Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

how do you cope not knowing whether a period is going to arrive ?

(23 Posts)
TheChimpParadox Thu 21-Apr-16 22:50:41

So approaching 50 , two weeks late ( not pregnant ) symptoms everyday for two weeks of about to start - stomach cramps , PMT but nothing. Dreading a sudden heavy flow , constantly have sanitary protection with me - how do you cope with this not knowing and not wearing any light coloured clothing ! smile

OrlandaFuriosa Thu 21-Apr-16 22:58:15

No idea but lurking because I've had this for months now, including the bleeding sensation.. But nada.

crazycatladyonthecorner Fri 22-Apr-16 10:33:49

Sympathies. My periods have been all over the place for a good 6 months. 14- 40 day cycles......
I am at the other end at the moment. Have been bleeding for 5 weeks now and don't know when (or if) it's going to stop. Have an appointment next week so hopefully a solution is in sight.
I'm 51 by the way and definitely peri-menopausal

TheChimpParadox Fri 22-Apr-16 22:43:38

Well no cramps today. I suppose that's something.

PollyPerky Sat 23-Apr-16 08:49:08

Do you normally get sudden heavy flows? If not then you may be worrying unnecessarily. I never ever had that happen - in fact quite the opposite. My periods just fizzled out with less bleeding each month. 'phantom' periods where you have cramps or PMS but no bleeding are really common. I used to wear pads on days when I thought I might bleed just in case. You can also get some great pants called Diary Doll which feel pretty much like normal knickers but are fully waterproof. They aren't meant to be used without a pad but some women find them useful if travelling or stuck in long meetings.

TheChimpParadox Sat 23-Apr-16 16:19:33

I am ( was) pretty regular but a heavy flow and leakage at night.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sat 23-Apr-16 16:24:15

I use a panty liner every day. Cycles can vary from 21 days to 80 plus !!

BlueCowWonders Sat 23-Apr-16 16:40:10

Just about to start exactly this thread.
Feel like I'm in panty-liner limbo

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sat 23-Apr-16 16:42:45

Phantom periods are the worst,all that build up then nothing!!

Eminado Sat 23-Apr-16 16:45:17

"Panty liner limbo"

Eminado Sat 23-Apr-16 16:45:37

grin

Forgot the grin

BlueCowWonders Sat 23-Apr-16 16:49:11

It'll be your age Eminado they made you forget grin...

ouryve Sat 23-Apr-16 16:50:40

I get a tingling in my scalp and hot flushes that rival pregnancy in the day or two before I start. If I development a sudden penchant for cleaning despite the weird head and feeling like I'm stood in front of the oven then I know that I am about to collapse into a clumsy useless heap and need to crawl to the bathroom. That bit usually happens when I'm cooking tea.

Eminado Sat 23-Apr-16 17:12:33

smile Bluecow

soapboxqueen Sat 23-Apr-16 17:17:07

I've got pcos so I've never known when I'm going to get my period. Ranging from 30 days to over a year in between. Also had the fun of having my period for over 6 weeks. That was fun.

I don't know any different but it's never really been a problem either. I don't wear many light coloured trousers though grin

TheChimpParadox Sat 23-Apr-16 20:48:34

Panty liners are my new best friend shock

TheChimpParadox Thu 28-Apr-16 19:46:40

So it turns up 3 weeks late the day I am wearing light coloured trousers ! Had a very close escape !

PollyPerky Thu 28-Apr-16 19:57:21

Light coloured trousers....irregular periods = always wear protection when out smile

TheChimpParadox Thu 28-Apr-16 20:04:24

I had faithful panty liner but stuck in a long meeting and couldn't escape to the loo !

PollyPerky Thu 28-Apr-16 20:22:50

Panty liners don't do the job really if it's a heavy flow.
I find Always normal- orange packet, unscented and quite small- do the job when it's unexpected.

TheChimpParadox Thu 28-Apr-16 20:25:46

Will check them out - thanks.

QueenC Thu 28-Apr-16 20:26:07

Oh my goodness I didn't realise that phantom periods existed. They are exactly what I have been having. The build up-stroppiest, eating everything in sight, bloating, cramps. But no bleeding.

OrlandaFuriosa Thu 28-Apr-16 21:46:01

Phantom periods in the peri menopause...at last I understand. Am eating carbs as if they are the only food...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now