Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

Can anyone help me please?

(2 Posts)
MenopausalRubbish Mon 27-Jun-16 11:29:06

I'm a mess and feel awful. Normally I love reading up on whatever I'm interested in, but I can't seem to find the space in my head to do this and I feel in such a fog and in constant grumbling pain.

I'm part way through menopause, I think. I'm 51, missed periods for three and five months and generally things are suggesting that I am part way through.

I feel dreadful. So bad tempered, depressed, so tired, headaches, low level pain in my whole body, bit of dizzyness and nausea. I came off anti-depressants a little while ago and have major work going on in our house at the moment - so the timing is crap.

What should I do? I have a blood test booked to check iron, thyroxine, for diabetes etc, and then a doctor's appointment next week.

I don't know whether I should opt for anti-depressants or HRT. I know the WHO says don't go for ADs to treat meno symptoms. I tried to look at the Menopause Matters website but am feeling generally feeble and pathetic and can't focus on it when I have so much to do. I wanted to do things naturally, but if I was low enough to need ADs in the last couple of years, I'm not sure I can crack it with natural things (plus I'm allergic to soya).

What sort of HRT would I be looking at, and by taking it am I just delaying the inevitable? Will my body and brain still have to adjust to reduced levels of hormones when I come off instead?

Thank you.

PS: I will reply, but have name changed and don't want to out myself - so will change back until I have a few replies.

Maybenot321 Mon 27-Jun-16 11:42:54

I think you should wait until you have the other blood results first, just in case it is hypothyroidism etc; especially since you don't mention hot flushes in your symptoms.
If bloods all clear, no reason you couldn't have HRT and ADs together.
Probably best to try the HRT first, then add the ADs in later?
Have taken both patches + tablets- both fine , but initial first few months on HRT had dreadful nausea + bloating, eventually settled and the relief from the hot flushes was fab!
Good luck flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now