Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

Throbbing veins in left hand / poor circulation - is this all Peri ?

(11 Posts)
dahliaaa Tue 26-Jul-16 16:52:14

I'm 46 and have an odd mix of random things happening. Sure most of them are down to peri menopause.

Anyway most recent is making me feel a bit uneasy. Sounds quite weird but veins on top of left hand keep 'bulging' and feel a bit 'strange.' The best way I can describe is the 'contracting' sensation you sometimes get in blood vessels when having blood pressure checked.

Definitely worse when hand is waist height or below.

Ring any bells with anyone else? As in already getting much more puffy ankles (I'm not overweight) I'm guessing it's to do with circulation which in turn I'm guessing isn't great with peri/menopause)??

ButteredToastAndStrawberryJam Tue 26-Jul-16 17:12:12

I don't get that in my hand but I have a more prominent pulse overall. I've had all the regular checks at GP's, blood pressure, urine, blood checks, I even had the ECG heart monitor on for 25 seconds, nothing untoward. Have you had all these checks recently?

dahliaaa Tue 26-Jul-16 17:21:58

Urine and blood all fine last time had a test. BP 'high-normal' (family history of high blood pressure so I've got a monitor at home too and doesn't seem to have changed much.)
Never had an ECG
Interesting that you've noticed that with your pulse.

ButteredToastAndStrawberryJam Tue 26-Jul-16 17:49:44

That's good that you have a BP monitor at home, least you can reassure yourself with regards to that. Like you, these past couple of years I have random things start up then go away, this pulse thing doesn't seem to be going though, I get what feels like fluttering in my heart now and again, a few times I've had one big thud a few times it's horrible. Do you get any dizziness.

dahliaaa Tue 26-Jul-16 18:20:42

This is very therapeutic :-) I've definitely found my new 'area' on mumsnet!!

I do get quite a lot of dizziness if I stand for any length of time. I give a lot of seminars and have had to perfect the art of 'casually' leaning against a desk to stop the sensation. That started about two years ago.

Memory is also totally shot. I have to write down EVERYTHING at work.

ButteredToastAndStrawberryJam Tue 26-Jul-16 18:32:41

The dizziness is just horrible isn't it. I get frightened sometimes thinking about it getting so bad I can't manage work or tasks around the house, I need to stop worry about what if's, I've got enough worry to be getting on with grin. I suppose it's just the body/brain getting used to this big change and then hopefully just settling down again, sooner rather than later!

I'm hoping not to have to take HRT, I'm taking some meno vits at the minute, I tried Evening Primrose too. Are you taking any supplements.

dahliaaa Tue 26-Jul-16 18:38:57

Yes I'm hoping to avoid HRT too because of family history of breast cancer (although I know that there are different thoughts on that.)

Are you similar age?

I'm only taking a multivit/mineral at the moment but think I'll start to look at other options. I had lots of night sweats last year but they seem to have eased a bit (although I'm expecting them to come back.)

Totally understand why you find the dizziness unnerving. It really makes everything feel out of kilter.

ButteredToastAndStrawberryJam Tue 26-Jul-16 18:55:33

Yes, same age. Glad your night sweats have gone, hopefully they don't return! I've not have any yet. My last two periods have been two months apart instead of about the month, but came back with a vengeance, will be glad to get rid of them at least.
I gave up wine and coffee for a few months, didn't make any difference, so I'm back on the wine, leaving the coffee for now though. I do a lot of walking too, these things are supposed to help.

SpongeBobJudgeyPants Tue 26-Jul-16 19:03:10

Interesting that you think your circulation is being affected by peri. I have recently had what I think are circulation issues in my legs at night in bed. I notice them most when I am trying to read. I wondered if elevating them might help. Have also had a feeling of pulsing in my hand sometimes, when I think about it, no sensible suggestion sorry.

dahliaaa Tue 26-Jul-16 20:11:05

Reassuring to hear that you've had some similar spongebob

Butteredtoast I don't drink coffee anyway (don't like it) but trying in vain to cut down on sugar. And just generally to be a bit healthier to try and minimise any impacts. I'm going wade my way through some of the threads on here to see if I can find any tips.

ButteredToastAndStrawberryJam Tue 26-Jul-16 20:33:11

Yes, good idea, it helps to talk through things and know that we aren't alone for sure.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now