Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

Neck and arm pain

(14 Posts)
Julie0210 Fri 07-Oct-16 14:44:20

Hi, I usually sleep on my front but increasing neck pain has stopped this, making sleep even more difficult along with the usual night sweats! The pain is on the right side and I also have pain in my right shoulder and inner elbow. Is this the type of aches and pains associated with the menopause? Anyone else got neck/joint pains?

Jellykat Fri 07-Oct-16 21:28:36

Well that's a coincidence, i have exactly the same!
At first i thought i'd cricked my neck somehow, but am in week 4 now.. Its horrendous, if i sleep on my left side my neck/shoulder kills where its scrunched up, but if i sleep on my tummy i get palpitations..
I know joint pain is associated with Menopause, not sure about this tho' it feels quite sciatica like, but i have Osteoarthritis so that also explains my elbow and wrist pain, but am wondering if its in my back too...

Is yours horrendous at night and for a couple of hours after getting up, but frees up during the day, as it does in my case?

Julie0210 Fri 07-Oct-16 21:56:57

Hi, yes it's really painful during the night and when I get up then eases over the day. Not sure if it's muscular or joint related but it's annoying! At least it's not just me

KittyB52 Sat 08-Oct-16 22:03:08

I have neck pain too - it is uncomfortable at night as well as throughout thr day. I'm seeing a physio about it - hopefully it will ease as my sleep is poor enough without this as well.

MollyHuaCha Sun 27-Nov-16 00:29:58

I have developed this recently too. I'm seeing a chiropractor - making a big difference to me. Not sure if it's available on NHS or not, but I highly recommend it.

babybarrister Sun 27-Nov-16 21:28:49

It certainly is connected with periods as the slight increase in fluid retention puts extra pressure on various bits so there is actually a reason for it ....[my orthopaedic surgeon friend told me this!]

hugoagogo Sun 27-Nov-16 21:37:03

Interesting, I have started having shoulder pain from sleeping on my front, it never occurred to me it might be associated with menopause. shock

I suppose I am getting to that age.

Megainstant Mon 28-Nov-16 11:56:28

Does neck pain increase with menopause shock

mine is horrendous and interestingly has got much worse since my periods have started to be more infrequent

MollyHuaCha Mon 28-Nov-16 22:06:26

I wasn't aware of that connection. I shall ask my lovely chiropractor tomorrow.

ShotgunNotDoingThePans Mon 28-Nov-16 22:14:27

Do some weight training. I had neck and shoulder pain for years but it's pretty much gone now (I'm 53). I can't tell you what a difference it's made.

PollyPerky Tue 29-Nov-16 12:59:19

Don't think it's anything to do with menopause.
Old age maybe!

Everyone stiffens up a bit as they get older- wear and tear and less flexibility.

Might be due to posture sitting at pc too. Have you had your position assessed ?www.nhs.uk/Livewell/workplacehealth/Pages/howtositcorrectly.aspx

Have a massage maybe?

ShotgunNotDoingThePans Tue 29-Nov-16 13:03:31

Yep we do all stiffen as we get older, and believe me I've been through the gamut of approaches in my time: postural/imbalances/needling/massage/osteo/chiro. The only thing that's worked is the weight training approach (helped by a strength and conditioning coach). And guess what? I'm hardly stiff at all now, and I can sit and stand how I like!

MollyHuaCha Tue 29-Nov-16 18:45:39

I asked chiropractor today if neck pain and stiffness was age related. She said there's no reason why it should be. Apparently having a strong body prevents these pains.

Must go now, need to get back to my exercises... 🏋🏊🏻‍♀️🚴‍♀️⛹️‍♀️

ShotgunNotDoingThePans Tue 29-Nov-16 18:47:39

< Likes > Molly's post. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now