Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

Itchy skin neck rash and menopause

(14 Posts)
20090310 Mon 09-Mar-09 09:15:16

I am in pain again!

I am now 46, and believe I am peri-menopausal/menopausal and I have spent my life ridding my body of excema. Now my neck feels like it is going to fall off, thinning skin, hypersensitive, air bothers me, eye lids flake skin. I use unbelievable amounts of moisturizers, lather on cream to help, but I can peel off skin almost daily. It stings like a bug is biting and I know enough to wish it away.

I stopped using the cortisone creams weeks ago, that would usually take care of rare flare ups, as I feel it thins my skin, but it has been weeks of waiting to heal.

I am being thrown back into memories of being in the hospital as a kid, because my excema was so bad I would have to bathe to soak my socks off after school, or sleeves stuck to my arms. I hate this feeling. I know my body is changing, I have dealt with many allergies for years, now 10 years with no wheat, fish or pork and also allergic to latex to name a few, and . . . Bag Balm saved my hands years ago, after 30 years of bad rough hands and I am down to one finger that will not heal, but that is great.

I have had beautiful skin, and no problems until the past 3 months. Yes we have had a bad winter . . . but no worse than the past.

It really frustrates me as I was almost free from skin problems, which took many years, and I am being thrown back to the pain of my youth.

I am physically active weekly but the darn air, and my own sweat is irritating the hell out of me. I can feel my own body weight, which is normal for my height, pulling my neck down, it's so sensitive, thinning skin and absolutely irritating.

Any suggestions or tips or others going through this?

I also can not sleep much due to how uncomfortable it is becoming. Just my husbands breath feels like a wind storm. I am going back to my DR soon, but want to avoid cortisone.

How uncomfortable for you and sorry to hear you are going through this.
I can't give you answers to everything, but I am troubled by itchy flaky eye-lids, particularly when it's cold/windy. I've found "simple eye ointment" (from the Pharmacy in Boots) has really helped. I also use eyedrops as I think my eyes themselves were very dry. Also perhaps try mild allergy tablets for a week or two incase some of the irritation is caused by an allergy?

Tiggiwinkle Mon 09-Mar-09 10:30:00

I am also peri-menopausal and my skin, which has always been very dry, is much worse.

I get eczema around my eyes too. I do sometimes have to resort to mild steroid ointment which the GP gave me for the purpose because otherwise the irritation is unbearable and I just look a state.

I am currently using eucerin 5% facial moisturiser followed by epaderm ointment which seems to be keeping the dryness manageable. If I use less heavy duty creams, I end up having to apply moisturiser umpteen times a day.

tiggiwinkle, I got steroid ointment for my eyes too but really have found that the simple eye ointment helps prevent the dryness.

Tiggiwinkle Mon 09-Mar-09 10:57:07

lilolil-is it the Simple as in the brand name or is it one that you ask for in the pharmacy (iyswim)?

you ask for "simple eye ointment" at the pharmacy, not Simple as in brand name.

Tiggiwinkle Mon 09-Mar-09 11:00:58

Thank you smile

I shall definitely try that, because I hate using the steroid stuff.

Will warn you, it's about £6 for a tiny tube, but a little goes a long way and it lasts for ages. I agree re steroid stuff, got talking to a pharmacist in Boots about my worries about using the steroid cream too oftent, he recommended it and it worked for me - hope it does for you too.

if you do get it, please let me know how you get on because I don't want to carry on recommending it to people if it doesn't work for them. I put it on at night before bed and mornings before my shower (as I think steam aggravates mine) and put on more if I am out in the wind/cold.

Tiggiwinkle Mon 09-Mar-09 11:24:18

I will let you know. I have tried so much stuff over the years, but the problem is definitely getting worse, along with the general drying of my skin as the menopause approaches.

20090310 Mon 09-Mar-09 15:56:00

Thanks for the tips!

girlywhirly Thu 12-Mar-09 17:19:57

Have you tried treating your skin from the inside, namely taking essential fatty acids supplements? Fish oils, evening primrose? I say this because when I was researching treatments fo my son's eczema one of the treatments available on prescription was based on fatty acids.

I can recommend Aveeno cream which is oatmeal based as a body cream, and lying in an oatmeal bath is very soothing, I know it sounds awful, but put some porridge oats in a nylon stocking or tights leg, and tie it under the hot tap while your bath runs, then wallow for 15 mins at least. Moisturise as soon as you have dried yourself while you are still warm and soft. You may need to do this every day for a few days to start with, before you see any improvement. At the very least itching should reduce.

You can buy the cream at Boots now, but I think the Aveeno bath powder sachets are on prescription only. (These are colloidal oatmeal, porridge coloured powder) You could possibly get them all on prescription as you seem to have a chronic condition, and no Aveeno products contain steroids. They don't smell unpleasant either. I hope you find some relief.

MrsForgetful Mon 25-Feb-13 20:29:58

now 46 (yikes!) and had hot sweats for months ... periods getting closer together (23-28day cycles) ...migraines... and now scratched my itchy neck to death all night ... (wasnt aware of night sweat last night on neck)

so ... peri-menopause???

had hormones checked about a year ago for signs ... all were normal!

MrsForgetful Mon 25-Feb-13 20:35:04

i have greasy skin/hair so not dry skin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now