Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

Link between early days perimenopause and migraines?

(9 Posts)
Mummytron Tue 20-Sep-16 15:30:39

I think I've been peri menopausal for a year and a half, blood tests unreliable and show nothing but I've had a lot more headaches/ migraines lately. I've had my eyes checked and that's all fine and just wondered if anyone else is the same?

Thanks

SabineUndine Wed 28-Sep-16 22:15:28

I started to get ocular migraines about four years ago which was, in retrospect, the start of the peri menopause for me. So maybe the same for you? They've stopped now, as have my periods.

Mummytron Wed 28-Sep-16 22:52:17

That's interesting. Did the ocular migraines always cause pain?
Did you ever get the visual issues alone?

SabineUndine Thu 29-Sep-16 10:08:35

To begin, just the visual stuff then they developed (after a few months) to give me increasing pain and also stomach upsets etc. Then less pain for a couple, then they stopped (fingers crossed).

80sWaistcoat Thu 29-Sep-16 10:09:58

I started getting v bad headaches - in retrospect migrainey as also wiped out, needing to go to bed etc - when starting with peri. Didn't go on for ever and has largely stopped now.

Mummytron Sat 01-Oct-16 22:08:57

Thanks all
Out of interest, when did you get these headaches? Mine seem to be a week before I'm due on, when I come on and when I finish. It's driving me mad.

FanSpamTastic Sat 01-Oct-16 22:17:40

I am suffering too. Had occasional migraines but over the last 6 months have had one every month. Usually part way through or end of my period. I'm 47. Not been to the doctors to find out if this is peri menopause - what do they do to check?

Mummytron Sat 01-Oct-16 22:41:41

Not a lot really. They can do blood tests but they are unreliable.
Mine have been normal and I've been having peri symptoms for nearly two years. Because I'm only just 40 they won't commit.

PollyPerky Sun 02-Oct-16 09:07:41

Mummy I've had 'hormonal' migraines all my life. They are very common.
Even long before peri or menopause I'd get a migraine the week before a period- it's caused by the falling of progesterone. Some women get them when they are on the Pill and have the withdrawal week - end of the packet. It's nothing to worry about - and no real answer but as you are only 40 you might find the Pill would regulate your cycle and maybe help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now