Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

HRT - cyclo-progynova

(12 Posts)
Parka Sat 14-May-16 20:02:45

Hello all

I've been taking this form of HRT for about 5 years. I'm 49. I tried patches prior to the cyclo-progynova but was allergic to the adhesive so had to stop even though the particular formulation worked very well.

Originally came to this board because I was been wondering at what point you come off HRT and how to make that decision - but from a quick look around I now realise that this form of HRT is quite unusual as it involves a one week break (and during that time I quite quickly get some of the original symptoms that led me to HRT in the first place - esp anxiety, flushes and sleep problems).

So, I'm wondering now both about people's views about when to stop, and about whether there are other types of HRT out there that might be worth switching to so that I avoid the problems I encounter during the week break? Would it be fair to say that if I'm still having those kinds of problems it's probably too early to stop (that's how I'd been thinking about it anyway)?

PollyPerky Sat 14-May-16 21:29:57

Are you in the UK? I've never come across the brand you mention and it's not on this list, or the list for peri meno either HRT for post meno
What are the types of oestrogen and progestogen in it- dose- and how many tablets per cycle?
Are you post meno or still peri?

PollyPerky Sat 14-May-16 21:40:00

You're right! It is a very unusual / unique type of HRT!
Never ever heard of anyone on it. Was it prescribed because you were having an early meno? Info online about it says it's often given if women are still having irregular cycles if in peri. no other type of HRT omits oestrogen for 7 days a month- which is why you're getting symptoms back.

There are loads and loads of other types of HRT. Just a couple of points- you don't have to come off HRT ever - NICE guidelines have changed this. If you do want to stay on it (and average age of meno is 52 so you're not even there yet!) it might be worth thinking about transdermal which is safer- patches or gel- then you add in a progestogen to give a cycle. A lot depends on whether you want to carry on with a cycle or take 2 hormones daily- continuous HRT- so you don't have any bleeds.

What's your thoughts on this?

FrameyMcFrame Sat 14-May-16 22:04:23

Oh my Mum used that for 20 years, I recognised the name straight away.
It certainly helped her! But maybe it's a bit of an old fashioned form of HRT?

Parka Mon 16-May-16 15:21:28

Thanks all. Yes I was peri menopause when I started, but not sure how I'd know what I was after 5 years on? I feel a bit silly tbh - I did think a lot about whether or not to go on HRT but didn't think enough about which types! I got the impression from my GP (female, v supportive) that there was not a lot of choice out there.

In terms of dosage, each cycle involves 10 white pills which are 2mg estradiol and then 11 brown ones which are 500 micrograms norestrol and 2mg estradiol. You then have 7 days off before starting again. I am in the UK.

It does sound as though I should review what I'm taking.

PollyPerky Mon 16-May-16 15:57:45

No other HRT has this ' 7 days with no oestrogen' lark.

whatevva Wed 18-May-16 10:57:21

My MIL was on that in the mid 1980s.

I was on the pill until 49 and the week off was the time I got all my symptoms.

I would read the above links and ask to try something else.

The peri ones give you a bleed (I am on Femeston 2/10 - 2mg estradiol for the full 28 days, with 14 days of a less androgenic progestogen then a bleed after 3 days of finishing it.) This is not necessarily a bad thing.

The post-meno ones are continuous progestogen in a smaller quantity and continuous oestrogen.

Parka Tue 11-Oct-16 22:26:55

Update on this - I switched to Climagest 2mg which seemed to be working well - but when I tried to collect a new order from the chemist was told they had been discontinued. My doctor says this isn't true (being discontinued) but perhaps there has been a delay in production..

Does that sound remotely likely? My GP said she doesn't have many patients on HRT and so doesn't really know in the way should for more common medications (though she said her system would tell her if it really had been discontinued). She did make it clear she wasn't making amy kind of judgement about hrt in saying that.

Feel more than a bit narked. Have gone back to my original prescription - if they really have discontinued Climagest will need to find something else I guess.

Parka Tue 11-Oct-16 22:27:24

Update on this - I switched to Climagest 2mg which seemed to be working well - but when I tried to collect a new order from the chemist was told they had been discontinued. My doctor says this isn't true (being discontinued) but perhaps there has been a delay in production..

Does that sound remotely likely? My GP said she doesn't have many patients on HRT and so doesn't really know in the way should for more common medications (though she said her system would tell her if it really had been discontinued). She did make it clear she wasn't making amy kind of judgement about hrt in saying that.

Feel more than a bit narked. Have gone back to my original prescription - if they really have discontinued Climagest will need to find something else I guess.

PollyPerky Wed 12-Oct-16 15:36:32

You can find all the HRT preps on www.menopausematters.co.uk under the menu system- Treatments/ HRT/ scroll down to the type - which will be peri meno preps. The list should be up to date.

Deux Thu 13-Oct-16 20:27:54

I'd suggest asking at an independent pharmacy if they can get you the Climagest direct from the manufacturer. There may be a supply problem and it's possible the manufacturer will supply to prescription only. Some pharmacies just won't be bothered though.

I've had a similar situation recently but for Estradot patch. I tried a local independent pharmacy first. They looked it up on their wholesaler's system and it showed as being out of stock. Then tried a branch of Boots who said it was out of stock.

I then went to the pharmacy that my GP has her own prescriptions filled. It was out of stock at their wholesaler but they rang Novartis direct. I took a photo of my script and the pharmacy forwarded it to Novartis and I got my patches the next day.

This was in north Surrey. Can pm you pharmacy details if it helps.

Another option is to try one of the online pharmacies.

PollyPerky Fri 14-Oct-16 08:18:14

Parka

Have a look at this link www.menopausematters.co.uk/perimeno.php

There are many types of HRT available and many contain exactly the same formulation as the one you can't get. If you read the ingredients- estradiol and norethisterone in either 1mg or 2mg estrogen doses, you could easily be prescribed one of several that would be identical. Your pharmacist should advise and maybe ask your GP to write another script. Sometimes products do have a production supply issue.

Many women like Femoston which has a slightly different progestogen more like what we have naturally.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now