Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

How do I know when I've reached menopause?

(6 Posts)
cherokeee Thu 11-Jun-15 13:14:11

Sorry -- I know this question has been asked many times but I haven't found the answer....
I'm 52. Periods now irregular. Had one in mid-April (normal) after not having had one in a few months Just had a bit of "spotting" last week (almost imperceptible) -- does that count as a "period"?
Don't really have other symptoms, thankfully -- ie no hot flushes, no sleep problems (other than when disturbed by children, etc) no unusual mood swings, etc...
How will I know when I've reached menopause? I know it's technically 12 months after "last period" -- but does something like very light spotting count?

pinkfrocks Thu 11-Jun-15 13:37:01

Yes light spotting counts.

The other symptoms may well kick in once your hormones have really fallen and after you stop having any bleeding at all. some women only start flushes etc once their periods are well and truly over. My symptoms didn't start until I was almost 54.

If you are not up to date though with smears etc then you should make sure you are as light spotting 12 months after a period needs checking out.

SunnyBaudelaire Thu 11-Jun-15 13:40:15

not everyone has identifiable symptoms of menopause though.
My 'hot flushes' lasted less than six months and were about 30 seconds of feeling a bit hotter a couple of times a day.
Never had sleep problems, always been a bad tempered old bat.

pinkfrocks Thu 11-Jun-15 16:49:55

you were very lucky! Mine were hourly, plus insomnia and my mum had them till her 80s.

Kontiky Thu 11-Jun-15 20:02:06

My Mum never had a single hot flush despite a surgical menopause at only 42.

cherokeee Mon 15-Jun-15 23:08:25

thank you for your comments
always helpful to know about others' experiences!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now