Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

Depression and anxiety - life or menopause and suggestions?

(4 Posts)
toomanycatsonthebed Tue 20-Sep-16 09:52:34

Hello,

I had a full hysterectomy (one ovary left) a few years ago, so can't tell if I am officially menopausal, but I have all the other physical symptoms for the last few years too. However, I have recently felt an overwhelming sense of dislocation, inability to relate to others, anxiety, 'depression' and just a sense of dread all the time. I am also constantly annoyed by my mother, sister, partner.... BUT, I also have one darling son who has just gone to Uni (he has mild Aspergers and I am anxious for him), his twin at home who is a challenging young woman, a full-time job and home responsibilities as a single parent and a diagnosis of cancer of the eye which requires regular scans to see if it has spread....

I believe I am quite a mentally strong person and can surmount most things, but this dread feeling feels unshakeable and it is affecting my life and relationships. Even the most minor incident can wobble me. Does this sound like normal for menopause and if so, what works to shift it?

Thank you

PollyPerky Tue 20-Sep-16 13:35:30

Oh gosh- you've got a huge amount on your plate.

Any one of those would floor most people!

The medical advice for menopausal anxiety is a mix of lifestyle measures (if you have time!) such as exercise and 'downtime' when you can relax. The next step is HRT which is in the new NICE guidelines as being appropriate for anxiety and low mood rather than anti depressants. Don't allow your dr to fob you off with those because NICE is trying to stop their over-use in menopausal women unless they are diagnosed as clinically depressed.

toomanycatsonthebed Tue 20-Sep-16 14:33:17

Thanks Polly,

I am trying to avoid the HRT route but it is good to hear I am not going bats and that anxiety can be menopause related....

x

PollyPerky Tue 20-Sep-16 15:47:57

This is the part from the NICE guidelines about Psychological symptoms:

Psychological symptoms

1.4.5 Consider HRT to alleviate low mood that arises as a result of the menopause.

1.4.6 Consider CBT to alleviate low mood or anxiety that arise as a result of the menopause.

1.4.7 Ensure that menopausal women and healthcare professionals involved in their care understand that there is no clear evidence for SSRIs or SNRIs to ease low mood in menopausal women who have not been diagnosed with depression (see the NICE guideline on depression in adults).

The website Menopause Matters is run by a consultant and has a lot of information on risks v benefits of HRT which is very helpful if you are unsure and concerned by the media reports.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now