Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

Utrogestan

(11 Posts)
NK346f2849X127d8bca260 Tue 05-Jan-16 13:17:57

I started this four days ago with Estradot, but am having terrible trouble sleeping since..I have very vivid dreams that wake me up fully several times in the night or feel like I have been on caffeine all day and just can't sleep.
I am also getting incredibly hot and sweaty at night and then feeling cold..a bit like if you have an infection or flu...did not have these symptoms before starting.
I don't think I can face another bad night!
The drowsiness and bloating I got for the first couple of days have improved, do you think the sleeping will?
I am on 100mg for 25 days and am using it vaginally.

Whatevva Tue 05-Jan-16 15:04:00

I would post this on the menopause matters forum - there are a lot of women with experience of using utrogestan on there.

Bluebell66 Tue 05-Jan-16 15:12:52

I was prescribed Utrogestan and felt so dreadful I had to stop taking it. I thought it was supposed to be more tolerable than other forms of progesterone, but it really didn't suit me at all. Hope things improve for you.

NK346f2849X127d8bca260 Tue 05-Jan-16 16:10:43

If I have another bad night I will be very tempted to stop it....do you know if I am likely to get bleeding problems if I just stop using it?

Bluebell66 Tue 05-Jan-16 16:14:31

I didn't have any bleeding problems at all when I stopped it. Good luck.

NK346f2849X127d8bca260 Tue 05-Jan-16 16:23:33

Thank you...can I ask what you changed to? I understand if you don't want to of course.

Bluebell66 Tue 05-Jan-16 16:54:14

Of course, that's fine. I am now on Provera which I take for two weeks every other month. Other than an occasional, very slight PMT feeling, I don't have any problems with it. For my oestrogen I take Elleste Solo, 1mg, daily.

PollyPerky Tue 05-Jan-16 18:58:54

TBH I'd give it a bit longer.

You don't have to use continuous HRT by the way even post meno. You can still opt to have a cycle which means you'd take less Utrogestan - or whatever progestogen you were using.

I use 200mgs x 10 days every 8 weeks. (long cycle.) I find for the first few days of using it I sleep less well and feel hot but as it's so short -term I don't worry too much.

I did try using it for 21 days a month but had a constant headache and constant spotting so gave up.

You may well have a light 'period' when you stop using it- hard to know.
If you give up on it though you will need something else in its place, either continuously or sequentially.

HormonalHeap Wed 06-Jan-16 22:00:48

I'm on usteogestan, have been for 3 months. Makes me drowsy after I take it and puts me through normal stages of sleep. Wake up feeling like I've actually slept! Love it.

belinha73 Mon 23-May-16 14:59:24

Hi, I was prescribed Utrogestan 200mg by my doctor in Brazil... I'm originally Brazilian but live in the UK... Anyway, does anyone know where I can buy it here in England without prescription? My GP here won't prescribe me, even though I've been trying to conceive and had a miscarriage last month! My other question is: if I manage it to buy it online, is there a vaginal cream version? The ones I seem to find online are all capsules, does it mean I have to insert the capsules in my vagina? Many thanks!

PollyPerky Mon 23-May-16 15:53:34

It's prescription only. It's a hormone and can't be obtained except on prescription as it can have serious side effects. If you want to use it for fertility issues, why is your GP not working with you on this?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now