cottage cheese!!!). High dose vitD and a B-vit complex have helped too.

I'm now 43, menopause seems pretty much over from my hormone tests.

Hotpink2 Tue 18-Feb-14 20:24:12

Thanks FuckyNell for your support it's very hard getting my head around the fact that I have started the menopause let alone dealing with these dreadful hot sweats. When I talk to my friends about the hot flushes it's" well we all get a hot flush every now and again" eh no not like this. I'v dealt with a lot the last while and I'm not one to moan but I just can't deal with this my whole day and night is revolving around the sweat, I bring to bed 2 ice packs I put one at the back of my neck and one on my chest after about an hour they end up like hot water bottles. Work is a night mare.

FuckyNell Tue 18-Feb-14 22:15:54

Hi hotpink has there been any improvement, even slightly?

If not go back to your gp next week maybe, there's no reason for you to be suffering so.

I'll go and have a looky at kliogest to see what's what smile

Cetti Thu 13-Mar-14 14:14:28

It has been such a relief to read all the comments about just how bad the menopause can be as I have reached a state of desperation and have just started HRT. I'm 49.
I'm a teacher and trying to control teens/ get them through exams on no sleep and hot flushes has been a nightmare. Almost as bad has been the lack of sympathy or understanding with mutterings about Occupational Health being called in just in case I faced loss of earnings (obviously I'm just a wingey time waster). I too am like a meerkat, binging awake several times per night and waking up soaking wet. Fortunately I'm separated, I can't imagine how appalling life would be with my less than ideal husband. As it is my teenagers have had to get used to mum abandoning them before bedtime and forgetting to fill in consent forms. Yesterday I had a near miss with a white van on the way to work, fortunately they weren't in the car.
Today I'm not at work because I can barely move.
I thought long and hard about HRT because I don't do pills lightly. I trained to do NFP so I had no need for oral contaceptives. I also have a family history of nasties. Thus I've worked my way through sage drops, red clover, ADs and clonidine. Nothing works, as for sleeping tablets - ha!ha!
So thank you anyone who has posted here, I feel normal!

jennymarie30 Fri 14-Mar-14 17:00:10

So pleased I found this site - I am just back from a gynae appointment following my hysterectomy and have been put on HRT Climaval but nervous of actually taking it! The past few months have been absolute hell and I am desperate for relief from the worst symptoms - panic attacks, anxiety, palpitations and hot flushes. I have felt like I am going mad, literally losing my mind.
I actually had my ovaries removed in 2005 as a preventative move since my mother had died at 52 from cancer and my maternal grandmother also. I was put on HRT after surgery and felt great. Then I was treated for thyroid cancer in 2007 and had a total thyroidectomy. I was continued on Kliovance combined HRT until 2011 when it was stopped (I was then 48)
The past couple of years have been awful, particularly with anxiety and palpitations and really impacted on my life - work in particular.

Cetti - I can completely understand how you feel - I am a secondary (high) school teacher and have been signed off for weeks after having a terrible panic attack in class. I was put through Occupational Health and am now due back work on Monday for a phased return. The male assessor I saw says I am fit for work and that I won't know if I can cope until I try - I guess he is right but that can't help how feel about it - petrified of going back into the class with all that challenge and responsibility.
Wow - just realised I am having a rant!!
I will take the pill and hope it can make a difference in time and try not to worry about the potential health risks. I just know I can't carry on like this.
This site has given me hope!

Nancy66 Sun 16-Mar-14 12:00:05

I am about 20 days in to my first cycle of HRT now and it's making no difference whatsoever. I do think that by now I should have felt at least some improvement in how I feel. So am going to ask Dr to tweak protocol.

jaffacakesallround Sun 16-Mar-14 15:12:30

Nancy- the 'rule' is to give it 3 months. 20 days is really not long enough to give any product a fair trial.

Nancy66 Sun 16-Mar-14 15:35:20

I'm going to have to disagree with that 'rule' I think 3 weeks is enough time to have felt some benefit!

Fran2405 Tue 25-Mar-14 14:13:39

I started taking elleste duet 14 days ago and I'm not getting as many hot flushes, I also take sage tablets 400mg for sweats and they have almost stopped, I find vitamin E and omega 3 have also helped.. I'm feeling more myself now than I have done for weeks

gillian9879 Wed 09-Apr-14 04:41:22

I've been on bio identical for almost a month, still getting hot flashes. They have decrease a bit, the intensity is still the same though. Do I need to give it more time ?

Joloucart Sun 13-Apr-14 08:22:16

Hi. I am new to the forum. Wanted to share a couple of things. Been peri for ages but about 2 months ago experienced first night sweats. They were short lived! Had joint pain for ages.feel like I have pmt most of the time, skin dry etc etc. so went to my gp and after a couple of appointments he asked what I wanted to do..I wanted to try a patch so for one month or max of three he has put me on evorel 25 very low dose of oestrogen only to see what happens....he felt I needed a small oestrogen boost and I guess for a month oestrogen on its own wont harm. I will report back to him and tell home how it affects my cycle, mood etc. however I have also been told that I am pretty much anaemic and have been for a while..and this doesn't help symptoms at all, in fact it can mimic some of the symptoms..so I am dosing up one iron. Only day three of the patch so not sure anything has happened yet!! I will report back in case that helps anyone!

lightenupjacq Mon 14-Apr-14 15:57:01

wow, reading all of this is a double edged sword. On the one hand Im relieved, like most of us, to know im not alone in this menopausal experience. On the other - well considering the severity of our symptoms its just dreadful that its all so hush hush that few of us knew what it would be like. Its hard to believe that mature women all through history have been dealing with this so quietly... what an indictment of society that it cant be discussed, and of course with youth being all that matters in the media then women are trying harder than ever i suppose to hide it. But gee, I can cope with all these hot flushes - have had them every 20 minutes of so for 4 years, but the anxiety and depression and loss of libido are life changing. Not sure Ive felt anything for ages now - quite dead inside - but how strong and nurturing and responsible we are to just carry on looking after those we love because thats just what women do. The hardest thing is trying so had to look and behave normally when I feel as though Im hardly alive most of the time. No symptoms before menpoause, then bang, its like a big part of who you are is stolen. And reading all of this makes me nervous that so many people haven't really had a great improvement. I start this week. however I hope these 2 things might be helpful - I started taking sage last month and its really helped the flushes - worth a try. And last week I started using Garcinia Carbogia (the natural weight loss supplement recommended by Dr Oz) and for the first time since menopause began I havent felt depressed or anxious! I just now went back to a website discussing its health benefits and found that it actually lists "boosting serotonin levels", so I'd HIGHLY recommend that too for the depression. No libido but at least I feel balanced and calm. Best wishes everyone.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now