Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

Peri- menopause

(13 Posts)
troubleatmill2011 Mon 31-Oct-16 11:02:54

I've had blood tests and this doesn't show menopause but I do have vaginal dryness, low libido, irregular periods (could be related to recently diagnosed fibroid and cyst too), feeling down, feel hot a lot of the time when others are cold. Do you think this could still be pre-menopause? How can I tell if the blood tests don't show?

PollyPerky Mon 31-Oct-16 16:03:52

Blood tests are not accurate for peri meno. NICE told GPs a year ago ( new menopause guidelines) not to do blood tests for meno on women over 45. If you are under 45, yes, as that would be an early menopause.

The advice from NICE is to treat symptoms and disregard age (in women over 45.)

troubleatmill2011 Mon 31-Oct-16 17:24:07

I'm 42 and blood tests have been normal

PollyPerky Mon 31-Oct-16 17:26:49

Have you had 2 tests on 2 separate months, on days 2-5 of each cycle?

If not, that's what you should have.

I think in your shoes I'd ask for a referral to a gynae who is experienced in prem menopause because something is clearly going on .

troubleatmill2011 Mon 31-Oct-16 17:37:51

No just had the one blood test. Got Gynae appointment 08/11 so will ask then, thanks

Notsogrimupnorth Wed 02-Nov-16 20:12:43

I think I have the same symptoms as you, I've had some blood tests done but they were on the first day of my period and that was just by chance as I wasn't asked to get blood test's at any particular time. I seem to be having periods every two weeks and they are ridiculously heavy, I'm currently in bed , shivering and exhausted on the second day of my period where I feel like I've lost pints. Does this sound familiar to anybody?

troubleatmill2011 Wed 02-Nov-16 20:43:37

Hi North, sorry your going through that - how old are you and how long have you being getting irregular periods?

Notsogrimupnorth Wed 02-Nov-16 21:45:58

I'm 42 and safe been getting more and more regular for the past year and more frequent. This month they seem to be heavier than ever though and I literally have no energy left. Just checked my temperature too and it's really high but not sure how that could be related 😳

troubleatmill2011 Thu 03-Nov-16 20:44:39

Probably worth a trip to your GP, my heavy periods have been put down to fibroids but my cycle is now all over the place so still think pre menopause is at play. Are you planning on going to your GP?

Notsogrimupnorth Thu 03-Nov-16 22:09:40

Have already been and waiting for blood tests. Will hopefully no more next week.

Notsogrimupnorth Thu 03-Nov-16 22:10:34

That was supposed to say know more - have been dictating so I realised that last post didn't make a huge amount of senseconfused

troubleatmill2011 Fri 04-Nov-16 07:24:26

My blood tests all came back ok but I believe blood tests often don't indicate pre menopause all that well. Let me know how you get on

Pollypocket50 Sat 05-Nov-16 18:38:51

Hello I have had heavy painful periods for 12 months. Following an internal scan I was advised that I have small fibroids.I asked to have them treated/removed but was told I had to have a Merina coil fitted. I was not keen on this so have been given the mini pill.
I still have heavy painful periods surely if the problem is the fibroids then they are best dealt with?
But having seen 3 different doctors they all say the same thing it's coil or nothing. As I am 50 they say the fibroids will disappear once it gone through menopause.
I have no symptoms of menopause and no problems till this year. I am very fit and healthy and take regular starflower and primrose.
Is the coil my only option really?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now