Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

WTF do you wear to bed?!

(21 Posts)
Euphemia Sun 21-Aug-16 21:51:11

I'm waiting for new meds to kick in for hot flushes: in the meantime, I'm alternately bathed in sweat and freezing cold all night. Duvet on, duvet off, duvet on, duvet off all night.

What the hell to wear?!

Woopsiedaisy Sun 21-Aug-16 22:03:00

Nothing,

Fan by the bed. Mine is on the floor pointing up so that the air blows over my body. It also has a remote control and timer so that it turns itself off after 15 / 30 .... minutes.

Also found that Sage was the best thing to take for hot flushes during the Menopause. You need to persevere as it takes about three months to kick in, but it works

Euphemia Sun 21-Aug-16 22:07:48

Is it noisy?

TroysMammy Sun 21-Aug-16 22:10:09

Nothing. I kick the summer quilt off my legs and shuffle them to get them covered again it seems all night.

I tried the tip of filling a hot water bottle with cold water it cooled the bed before I got into it but it was too cold to cuddle it.

Doilooklikeatourist Sun 21-Aug-16 22:10:10

I wear a cotton nightie and put my feet out of the bed clothes
And sigh
And change the sheets

CotswoldStrife Sun 21-Aug-16 22:12:40

Cotton chemise-type nightdress (thin straps, above the knee) and faff about with the covers a lot. Just to add to the fun, my back plays up if I let it get too cold so try to cover that bit grin

ishouldcocoa Sun 21-Aug-16 22:14:25

I wear an HRT patch. Works a treat 😊

SirChenjin Sun 21-Aug-16 22:20:23

DH's baggy cotton shor sleeved t-shirts which come to mid thigh- cheap white ones from Asda which can go in the wash in the morning, with cotton knickers and socks.

I've been prescribed HRT - can't wait for my next period so I can start it.

Euphemia Sun 21-Aug-16 22:26:05

I can't take HRT as it gives me migraines.

No period since beginning of June - I hope this fucking nonsense fucks the fuck off soon! angry

whitehandledkitchenknife Sun 21-Aug-16 22:26:22

Cotton pyjamas - with just one button done up on the top. Easy to rip open. Easy to close back.

PollyPerky Mon 22-Aug-16 08:07:42

Pure silk nightwear is very comfy and cooler than cotton- I wear chemise type nighties.

Not sure how many types of HRT you have tried Euphemia? Do you know if it's the estrogen or the progestogen elements that affect your migraine? If you've not tried a few types it might be helpful to experiment. Many women find they get a migraine with the withdrawal of the progestogen phase ( just before the bleed) but if you were taking combined HRT you could well be reacting to the daily progestogen. Trying a separate estrogen (like gel or a patch) and adding in the progestogen in a cyclical / sequential form might help identify what's causing it.

Just some ideas- my mum had flushes and sweats well into her 80s so wouldn't want anyone to suffer if something might help. My consultant says some women never stop having them.

80sWaistcoat Mon 22-Aug-16 18:10:38

I'd highly recommend a wool duvet from the incredibly well named soak and sleep (other retailers are available). Transformed my sleeping, no longer wake up with that clammy drowning feeling. I think it regulates my heat and wicks it Away. Also hit, agnus cactus and menopace. But the wool duvet seems to have made the biggest difference.

Woopsiedaisy Mon 22-Aug-16 19:18:42

Sorry for not responding earlier Euphemia

My Fan is not as noisy as normal fans but was expensive. It is the Dyson Desk Fan. I did get £50 off it though by asking John Lewis to price match Currys.

I still get hot flushes 8 years after starting my Menopause so reckon it was worth every penny.

HormonalHeap Tue 23-Aug-16 07:06:47

Knickers. In hotel at moment with air con on low and slept right through.

Melindas1965 Sat 27-Aug-16 19:22:21

Hi can anyone help please..I am having hot flushes every 45 mins on average..I have started a low dose HRT yesterday..was just wondering how long it takes to kick in thanks x

HormonalHeap Tue 30-Aug-16 22:49:52

I felt a slight difference after 10/14 days. Improvement is gradual while it builds up, takes 6-8 weeks to feel full effect.

Hellothereitsme Wed 31-Aug-16 14:14:42

I stayed in a hotel last week in Spain and had the air con on max. For the first time in a year I didn't have any hot flashes. Opening the window here doesn't have the same effect.

HormonalHeap Wed 31-Aug-16 16:40:08

Agree Hello, but it's not just the flushes for me it's general crap quality of sleep without hrt

ssd Wed 07-Sep-16 15:01:31

I love the thought of a fan, but isnt it annoying coming off and on during the night? I leave the windows open and the bloody magpies start piping up around daybreak angry

and does the fan go on low, I couldnt bare a big blast of air suddenly in my face (grumpy me)

ssd Wed 07-Sep-16 15:02:51

good lord they start at £200!!

Hellothereitsme Wed 07-Sep-16 17:30:09

I agree hormonalheap. My quality of sleep is appalling. Then some days in the afternoon I can hardly keep my eyes open - utterly exhausted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now