Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

Does HRT make one's hair break/fall out?

(5 Posts)
NotdeadyetBOING Wed 30-Dec-15 08:50:43

My hair has started doing this over the past few months and have just realised (with horror) that the timing coincides with when I started taking HRT. Someone mentioned that it can be a side effect. I had assumed that taking HRT with all its lovely oestrogen would mean the opposite .

Can anyone shed some light? Maybe there are some varieties of HRT that have that side effect and others that don't?

dementedma Wed 30-Dec-15 08:55:55

Am on Prempak here and no problems. Hair was falling out before I took it and has stopped doing it now so opposite here.

NotdeadyetBOING Wed 30-Dec-15 09:33:28

I am on Elleste Duet. Maybe I should switch…. Must get appt with GP in NY.

PollyPerky Wed 30-Dec-15 12:15:21

You are right that HRT should help. It MAY be a coincidence; hair has a life cycle ( a year I think) and any hair loss now might be related to the state of your hair pre HRT, if that makes sense. If you have only been on HRT for a short time then I'd say it was unlikely to be the cause.

However- big but- some types of progestogen can have a side effect of hair loss. Norethisterone (in Elleste) is what they call an androgenic type of progestogen so in theory it could affect you in a 'male' way- ie hairloss (like male pattern baldness.)

If it carries on then perhaps go back and ask to change to something else- I think lots of women like Femoston .

Whatevva Wed 30-Dec-15 15:31:24

I would try Femeston instead. Low iron may also contribute to hair loss.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now