Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

Could this be the start of Menopause? Help!

(9 Posts)
BlondeOnATreadmill Thu 21-Jan-16 19:54:21

I think I'm too young for Menopause? I'm 46. And only turned 46 in December. Periods have always been regular and always light and normally only last 4 days. But this last one has lasted 6 days already and is heavier than usual and showing no signs of tailing off. I am fit and healthy otherwise. Surely this is too young, isn't it? No idea what to make of this. It's completely not the norm for me.

PollyPerky Fri 22-Jan-16 08:15:59

You are probably in peri menopause- the years leading up to menopause. This can last up to 10 years! During this time your ovaries eventually run out of eggs, but that could be years from where you are now OR it could be as soon as 1-2 years.

The average age of menopause in the UK is 51, but it rarely happens overnight and can be anywhere from 45- 55.

So- all normal!

BlondeOnATreadmill Fri 22-Jan-16 08:52:28

Hmm. Thanks Polly. Perhaps this is the start then. Uugh!!

angemorange Fri 22-Jan-16 09:07:24

If you go to your Dr they can do some blood tests at different times of your cycle to confirm peri menopause or not.

If you have had your family and aren't intending having any more children they can give you a contraceptive Pill to regulate the erratic bleeding better.

I'm 43 and in the same boat - very depressing!!

SauvignonPlonker Fri 22-Jan-16 09:14:57

I'm 43 & heading the same way. Cycles have gradually becoming shorter since my late 30's & early 40's. Now becoming erratic: anything from 15-42 days between cycles. Vaginal dryness blushBut no night sweats or anything else so far.

I did see my GP about the erratic/close cycles & was offered Cerazette contraceptive pill (as I had no periods whilst on it). But I don't really need contraception & I always get thrush on the pill. My thyroid & iron levels were checked but found to be ok.

I think my mum was about 45 when she went through the menopause; apparently there's a link between this & your own menopause (ie around the same time).

PollyPerky Fri 22-Jan-16 09:29:33

Can I update you on this?

The NICE Menopause Guidelines ( published Nov 15) issued advice to GPs. You can read all of this yourself by finding the NICE Menopause Report- google.

1 Women over 45 years not to be given blood tests for meno ( as it's to be expected at that age.)

2 Women between 40-45 to be tested and HRT suggested ( or BCP.)

3 Women under 40 must be tested and treated for premature menopause / ovarian insufficiency.

You will find more about this at www.daisynetwork.org.uk

If you are fully menopausal before 45 then HRT is recommended as treatment to prevent serious diseases later in life.

SauvignonPlonker Fri 22-Jan-16 09:39:30

Thank you Polly - always good to read evidence-based guidelines.

PollyPerky Fri 22-Jan-16 11:16:40

This is the link
www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ng23/chapter/recommendations#diagnosis-of-perimenopause-and-menopause and this is the advice

1.2 Diagnosis of perimenopause and menopause

1.2.1 Diagnose the following without laboratory tests in otherwise healthy women aged over 45 years with menopausal symptoms:

perimenopause based on vasomotor symptoms and irregular periods

menopause in women who have not had a period for at least 12 months and are not using hormonal contraception

menopause based on symptoms in women without a uterus.

1.2.2 Take into account that it can be difficult to diagnose menopause in women who are taking hormonal treatments, for example for the treatment of heavy periods.

1.2.3 Do not use the following laboratory and imaging tests to diagnose perimenopause or menopause in women aged over 45 years:

anti-Müllerian hormone

inhibin A

inhibin B

oestradiol

antral follicle count

ovarian volume.

1.2.4 Do not use a serum follicle-stimulating hormone (FSH) test to diagnose menopause in women using combined oestrogen and progestogen contraception or high-dose progestogen.

1.2.5 Consider using a FSH test to diagnose menopause only:

in women aged 40 to 45 years with menopausal symptoms, including a change in their menstrual cycle

in women aged under 40 years in whom menopause is suspected (see also section 1.6).

LurkonTAthread Sat 23-Jan-16 10:56:02

Mine went crazy heavy at about 43-44 - kept soiling clothes/seats/etc - very embarrassing and quite depressing really. I put up with it for about 18 months as I kept thinking next month might be better.... I went for Mirena coil in the end, and it's been great for me. Having no periods at all after a year, which is such a blessed relief, and covers contraception for us too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now