Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

Mireena coil

(22 Posts)
GillynMilly Thu 29-Oct-15 20:23:04

I'm guessing this has been discussed time and again,but I can't find anything good about it so thought was worth putting it out there again?! Has anyone out there had a GOOD experience of the coil??! I'm having peri menopausal problems,haemorrhaged and ended up on norestherone,I have to come off them and have been told by gynaecologist and doc that the coil is the best way to go 'it works perfectly for 80 per cent of women' I can't find one of those 80 per cent. Any experiences much appreciated

Whatevva Fri 30-Oct-15 10:37:20

You will probably find it better than the norithisterone. It puts less progestin in your system, and puts it where it is needed.

It depends on your starting point really. A lot of people who have it for contraception are sold the idea that it will stop periods altogether which if you look at the figures on the Mirena website is not true for most people, although it will reduce bleeding in a lot more. It also needs about 6 months to settle.
Some will people bleed more on all these long lasting progestin contraceptives (like implant and injection). They are also starting from the point of having normal periods, so it is not an improvement for them.

There are a lot of people around who have it for perimenopause and are really happy with it. I think it is something you just have to try and see if it suits you.

It is a really low dose of progestin compared to contraceptives and hrt and you only need to use patches or gel for oestrogen later on, so there are lots of advantages over the alternatives.

GillynMilly Fri 30-Oct-15 17:20:01

Thanx for your post. It's the bleeding thing that's scareing me! I don't want to ever bleed again after the haemorrhaging,the norestherone has stopped me completely but I'm aware of other side effects starting to kick in and know it's not good to stay on it long term. The thought of having problems for 6 months while waiting to see if the coil was gonna settle and work for me is what is putting me off having it! But also think should give it a go as won't know if don't try! I'm no good at decisions at the best of times! Am now seeing an 'alternative' therapist so will see how goes along. Would still appreciate any one else's thoughts

80sWaistcoat Fri 30-Oct-15 17:24:37

My sister has one for menopause and birth control. She likes it - stopped her flooding and doesn't aggravate her migraines.

80sWaistcoat Fri 30-Oct-15 17:25:15

Anecdote I know, but I suppose people who are happy with it don't tend to go online to talk about it.

swisscheesetony Fri 30-Oct-15 17:28:01

I tried the norithistherone and I did bugger all.

Next option was mirena, I found it hideously painful for insertion (haven't been through labour) so I was given a local.

Bled almost constantly for a month or more and was thinking I was one of the unlucky ones when suddenly it all stopped. It's been in almost a year now and I can't remember the last time I bled - I forget it's there aside once in a while I remember how bloody awful my periods were (filling a mooncup in 10 mins, clots like walnuts).

GillynMilly Fri 30-Oct-15 21:48:31

Thanx both,yes agree in likely to hear good things,just thought worth putting out there to give it a chance! Just shows tho that there are at least a couple of the '80 per cent' that it has worked for and as swisscheese you say,the norestherone didn't work for you but does for me,goes to show how things can all work differently for each of us. I'm feeling more like at least giving it some more thought now at least and not just saying no! Am going to come of the norestherone and see what happens

iNeverFinishAnyth Fri 30-Oct-15 21:55:10

I had a Mirena coil fitted just over a year ago having had flooding etc, I now have what I guess is a normal flow as opposed to what I had before. A few weeks of mild cramps etc then it settled. I had it fitted after a hysteroscopy so it was relatively painless, although I had a local anaesthetic.
In comparison to how I was before, I am glad I have it.

Good luck whatever you decide.

80sWaistcoat Fri 30-Oct-15 23:23:08

Noristherone turned me into a complete cow. So yep, whatever works for you!

DramaAlpaca Fri 30-Oct-15 23:41:13

My experience with the Mirena is very positive. I can honestly say that it changed my life for the better. I'd been having awful problems with my periods, which got really heavy & unpredictable in my mid-forties.

I had the Mirena put in under a GA because they did a hysteroscopy & D&C at the same time, so had no problems with insertion. I had a bit of cramping for about three weeks after insertion and I still had periods for a few months afterwards. Once it settled down it was great. For the first couple of years I had a very light bleed every six months or so, but for the past couple of years I've had none at all. I've been lucky to have had absolutely no side effects from it.

It's been in for five years now, and because I had it put in when I was 46 it can stay there another two years according to my GP so it should see me through the menopause.

Nandocushion Fri 30-Oct-15 23:53:27

I love mine too (on #3 now) and it stops my heavy periods entirely and, afaik, the settle down period is more like 3 months. It is actually hugely popular and effective, but unfortunately online you get the few unsuccessful stories rather than the scores and scores of success stories.

