Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

Peri/Menopause?

(4 Posts)
73kittycat73 Mon 14-Nov-16 00:54:42

Hi, Long time lurker, first time poster so I hope I do this right. smile
I've had reason to talk to my Dr recently about a symptom that started about 6-8 weeks ago. I've started profusely sweating from the head and neck on any little excursion, even standing still brushing my teeth! It's very embarrassing, I literally get wet hair and beads running down my neck. It is so embarrassing when in a shop. I don't usually feel hot.

Anyway, the Dr said he would test for underactive thyroid. I asked if it could be anything to do with the menopause and he asked when I last had a period. I told him the last proper one was about two years ago. He laughed and told me I had the menopause. However, I am not so sure. I was given Clomipramine for anxiety/depression and the stop in periods started with taking this medicine, plus my nails would flake. I have had a handful of periods, but where I used to get very, very heavy periods, these have been so light nothing shows up on a pad, just when wiping.

I also (TMI alert.) still get mid cycle discharge. Surely that would stop? I'm also only 42 so I think 40 would be a bit early for menopause? I'd really appreciate any advice or opinions any of you could offer as to whether you think this sounds like I have had the menopause or not? (I appreciate your not Drs so can't diagnose but would welcome opinions. smile )

notangelinajolie Mon 14-Nov-16 01:24:04

Your GP needs to do blood tests before he can confirm it is menopause. I conceived at 36 and gave birth to my third child at 37. My periods never came back. Tests came back as menopause so i think at 40-42 it is quite possible. It happened to my mum at 40, early menopause can run in families - can you ask your mum? Or aunts/sisters?

73kittycat73 Mon 14-Nov-16 01:26:04

Hi notangelinajolie, thanks for the reply. smile Like I said, the Dr just laughed at me when I asked for a test for the menopause. I might try again with a different DR.
I don't have any aunts or sisters. My mum had hers in her 50's I think.

PollyPerky Mon 14-Nov-16 08:44:08

I can't believe your GP laughed when you asked for blood tests. I'm sorry but that's just disgraceful. The guidelines of NICE are test women under the age of 45 who have menopausal symptoms. If you have had an early menopause then the NICE guidelines say HRT up to the age of 52 at least. This is to prevent osteoporosis, heart disease, Parkinsons disease and possibly Alzheimers.

There is a group of women who have premature menopause (before 40) called POF and between 40-45 it's early menopause.

It's a disgrace that GPs aren't aware of this- it's not exactly rocket science - and they should all have read the NICE report a year ago and got themselves updated.

You need to be assertive with your GP and change drs if they aren't helpful.

The depression you had may have been caused by your drop in hormones.

Get some proper help!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now