Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

What was your very first menopausal/perimenopausal symptom?

(14 Posts)
TattyDevine Thu 28-Jan-16 19:12:29

As the title suggests, can I ask what your first symptom was, the first thing that made you think the menopause may be upon you or near? And what followed? At what point did you have it confirmed, or did you just know? Very interested. Thanks grin

MumOnTheRunCatchingUp Thu 28-Jan-16 19:14:42

Hot flushes which made me realise periods were now irregular.... Now I've also got dry skin

Twowrongsdontmakearight Thu 28-Jan-16 19:17:12

Suddenly felt s surge of heat that equally suddenly disappeared leaving me clammy. Thought I was ill! (Not had periods for 10 years - Mirena).

TattyDevine Thu 28-Jan-16 20:02:37

So hot flushes usually the first thing so far. No changes in mood? I suppose you wouldn't necessarily equate that until you have a more "menopausy" feel about you as anything can affect mood I suppose (including hormones completely unrelated to menopause)...

SwedishEdith Thu 28-Jan-16 20:07:00

Periods going wonky. Losing track of when they were. I'm always moody but think that has got more, um, intense, sometimes as well. grin

No other obvious symptoms yet - not had anything that I'd describe as a hot flush yet.

MumOnTheRunCatchingUp Thu 28-Jan-16 20:12:49

If anything I'm happier! grin

I ran London marathon last year and flushes disappeared whilst training and only reappeared a year on. Weird

InTheTeapot Thu 28-Jan-16 20:19:08

Night sweats.
Then missed a period or two randomly.
Nothing else for a year or so.
Then missing, light, heavy or flooding periods and a few night sweats
Now months between periods and when I do get one it's very heavy.

MissTeriName Thu 28-Jan-16 20:23:31

General blood test at the docs who told me I was POST menopausal shock
No idea re periods as have had none due to having the Mirena for years. I still can't quite get my head around that verdict.

JapanNextYear Fri 29-Jan-16 10:51:36

Periods going wrong - constant low level bleeding, depression - went to doctors at about 37 and she said the word perimenopause to me - which I had never heard before. I thought everything just carried on till one day your periods stop, you had the menopause then you got crazy. This in between stage was all news to me.

Cue 10 years of all the symptoms! HRT has helped lots.

WhoreGasm Fri 29-Jan-16 12:51:10

Periods suddenly got much lighter and only lasting 3 days. Also cycle shortened from a clockwork 28 days to 24-25 days.

That went on for a few months, then PMS got much worse and lasting for nearly half the month.

PollyPerky Fri 29-Jan-16 13:14:19

Can't really remember! Had some mid cycle spotting for a few months around 47, then nothing for years. Cycles were shorter from about age 51- right down to 17 days once or twice but more often around 25 days. Flow much lighter over 3 days.

FuckyNell Fri 29-Jan-16 13:19:15

I missed a period. Also was stressing over things I never used to. Developed panic attacks. Blood test came back consistent with menopause. I cried grin I was only 38!

MaisyMooMoo Sat 30-Jan-16 00:16:58

A really heavy period lasting two weeks when I've always had a regular as clockwork cycle.

BackforGood Sat 30-Jan-16 00:24:30

Hot flushes, which made me think , and notice that my periods were a lot heavier.
Also put on a lot of weight which has nothing to do with a sedentary job combined with a lot of chocolate eating, oh no

All a bit tricky to know though as I'm on hormone tablets following cancer treatment, so difficult to know what's natural and what's related to that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now