Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

Femoston 2/10mg mid-cycle thick dark brown bleeding

(11 Posts)
menoppy Sun 24-Jan-16 14:55:13

Hi, Yuk alert! Does anyone else get this? I've got it now, no pain or anything but only day 19 of my cycle. Ive had similar before when my "period" was particularly light. My "periods" are a bit hit and miss but I had good bleed last period so wasn't expecting this. Has altering the HRT helped solve this for anyone?

menoppy Sun 24-Jan-16 14:57:11

sorry, day 13!

PollyPerky Sun 24-Jan-16 15:50:25

it's not as simple as that smile

How old are you? peri or post meno? Is Femoston combined continuous or sequential?

PollyPerky Sun 24-Jan-16 16:29:28

Just to add if you are peri it might be your own cycle breaking through if you are sequential HRT.

If you are post meno then combined HRT takes up to 6 months to settle down

menoppy Sun 24-Jan-16 17:12:24

Hi

Well I don't take a break - I take a pill everyday, half are white and the other half are a rusty colour. I'm supposed to have a bleed, so I don't know if that's continuous or sequential? I'm 45 but been peri for years. Some months I don't have a proper bleed at all, just a really really annoying light brown bleed which lasts for about two weeks!

PollyPerky Sun 24-Jan-16 17:49:25

No, no one on HRT has a break.
You have two kinds of tablets in the pack- they will be listed with their names on the packaging and you ought to have had a leaflet with the pack saying what was what.

The first is oestrogen alone , the second is oestrogen with progestogen.

When you stop taking the ones with progestogen, you will have a bleed.

This ought to be regular- it's usually 3 days after you stop the ones with progestogens. If you are bleeding by day 19 this is not right. It could be your own cycle breaking through. How long have you used this HRT?

menoppy Sun 24-Jan-16 18:55:36

about 3 years now. I get irregular bleeding mid cycle in about 35% of cycles.Usually much lighter. This one is, thick, really dark. yuk. I didn't know that your own cycle could break through, no one told me about that. So does that mean I could be blessed with 2 periods a month?

menoppy Sun 24-Jan-16 18:56:37

I usually miss a pill or two by accident every month, or have two together because I've forgotten one, would that make a difference?

PollyPerky Sun 24-Jan-16 19:12:53

I think if this is happening so often you really ought to see your GP to have it checked out.

During peri meno I believe that irregular bleeding is usual (on HRT) due to the fact you will still have high-ish levels of your own hormones, some months. You are also using a high dose (2mgs) so this may have something to do with the bleeding as well- your lining is building up.

BUT if you miss the progestogen pills this could result in bleeding.

This site may help

www.womens-health-concern.org/help-and-advice/factsheets/hrt/

menoppy Sun 24-Jan-16 19:38:56

Thank you polly, I'll make an appt. they need to check my bp anyway. Maybe the dose is too high for me. I assumed a high dose would be better than a low dose. Think I panicked at having such an early peri..

sophster10 Wed 06-Apr-16 11:42:01

Meoppy I'm just noticing your message and this is exactly the reason I have come to this forum...I'm experiencing the same thing. I'm 45 on femeston 2/10 with very dark yucky bleeds ever so often....I'm wondering is it because I don't always take my tablet at the same time and sometimes forget until the next day. Did you get any answers? Many thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now