WhiteHairReally Sat 31-Oct-15 03:54:03

My experience is similar to Nandocushion's. Now on my 5th which should see me through the m'pause too, although recently I've been bleeding for three weeks at a time, which is not 'what it said on the box' so that's being investigated. Good luck with whatever you decide OP.

Bellaciao Sat 31-Oct-15 10:05:05

GillynMilly - you mentioned an alternative therapist - and I was wondering what you are hoping for from this therapist and really just to say alternative therapies will do nothing to control peri-menopausal heavy bleeding?

Squeegle Sat 31-Oct-15 10:10:23

The mirena coil has literally changed my life! Age 48 I suddenly started getting outrageous flooding - made my life so difficult. Mirena has stopped all that, no hassle at all now. Worth a try I'd say!

GillynMilly Sat 31-Oct-15 10:31:17

Thanx all! I'm glad that those of you with good results have bothered to post. The internet does produce all the bad stuff,but can produce good too! Bellaciao, the alternative idea is based on treating the whole body to help itself,I'm not expecting it to stop all the problems,but our bodies go through this stage of life,but go haywire if something else wrong further down the line,I.e yes periods will get heavier etc but you shouldn't be haemorrhaging and at risk of bleeding to death! As am suffering side effects of the norestherone and want to come off them,thought worth seeing if alternatives will help too,don't have consultant appointment r.e coil till January. I might not haemorrhage again anyway and I might not because of the alternative stuff and if I do I shall go back on the norestherone! Imo you use whatever you can to help and be able to function,we can't just give up and stay at home to be close to the loo nowadays can we! Although find the whole idea of the coil quite scared,feel a little better now thanx to hearing some good things!

Squeegle Sat 31-Oct-15 10:35:59

Gillyn, I was quite anti the idea of it too, but I decided to give it a try, it was inserted with no fuss, (slightly uncomfortable on insertion only), and then immediately the problems with periods stopped. A bit of spotting for quite a while - at least 6 months, but compared to what I had been having, that was a breeze. The good thing is that they can always take it out again if you're not happy so no real risk. Can you tell I am quite in favour? I wish I hadn't put off getting it for so long in the first place.

loraflora Fri 13-Nov-15 13:06:39

I had a reasonably good experience of mirena up until recently. I've had it for just over 3 years. I was fitted it after having heavy clotty periods in perimenopause and a lot of pain with it, and they'd happen about every 3 weeks. Mirena solved that issue and it's been lovely not having periods. I did gain weight on it but I also had a history of being a yoyo dieter so that may have happened anyway - that said, at the start I noticed an increase in appetite. I also felt a drop in libido. But the periods were really causing me so much hassle at that point it was still a relief.

On to the 'up until recently' part - it's gone missing and as the doctor couldn't see the strings either, I will now need to have a scan to find it.

loraflora Fri 13-Nov-15 13:08:22

Forgot to add that if they offer to put one in again, I wouldn't have it because I'd have concerns it would go AWOL again.

Cabbagesandcustard Fri 13-Nov-15 13:22:27

I have one, fitted three years ago after I became anaemic with unmanageably heavy, clotty periods.
I bled / spotted pretty much daily for six months and was at the end of my tether. I had tummy ache and a lot of joint pain too. Resolved to have it taken out as soon at the summer holidays were over and the kids back to school, but during that August, the bleeding stopped and it's been like magic ever since.
The only negative side effect that I now attribute to it is the black hair which has sprouted on my chin, neck, top lip and upper back which is not so good. But it might just be my age / naturally changing hormones (am 42).

mazlet1210 Tue 08-Dec-15 05:28:32

Has anybody experienced a loss of libido since having the coil fitted? Ive had mine about 3 years and my libido has just died! It's really affecting my relationship now so I'm considering having it removed. I would really like to hear from anybody else that has experienced the same.

Whatevva Wed 09-Dec-15 16:35:59

Do you have it for contraception, or hrt?

It might be worth adding some oestrogen gel/patch. New Guidelines suggest testosterone too.
www.nice.org.uk/guidance/NG23

LonnyVonnyWilsonFrickett Wed 09-Dec-15 16:40:33

I have one and overall I would say it's positive.

- I didn't like having it put in (nor having it taken out) but I think that's due to my bad birth experience - I'm just not good with 'down there stuff' now
- periods have practically disappeared
- did put on weight the first time, but not with my second
- libido - yes, it's waned but I'm not sure that can be put down to the coil.

I suspect I'm now peri-menopausal (DM and DGM both had very early menopause, my skin's gone weird, mood swings and suddenly I'm holding onto weight) but there's no real way of knowing without bloods being taken.

On balance, I like it. Nothing's perfect when it comes to this part of life though, you know?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now