Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

Has the menopause passed me by?

(10 Posts)
doraismissing Thu 15-Sep-16 13:08:07

Just had company medical. I am in my late 40s and asked about the menopause. I have a minera coil fitted for heavy periods about 6/7 years ago and haven't had a bleed since. Apart from the occasional instance where I have been very hot which could be down to other factors (ie on tube home) nothing much else apart from putting on weight (ie eating too much and not enough exercise) and being cranky with dh and kids (who isn't at times) to note.

As I haven't had a period in years I can't use that as a guide. Have I been incredibly lucky and let the menopause carry on unawares or is it still to come. Dr said wait 18 months until I am 50 and then get some blood tests. Should I be tested now.

Tbh I'm not really bothered either way. It's a part of the cycle of life but would be interested to know either way so at least I can pass that info onto dds as, for other reasons, not much medical history from my parents.

MrsHughesCarson Thu 15-Sep-16 13:18:48

I haven't got any advice I'm afraid, but am watching this with interest as I am in the same position at the age of 51. I have had a Mirena for 7 years so no periods, but no menopause symptoms either.

icouldabeenacontender Thu 15-Sep-16 13:21:32

Well I don't have a Mirena but am 49 with periods but no menopause symptoms as yet, so yes it could have passed you by, or no, it's all still to come, just a bit later?
I wouldn't bother with a test yet though.

PollyPerky Thu 15-Sep-16 13:28:49

There is time ladies, there is timesmile

I thought meno had passed me by and was pleased as punch that I was doing all the right things (lifestyle) to shrug it off. Not a hint of anything other than The Rage quite often (aimed at teenagers at home.)

Got to 52/53 with no symptoms at all except the occasional very short cycle (17 days once) then missed 4 cycles in a row and was disgusted to get hourly hot flushes and terrible insomnia.

If you have a Mirena you won't see changes in your cycles. Symptoms tend to start once your oestrogen levels fall lower which can take years.

icouldabeenacontender Thu 15-Sep-16 13:31:39

See dora, I knew someone would be along to cheer us all up about what the future holds grin

aginghippy Thu 15-Sep-16 13:33:06

If the average age of menopause in the UK is 51, that must mean that lots of women go through it later in their 50s. My guess is that yours is still to come.

If you aren't having any problems and aren't that bothered either way, I can't see any reason to get tested.

PollyPerky Thu 15-Sep-16 13:46:45

Yes the average is 51 -52. The range is from 45-55 (ish).

There is no need for blood tests unless you want to ditch birth control and have your coil removed. Then you need to use birth control for 12 months if you over 50 or 2 years if under 50 (after you have had your final period.) Though you won't know it was your final period until 12 months later confused !

doraismissing Thu 15-Sep-16 15:23:35

Thanks to everyone.

Just had confirmation that minera went in over 7 years ago so I have probably gone through it according to dr as I have been 2 years over the 5 without a bleed.

PollyPerky Thu 15-Sep-16 16:04:29

Bit unsure how your dr arrived at that conclusion. The honest truth is he won't know (but maybe doesn't want to admit it.)

Does he mean the Mirena would have 'run out' 2 years ago ( as its lifespan is 5 years)? You may still have oestrogen circulating and this will fall further as you go further into menopause (just to cheer you up!) Don't be surprised if you start to have symptoms because menopause is divided into short term (ish) symptoms (flushes and so on which can last anywhere from 2-15 years) and longer term symptoms.

Maybe you will be one of the lucky ones though and get away lightly!

DramaAlpaca Sat 17-Sep-16 21:08:12

I'm in the same position. I'm 52, I've had the mirena in for 6 years, and I've no idea whether I've gone through the menopause or not as I've had no periods for years and no menopause symptoms either. My GP says to leave the mirena in for another year and then she'll do blood tests. So I'm also following this with interest.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now