Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

Ladies, tell me about the menopause

(25 Posts)
Princesspink999 Sun 25-Sep-16 23:57:02

I'm 47 and for the last 18 months I've had mid cycle bleeding for a few months then spotting for a week before my period, then 2 week periods, then periods 3 weeks apart and now 4 weeks apart again but very variable flow. Is this right? Can anyone relate to this - it all seems very odd. Any clue what will happen next? Any advice gratefully received!!

SpookyRachel Mon 26-Sep-16 00:02:19

Yes, your cycle goes a bit haywire for a while. And then it stops. Trying to remember how long the 'haywire' bit lasts (did you know forgetfulness is a symptom of menopause?!) and think maybe 2-3 years. But maybe there's wide individual variation, I'm not sure. I think I was kind of where you are at 47, then fully menopausal at 50.

MumOnTheRunCatchingUp Mon 26-Sep-16 00:08:48

Hot flushes? Any other symptoms?

WinchesterWoman Mon 26-Sep-16 00:18:45

Haywire is right. You find yourself constantly prepared to start your period. You use more tampons than when you're actually having proper periods. Like martini, you know, any time any place anywhere. I didn't wear any thing but indigo jeans and long cardigans for about a year.

WinchesterWoman Mon 26-Sep-16 00:20:37

In fact I'm convinced this is why the long cardi is so poular with women of a certain age.

pinkieandperkie Mon 26-Sep-16 06:24:38

Ooh I love a long cardi. For me I had a couple of years of haywire periods that were sometimes so heavy I didn't feel comfortable leaving the house and the bleed time would be up to three weeks then maybe nothing for a couple of months. Constantly feeling like a period is coming. I can cry really easily at the most ridiculous things like a B & Q advert. I could fall asleep really easily but would wake up and toss and turn all night unable to go back to sleep. I get quite a lot of headaches and my joints and muscles ache. Relentless hot flushes. I started this is 47 and am now 50 and haven't had a period for nine months. You have to go twelve months without a period to be in actual menopause. It's not great but we all have to go through it.

WinchesterWoman Mon 26-Sep-16 08:05:17

Sometimes I take black cohosh

WinchesterWoman Mon 26-Sep-16 08:06:25

Oh the sleeplessness! Yes awful

Justmuddlingalong Mon 26-Sep-16 08:10:07

Sorry for the hijack. I'm 46. Periods still regular as clockwork, but I have cramping for most of the month and my boobs are constantly achy. Is this another 'just my age' symptom?

Princesspink999 Mon 26-Sep-16 09:05:16

Thank you ladies and please do hijack - at least I know I'm not alone!!

pinkieandperkie Mon 26-Sep-16 09:10:47

Just I would only get sore boobs if I hadn't had a period for three months and one was coming but generally no boob soreness. I don't get cramping but do feel heavy in that area at times. It's hard to describe but I wouldn't call it cramping.

LucyLocketLostHerPocket Mon 26-Sep-16 09:17:15

Also 47, periods every 4 weeks at the mo though did disappear for 6 months last year then every 3 weeks for a while. Worst bit for me are the cramps, for a good two weeks before my period actually arrive so have bad cramps/tummy ache then I'm bleeding for a good week so one week a month where I actually ok and feel normal. Been like this for a few months now. I'm fit, healthy and definitely not overweight but don't take any supplements. I'm a committed low carber so think my blood sugars etc are as stable as they can be.

Just want it all done now. Feeling lousy and in pain for 2-3 weeks at a time is really taking in out of me.

SabineUndine Mon 26-Sep-16 10:02:56

I had about six months of haywire, then six months normal but increasingly heavy, then nothing, then three months, the first of which was very heavy, then they stopped, except for one (I suspect anovulatory) light bleed. Hot flushes usually starting in the early hours and going on for several hours or days. Weird muscle aches, ocular migraines, dry mouth, no appetite, increased appetite. If you get an odd symptom, google it with the word menopause, and someone will have connected the two!

pinkieandperkie Mon 26-Sep-16 10:31:17

Ooh I've thought of a positive symptom, leg and armpit hair growth has slowed down dramatically. It's great only having to shave once a fortnight.

SpookyRachel Mon 26-Sep-16 18:17:42

pinkieandperkie - you're right, I hardly need to shave any more.

SabineUndine Thu 29-Sep-16 17:25:44

I've gone from being very unhairy to having a slight moustache which I wax
Also, as of ten minutes ago I've just started my first fucking period in 15 months.

pinkieandperkie Thu 29-Sep-16 17:36:18

Oh Sabine don't say that. I'm waiting for the magic twelve months with out periods for it to be over and I'm nine months in. I thought if periods went for twelve months that would be that. Now I learn this is not truesmile

AndreaJane11 Fri 14-Oct-16 20:03:37

For cramping and sore boobs, if you are not taking any meds, try high strength evening primrose oil. Also Vitamin B6 can help. I take a good mineral supplement too as you can easily get deficient with minerals. Let me know if you would like to know where I buy them. They really help me.

enolagayits0815 Fri 14-Oct-16 20:06:28

Sport is the way to go, I joined the gym a month ago, go every day and my period has just finished after two scant days instead of a week of flooding, no hot flushes, no cramps and no mood swings. I'm 50 and have had menopause symptoms for eight years. I've been able to come off all medication.

Northernmum100 Fri 14-Oct-16 20:25:52

Random periods and when it does arrive, so heavy that I don't like to venture out too far. Migraines too - never had them until a couple of years ago (now 47) but at least it gives me the heads up that a period is iminent! The thing that is really getting to me is thinning hair - I'm not a vain person at all but I used to love my hairconfused

BG2015 Fri 14-Oct-16 21:35:33

Can't say anything about my periods as I've had a coil in that stopped working in April, just had an endometrial ablation because of constant heavy bleeding.

But I started with night sweats and hot flushes about 6 months ago. My sleep has also gone a bit haywire, often struggling to get to sleep or waking very early.

I'm a regular gym goer, running, spin, weights, Zumba. Trying to keep that going as I believe it will help.

Still got my sex drive, weight is pretty stable.

I'm 47!

enolagayits0815 Sun 16-Oct-16 09:09:47

I wish I didn't have to shave, I'm getting inch long arm hairs and ginger curly eyebrows which are insanely long.

Zighy1 Sat 19-Nov-16 17:39:49

Is anyone getting insane mood swings and feelings of not coping and extreme tiredness? I stormed out of a supermarket because I was overwhelmed by the choose and I am generally down and not great company. I'm slightly worried its early onset dementia (family history, granny and mum who is currently in care home) so hoping others had menopausal symtoms like this. I'm 50. This is not my usual personality I am usually upbeat.

Mindtrope Mon 21-Nov-16 21:31:15

I guess everyone is different though. I had my last period exactly 12 months ago. Until that time they were regular as clockwork and normal, Since then nothing so I guess the menopause is well under way. I have had no hot flushes, no night sweats, no mood swings. I feel totally fine.

And it's great having no periods.

80sWaistcoat Tue 22-Nov-16 09:55:27

Zighy1 yep. Had all that. With me it's a mixture of menopause and my natural curmudgeonly character coming through more clearly these days.

Doctor suggested Agnus Castus for moodiness - which I think has helped. Also keeping my oestrogen levels up ( I'm on the pill - well I was until a couple of weeks ago) has helped. But I'd haven taken HRT if I could find one that agreed with me.

I really thought I was going mad - proper mad - anxiety, depression, snappiness and RAGE. Knackered all the time and not sleeping either.

Going to the GP really helped once I'd found a GP that knew something about the menopause.

Have a look on Menopause Matters website.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now