Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

Not sleeping well, don't feel safe to drive - how am I going to get through this?

(7 Posts)
Euphemia Sat 12-Sep-15 12:23:29

Hot flushes started in January. Went on HRT in March. By July it was causing me 2-3 migraines a day. Came off again - doc said too risky owing to link between migraine and stroke.

Hot flushes are now back. I haven't slept through the night for a fortnight and I'm cross-eyed with tiredness by the end of the day. I work 40 minutes away and some nights I'm not sure I'm safe to drive.

I started taking Menopace a week ago and I hope it works! I'm only 49 and so depressed by threads on here that suggest this could go on for decades!

I just want to give up work and be on holiday all the time. sad

pinkfrocks Sat 12-Sep-15 12:50:49

What type of HRT were you on? Sequential or combined? Some women find that combined- taking progestogens daily - cause headaches. I wasn't able to use natural bio-identical progesterone for that reason and still use sequential, even though at my age and stage of meno most women are on combined.

Your dr ought to have offered you a different type of HRT.

If you were on pills, then change to patches or oestrogen gel.
Migraine is not a reason to avoid/ stop HRT (again, not my 'opinion' but medical advice.) It's a case of finding the right sort that suits you. Also, transdermal HRT ( patches and gel) is not linked to any increase in blood clots.

Go back to your GP, or see if there is a meno clinic at your local hospital. if your GP is useless, would you consider seeing a consultant for 1 appt then they would refer you back to your GP with advice on the prescription?

Euphemia Sat 12-Sep-15 12:56:43

I was on Evorel Sequi patches.

Euphemia Sat 12-Sep-15 12:57:40

At the moment, I'd do anything, pay anything to have this stop!

Euphemia Sat 12-Sep-15 13:02:12

I see there is a Menopause clinic at my nearest hospital - strictly by referral only. I'll see my GP and see if I can get referred - can't go on like this!

I've seen a couple of GPs who seem to think my age is a barrier to needing help ie I'm too young. hmm Fuck that - I'm suffering here!

pinkfrocks Sat 12-Sep-15 13:59:24

A couple of thoughts- you might find this by the British Menopause Society reassuring...
www.thebms.org.uk/conference2010.php

It's a few years ago but about halfway down the page there is a paragraph o HRT and migraine. The dr recommends reduction of dose if it's migraine with aura or another route. YOu might find the oestrogen gel works well for you- which it does for me- because you can titrate the dose from 0.75mgs (one pump) to 4 pumps and anything in between. This means you can easily find the right dose to control symptoms - just use for a couple of weeks then decrease or increase.

Presumably, the headaches are daily- and not linked to just the oestrogen or the progestogen phase? The patch you were on uses norethisterone which is a bit of a bugger for some people - it's very effective but can cause more side effects than some others. Other patches like Femoston have a different type.

Definitely don't just put up with your symptoms.

I used to get migraines and find I have practically none on HRT as my hormones are obviously more stable than with normal pre-meno fluctuations.

Euphemia Sat 12-Sep-15 21:15:48

Thanks - that's useful x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now