Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

HOT FLUSHES...

(12 Posts)
slowandfrumpy Thu 18-Aug-16 00:02:27

Hello.
Periods stopped suddenly last September, and I've had three since then, and nothing for the last four months.
But, oh my goodness, the flushes are in full force. I feel as if I am permanately hot, and then on top of that I have extra hot flushes throughout the day - at least one an hour - and then a nighttime of waves of heat. I don't sweat a lot, but I've never been a very sweaty person. Although one of my daughters gave me a kiss today and told me my face was all sweaty, so maybe I'm becoming a sweaty person.

Is this normal? Or a lot? It feels like a lot to me.

GenghisCalm Thu 18-Aug-16 00:09:01

Sorry, but that is exactly how I felt before HRT.

I read about hot flushes but I never read anywhere that it was like being boiled from the inside out.

slowandfrumpy Thu 18-Aug-16 05:16:40

Genghis: please can you tell me some more about what HRT did for you.
It's 5am. I am now normally awake two hours in the night too hot to sleep.
Before this year, I was a champion sleeper.

PollyPerky Thu 18-Aug-16 08:06:51

A good place to start is the website Menopause Matters - owned by a consultant gynae who is chairperson of the British Menopause Society.
Loads of info on the menu there and a large section on HRT under 'Treatments' on the menu.

www.menopausematters.co.uk

Read as much as you can inc the new NICE menopause guidelines (all online, links on this forum if you search) and decide what route you want to go down.

I went onto HRT 8 years ago due to insomnia and hourly hot flushes. I still wake a couple of times during the night, often, but it's a lot better than before HRT.

pinkieandperkie Thu 18-Aug-16 16:32:53

slow the same thing happened to me earlier. My DS was leaving for work and kissed me on the face and asked why I was so hot and sweaty. Fun isn't itconfused

girlandboy Thu 18-Aug-16 16:37:35

Me too! My last period was only 3 months ago, though they're a bit all over the place.
I've just come out of Tesco looking like a Belisha Beacon confused

It creeps up my arms first before zipping across my chest, neck and face. I've just started (2 days ago) taking a supplement of Black Cohosh to see if it makes a difference. Time will tell if it works, but I'm hating this hot weather!

slowandfrumpy Thu 18-Aug-16 18:13:06

Re black cohosh
I took it and a few weeks later developed this terrible itch and rash on my hands
The doctor thought it might be scabies and then I said it reminded me of obstetric cholestasis which is a liver condition I had when pregnant. She asked me if I was taking black cohosh and when I said yes told me to stop immeadiately as it is in some cases associated with liver disease and failure! I stopped (and didn't do any scabies cream) and a few days later it had died down and gone. So beware!!!!!

PollyPerky Thu 18-Aug-16 20:03:47

The RCOG has produced a patient leaflet on alternatives to HRT- you can find it through Mr Google. I have linked to it many times on this forum too. The risks and efficacy of many herbal treatments are shown.

gingergeranium Fri 19-Aug-16 09:12:50

This might seem a silly question but does paracetamol help a hot flush?

I've been wondering about peri for a while and felt extremely hot this morning. But paracetamol really helped.

Or I'm fighting off a virus. Again.

gingergeranium Fri 19-Aug-16 09:14:30

(Sorry for hijacking)

PollyPerky Fri 19-Aug-16 09:20:46

well, that's a new one!

No idea! It ought to reduce a temperature, but you can't live off paracetamol- too dangerous. You can only take 8 max in 24 hrs and if you were to use them day i, day out, you'd end up with liver damage possibly.

BIWI Fri 19-Aug-16 09:23:31

I found Boots Menolieve very helpful, but it does contain Black Cohosh, so you need to be aware of that.

The other thing that helped massively - which I discovered quite coincidentally - was cutting right back on carbs (sugar/alcohol) as well as caffeine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now