Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

Natural progesterone cream

(11 Posts)
Towardslight Sun 30-Oct-16 20:03:37

Hiya

I'm thinking about using a natural prog cream. Do people use any particular brand and recommend? Or equally have issues with them?

PollyPerky Mon 31-Oct-16 08:36:54

Why do you want to use it? what are your symptoms?

Towardslight Mon 31-Oct-16 11:49:26

Low mood. lack of well-being. tiredness.

Thanks, PollyPerky! Do you know of a favoured brand?

PollyPerky Mon 31-Oct-16 15:00:29

The bad news is that progesterone cream doesn't work; it's a scam.
It can't be used by the body in that form. This is why it can only be bought from suppliers outside the UK.

The cream was first manufactured to support the theory of Dr J Lee who wrote about 'oestrogen dominance'. There is no such thing.

I use micronised (totally natural) progesterone capsules orally as part of HRT. If it was available as an effective transdermal cream my consultant would prescribe it. But it's not. The amount anyone would need to use to be effective through the skin is bucket loads.

If you are suffering then it's due to low oestrogen.

Don't waste your money!

Towardslight Mon 31-Oct-16 16:31:28

Ah, interesting. I'll have to read up about this some more. My doctor has told me my ostrogen levels are ok. I might look into Maca then.

Thank you.

Cherylene Mon 31-Oct-16 16:37:36

Have you had your vit D levels checked?

Also, if you have FSH, oestrogen etc checked, it has to be done at the right time in your cycle. And even then, it can be wrong as it is all over the place during perimenopause.

Towardslight Mon 31-Oct-16 16:48:50

I'm about to have Vit D levels checked, Cherylene. Yes, the other hormone tests were all done at the correct point in cycle. I realise that they fluctuate but they give a good enough indication.

PollyPerky Mon 31-Oct-16 17:21:40

If you are over 45, NICE does not recommend hormone tests as they are unreliable. I have personal experience of this; had tests at first appt with gynae and was told I was post menopause even though my periods were regular and went on for another 2 years! (He agreed the blood tests were unreliable but I had blood taken for all sorts at that appt.)

Your hormone levels change from day to day during peri- they simply show what is going on at that hour. Your FSH might be 'normal' and a day later, low.

Rather than buy supplements (which are not proven to work) have you tried exercise, a really healthy diet, (no booze and hardly any sugar etc) and see how that feels?

Towardslight Mon 31-Oct-16 20:48:14

I'm not quite mid-forties so the tests are fine. I have a good diet and am sporty. I haven't drunk in years. I don't think it's true that all supplements don't work. Not, at least, according to the BMJ report that I read.

PollyPerky Tue 01-Nov-16 07:28:46

I didn't mean that no supplements work. the RCOG has produced a list of alternatives to HRT where they list clinical trials. (Links somewhere on this forum if searched!)
I mean I don't believe in products that promise to 'balance hormones'. Nothing can balance hormones except more hormones. And the word 'balance' is not really science- what does it really mean? Our hormones are 'balanced' if we have a cycle but when we become anovulatory in peri, we will not produce progesterone as this is only produced after ovulation. But that doesn't mean it can be 'balanced' by adding it through other substances. And any product that can really balance hormones would be a hormone and only available on prescription.

Towardslight Tue 01-Nov-16 08:35:33

Thanks PollyPerky. Interesting to have another perspective from the friends who swear by it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now