Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

Vagifem

(4 Posts)
bananaskin123 Tue 18-Oct-16 17:06:07

Hi I posted recently Vagifem v Ovestin. I also had an attack of cystitis for which the GP prescribed Trimethoprim. I had been using the Ovestin once a week for long term treatment. Talking to everyone I decided to take the advice: start a loading dose of Vagifem for two weeks every night then reduce to twice a week. Has anyone else had a problem re having dryness still at the lower end of the vagina? It almost feels like the cystitis hasn't gone away and its quite sore.

Just wondered whether I should go back on the Ovestin as its cream and I can distribute some "there". Would there be a problem changing? I've done nine days with Vagifem. The application is not so messy as the cream but I had got used to it over the years. Do you think it would be OK to restart the Ovestin at this stage?

Any advice would be welcome.

Cherylene Tue 18-Oct-16 21:22:19

Some people use a weaker oestriol cream on the outside bits with vagifem. (0.01% rather than the 0.1% ovestin).

NK346f2849X127d8bca260 Thu 20-Oct-16 11:16:14

Possibly twice a week Vagifem is not enough, certainly isn't for me. Most doctors are happy to prescribe 5 x a week as that is equivalent to the old dose of 25mg twice a week.

NK346f2849X127d8bca260 Thu 20-Oct-16 11:20:34

Vagifem was 2x 25mcg a week and changed a couple of years back to a 10mcg
dose x twice a week.
My old doctor, sadly she has left, was happy to prescribe 5x10mcg a week and said most of her ladies needed that amount.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now