Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

Thoughts on having my Mirena coil removed.

(33 Posts)
RudyMentary Sat 04-Apr-15 22:36:54

I'm nearly 52 and have used the Mirena coil for 14 years - no period during this time.
I had a blood test a year ago which showed I was into the menopause. Another test a year on shows I'm menopausal.
Has anyone experience of this please? I would like to have it removed but worried about excessive bleeding/flooding.

Thanks

Wotsup Sun 05-Apr-15 05:49:06

Will watch with interest.

chancer2014 Sun 05-Apr-15 06:03:47

Are you on or thinking about HRT? The Mirena coil provides progesterone though I think that only lasts 5 years. I'd see your GP for advice

optimistmum Sun 05-Apr-15 06:08:03

I am also in the same situation as you so am watching with interest too.

pinkfrocks Sun 05-Apr-15 10:45:37

A couple of things- are you having any meno symptoms? If not then it may be you are one of the lucky ones who won't. On the other hand some women experience symptoms later in their 50s once their oestrogen levels have really dropped. At 52 you may not be through meno- still in peri.

No one can say if you will have heavy bleeding. It's not the same for everyone. the only way to find out is try and see.
if you want HRT then you will already have the progesterone part with the coil.

RudyMentary Sun 05-Apr-15 20:02:38

Thanks.

I'm not on or considering HRT. I do have night sweats and occasional palpitations.

This Mirena has been in about 7 years now. My GP says it's ok to leave it for a while longer. I'm keen to get rid of it but flooding or excessive bleeding would be a pain and tricky with my job as I'm away from toilet facilities for hours at a time.

pinkfrocks Sun 05-Apr-15 22:12:14

Bit surprised he still thinks it's ok after 7 years: the life of a Mirena is 4 yrs as a contraceptive and 4 as part of HRT.

Wotsup Sun 05-Apr-15 22:39:26

I thought it was 5 as HRT? That's what I was told???

pinkfrocks Sun 05-Apr-15 22:55:18

maybe it is then- it's either 4 or 5 for one of those.

But getting on for 8 seems rather a lot.

Wotsup Sun 05-Apr-15 23:01:27

It does pinkfrocks yes.

Husbanddoestheironing Sun 05-Apr-15 23:05:08

I think the guidelines say if you are over 45 when it is fitted you can just have it left in, but before 45 it needs to be replaced every 5 years for contraceptive purposes. I have no idea how it work in terms of what happens if you do get it removed after menopause though- will watch thread with interest....

RudyMentary Sun 05-Apr-15 23:29:03

My blood test levels showed it's not necessary for contraceptive purposes. I'm just concerned about excessive random bleeds.

In the UK it's recommended the Mirena is replaced after 5 years but elsewhere it's licensed for 7 years (so my GP told me)

Husbanddoestheironing Sun 05-Apr-15 23:44:17

Just looked and NHS choices just says if you are over 45 you can have it left until after the menopause, but absolutely nothing about what happens in terms of bleeding if removed afterwards, so not much help. I suppose theoretically there shouldn't be any lining left to bleed after the menopause has occurred?? But I guess it is often not that straightforward is it? Hope someone has some more useful info. for you.

DramaAlpaca Sun 05-Apr-15 23:51:27

My GP (I'm not in the UK) says it's OK to leave it in for seven years if you have it in when you are over 45. I got mine at 46, it's been there almost five years, and I'm hoping it'll see me through the menopause.

So I'm watching this thread with interest, too.

pinkfrocks Mon 06-Apr-15 09:04:45

There really is no way of knowing unless you have a crystal ball!

The Mirena stops bleeding because it's coated with a progestogen, which is slowly released. After 5 years this will all have gone and what is left (I assume) is a coil, the same as a copper coil in effect, which will act as a contraceptive, but not as part of HRT or to help control bleeding.

That's the first bit!

The next is that you can't be sure you are through the menopause by 1 or even 2 blood tests. I had a blood test at around 51-52 which supposedly showed I was post meno- in fact I went on having periods for another 2 years.

And finally (!) not everyone's periods become heavy in peri meno. Mine just petered out with less bleeding and fewer days bleeding each cycle.

So- you really can't tell. If you were to leave it till you were 54/55 then it's likely you'd not have another period, but at 52 I'd not be so sure!

pinkfrocks Mon 06-Apr-15 09:09:47

Rudy I think you need to get your dr to explain more clearly what they mean by you are menopausal.
This means no more periods ever- in other words you would be post menopause.

But as I said, take those readings with a large pinch of salt.

The other thing is - do you have any meno symptoms or have you ever?
51 is quite young to 'come out the other side' ( average age is 51-52 for final period but many women find their flushes etc only start when periods stop.) and can carry on for 10-15 years.

GuiltyAsAGirlCanBe Mon 06-Apr-15 09:10:43

You can leave the Mirena in and then take some form of oestrogen hrt. This will then act as a combined hrt.

Nearly every female dr I know does this. It will lessen the symptoms of the menopause.

Nonotthatagain Mon 06-Apr-15 09:16:14

I'm 54 & had my mirena coil out 2 weeks ago after 3 years ( had it because of heavy bleeding) first 2 days I had a bit of spotting but then I've had heavy bleeding (but not as heavy as before) which seems to have stopped now I'm glad to say. My blood tests 18 months ago suggested I am menopausal. I think from what I've read that most women experience some heavy bleeding after coil removal.

pinkfrocks Mon 06-Apr-15 09:51:44

women will only have bleeding after removal of the Mirena if they are still producing enough oestrogen to make the lining grow. In other words they are not yet post menopause.

BestIsWest Mon 06-Apr-15 10:04:43

Switching with interest, also 52(next week) with a 6 year old Mirena.

BestIsWest Mon 06-Apr-15 10:05:24

*Watching

3catsandcounting Mon 06-Apr-15 16:16:32

Also watching with interest, as I'm 52 with a 6 year-old Mirena.

pinkfrocks Mon 06-Apr-15 18:41:05

There is no answer. Even if the OP finds she doesn't have heavy periods it isn't a sign that no one will- and vice versa.

Wotsup Mon 06-Apr-15 19:36:06

LOL Seems more watchers than bleeders here! grin

3catsandcounting Mon 06-Apr-15 20:37:43

I think what I'm saying (and maybe a lot of us on here?) is it's hard not knowing what 'stage' you're at menopause-wise, when our friend Mirena is in residence?! ��

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now