Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

hrt and weight

(4 Posts)
jaxjaxjax Tue 08-Sep-15 14:11:06

I hate to seem vain, but having struggled like mad to lose weight, I am worried that going on hrt will slow down/stop my loss. However, the perimenopausal symptoms (esp hot flushes, erratic moods and trouble sleeping) and making life very difficult. Any advice?

pinkfrocks Tue 08-Sep-15 15:58:56

There is no evidence that HRT causes weight gain. Some people may feel bloated on certain types of progestogen and too much oestrogen can make boobs grow a bit, but all of this is manageable with different types of HRT.
In mid-life we all need to recduce food intake a little as our metabolism slows down, but at the same time increase exercise to maintain muscle mass.
Been on HRT for over 5 years and am same weight as in my 20s (BMI 19.)

fairbalance Wed 09-Sep-15 16:46:31

I have lost 2 stone on HRT as I feel so much better on it smile

DrivingMissLazy1 Tue 15-Sep-15 21:01:37

I put on half a stone within the first couple of weeks when I started on hrt and I've struggled to lose it. I initially bloated up and felt like a barrel but that eased up after a few weeks.
I've tried 3 types of hrt. My weight didn't change on the first 2 but they affected me in other ways (depression/moods). I'm finally happy with my 3rd type so I've accepted the weight gain, it's a small price to pay for feeling back to "normal" smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now