Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

Elleste Duet and painful bleeds?

(7 Posts)
Rafflesway Tue 31-May-16 11:18:21

I have been taking Elleste Duet 1mg for 3 years now following many years of suffering dreadful hot flushes, night sweats etc. (I am now 61 - almost 62.). I was still having the very occasional period when I started on the hrt.

This drug has suited me fantastically well until about 5 months ago. Although I hated having the monthly bleeds - obviously - I felt so much better and they were only very mildly uncomfortable. However, about 5 months ago I started suffering the most horrendously painful cramps during the monthly bleed and the bleeding is slightly heavier although not massively. I never had bad menstrual cramps when having normal periods.

These monthly cramps seem to be getting worse - literally take my breath away - and last for 2 days during which time I virtually can't move. (Presently suffering yet again and it is pretty relentless.)

I plan to see GP once this bleed is over. I am wondering if perhaps I have developed fybroids? Has anyone else had this problem please?

PollyPerky Tue 31-May-16 12:46:04

Sympathies. I too have had really bad period pains on HRT but not all the time.I am on long-cycle HRT so have a bleed once every 2 months which is in effect once every 10 weeks. I couldn't bear to have monthly periods in my 60s. I might have on average a painful bleed twice a year which sends me to bed for half a day and I certainly couldn't risk going out- feel sick, faint, diarrhoea.It's very hard to plan work and things around it all.
I don't know why it happens. I don't want to use conti HRT- tried it and didn't like using 2 hormones daily. I have a tiny fibroid- about 3cms,I'm told and it's never grown in 7 years on HRT.

I don't know the answer, but if you want to try conti HRT which is bleed-free that might be right for you.

Rafflesway Tue 31-May-16 13:20:56

Mega thanks Polly - love your hrt posts by the way as you really seem to know your stuff!

I too am a bit loathe to try the conti hrt as I heard a while ago that those which are not bleed free are somewhat safer although not sure how true that is.

I have never heard of the "long cycle" hrt which certainly sounds very interesting and gives me a heads up as to what I can discuss with the GP.

I agree, it is a pain having a monthly bleed which I now absolutely dread as you can imagine. I sometimes feel like the oldest woman alive still buying tampons every month grin.

Rafflesway Tue 31-May-16 13:24:34

Sorry, that should read, "Which ARE bleed free" of course.

The constant pain is now fuddling my brain. confused

PollyPerky Tue 31-May-16 14:25:24

Thanks for the confidence boosting comment- (have just been savaged on another health thread by someone who says I'm evangelical over HRT and another who says I'm a HRT tzar- and not in a nice way!)

Long cycle HRT tends to be the preserve of private consultants because there is a slightly higher risk of hyperplasia, and they can whip you in for a scan quickly, or even do scans as part of health checks every now and then (paid for of course.)

Having said that, there are some women on long cycle who are getting HRT from their GPs but you may have to work hard at persuading yours. Worth asking.

Rafflesway Tue 31-May-16 17:01:28

Cheers again Polly!

Please ignore the "Thread bullies"! Personally, I will admit to not knowing a great deal about the various hrt options as I just took the first one suggested by the GP which I have been very happy with apart from the annoying monthly bleeds but now with the addition of the excruciating pain.

Private wouldn't be a problem - more of a hassle having to find a new gynae consultant as mine of over 20 years has just returned home to HK! sad

Will see what female GP suggests. Just feeling relieved to hear I am not alone with this issue as I must confess to having been a bit anxious to say the least.

PollyPerky Tue 31-May-16 17:11:08

It's a problem isn't it? I know of a few women like you and me (via chats etc) so it's not hugely uncommon. It might be wise to ask for a scan just to see what's going on if your GP will organise that.

It's the one thing at the moment that puts me off HRT but my thinking is that one bad day every 8-10 weeks is worth it for the good days in between.

I did talk to my dr about it and he suggested using Utrogestan almost daily 21 days out of 28- and then having a light bleed, but when I tried it, I got daily spotting and felt very tired.

You are right in that daily progestogens- the synthetic sort - ( as in conti HRT) are seemingly linked to a higher risk of breast cancer, which is why I've never used them - even from the start. It's all pros and cons, isn't it?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now