Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

Susceptibility to insect bites

(13 Posts)
DelphiniumBlue Mon 08-Aug-16 12:18:40

I react really badly to insect bites, and this has got worse during the last 5 years or so.
I was wondering if there's any link between menopause and increased susceptibility to bites? Couldn't find anything on Google, but anecdotally?
Has anyone else notoiced this?
And if anyone has any tips to stop the itching, or to deter the buggers in the first place, I'd be really grateful! Got bitten through a dress and leggings, despite being covered with spray. Am dosed up with piriton, but it makes me very slow, and I'm still itchy!

weirdsister Mon 08-Aug-16 12:22:22

I read on here that vitamin B12 and garlic capsules help. Maybe worth a try?

DelphiniumBlue Mon 08-Aug-16 12:27:43

Thanks, Weird, I'm trying vitamin b complex, but haven't been hugely consistent. I ear garlic most days, but wonder if the amount in capsules might be different, and thus more effective? Will check it out.

Berthatydfil Mon 08-Aug-16 12:37:19

I seem to be getting bitten more than in the past but I only tend to get bitten on holidays.
This year I bought this - it doesn't deter bites but really helps stopping the itching - I can recommend it it's called bite away - see pic. I got it from Amazon.
You put it on the bite and it heats up to about 45 degrees. It really works to stop the reaction and the itching and swelling.
I won't lie - it does hurt a bit actually the worse the bite/the reaction the more it hurts so not for the faint hearted.
We have used the clickers before which are quite good but this is better.
We've been in France and Spain so picked up a collection of bites.

DelphiniumBlue Mon 08-Aug-16 14:43:16

Oh thanks Bertha, will investigate.
I'm getting bitten in my own back garden, even hanging out the washing needs a full deterrent spray!

bibbitybobbityyhat Mon 08-Aug-16 14:57:04

Apparently Avon's Skin So Soft body lotion is an absolutely brilliant insect deterrent. I keep forgetting to buy it and am sitting herein Spain covered in really angry insect bites sad

FinallyHere Mon 08-Aug-16 16:14:51

I agree about vitB12.

Ive always been bitten a lot by mosquitoes and hate the while itchiness. I take a mosquito net on holiday to sleep under. Take some extra net and masking tape to cover the windows in my bedroom. Avoid having the light on after dark in my bedroom.

I really notice that my diet makes a big difference, i avoided sugar, including refined carbs, wheat and grains for a couple of years and noticed that i got bitten a lot less.

DelphiniumBlue Mon 08-Aug-16 23:34:16

Interesting what Finally says re diet. And I've heard mention of the Avon cream.
I don't even know what is biting me- presumably not actual mosquitoes here in my English garden. But for the last few years my reaction has got worse - enough to need time off work sometimes, and occasionally antibiotics.

hellsbells99 Mon 08-Aug-16 23:44:22

I can't believe how much I have been bitten this year too, so I totally sympathise. I am also going through the menopause. I currently have 3 very itchy bites and I am sure they are mozzie bites - yes I am in England.

DelphiniumBlue Tue 09-Aug-16 13:30:19

Thanks HellsBells, good to know I'm not suffering alone. Though I wouldn't wish this on anyone.

Cherylene Tue 09-Aug-16 13:51:45

I am suffering and covered in the deet I bought for Thailand (and didn't need).

I have put washing up liquid in the water butts (stergene is better because it doesn't break down fast, but I haven't got any (because it doesn't break down fast)).

I have become suspicious of any insect in the house and chase it with the electric fly zapper as soon as I spot one. I am turning into mad woman. grin

PollyPerky Tue 09-Aug-16 17:17:01

Never noticed any connection. Have always reacted badly- once had 30 mossie bites on my face when on a Greek island and was only 30 at the time. Midges do the same in the UK- always have. My bites pulsate and ooze.

Pimmmms Sat 13-Aug-16 21:59:22

I am certainly reacting more. I have always reacted but am now getting ulcerated sores from bites and even things like raspberry bush stings (through jeans!!!), needing prescription strength antihistamines and antibiotic steroid cream. I've now gone onto HRT so will pay attention as to whether this eases up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now