Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

Menopause and lower back pain

(13 Posts)
voluptuagoodshag Tue 27-Jan-15 16:41:52

Anyone experienced this or had the connection medically confirmed?

I've recently had my bloods done and they confirmed I'm going through the menopause. At the same time I was referred to the physio for lower back pain. I didn't think the two were connected but after googling this it would seem not unreasonable to assume the two are linked. Symptoms started around the same time and so far the physio isn't having great results. I'm generally fit, healthy, exercise, don't smoke, hardly drink and am extremely flexible but I'm fed up feeling like shit despite doing everything possible not to be

pinkfrocks Tue 27-Jan-15 17:20:46

Sorry sad

There are 2 possibilities- well one really! Joint pain is typical during meno due to loss of oestrogen. Back pain the same- often due to loss of collagen between the discs - down to loss of oestrogen.
Have you had X-rays to see what is going on?

If you have other symptoms that are making life miserable then HRT would prob sort it all out.

voluptuagoodshag Tue 27-Jan-15 17:40:43

Not had X-rays yet but just have a feeling that it's more than just a sore back so will suggest this on next visit to physio. Thanks for replying

BrighterLight Tue 27-Jan-15 18:12:42

Hi - I have recently found out I am in menopause - periods have stopped very recently and when they did I experienced hip/back pain, so your post interested me.

I had the pain and an odd period, the only reason I went to the GP was really the hip/back pain, it almost felt like period pain cramps, but not how I had ever had them before. I was advised it was just a muscle.

Since then the blood tests revealed high FSH and the pain is intermittant now and periods have now stopped for now. The pain is more of an ache, tightness and general stiffness and I really think and hope that it is ligaments and nothing more.

Does yours come and go? The other connection that I think I have made is that it comes along when I think my period would have - do you think the body is confused somehow? ha

Anyway, gentle stretching has seemed to help but it still feels weird and tight - I also think it's connected and all part of the body readjusting. Keep moving if you can.

voluptuagoodshag Tue 27-Jan-15 18:59:48

It's odd. My pain is generally down my right side eminating from what seems like my inner hip and travelling down my leg and up my back. It feels like a great big stretch would sort it out but it only aggravates it. If I don't do much it seems to improve but always comes back. The physio has me doing back extensions every two hours. Though very flexible in most directions I seem to be very stiff bending backwards.
I get shooting pains with slight movements (bending to do the hoovering is particularly bad). It's hard to measure on a par with periods as they come and go and Id say the pain is always there to a greater or lesser degree

BrighterLight Tue 27-Jan-15 19:30:41

It is curious for sure - I have a similar tightness feeling that needs stretching, but it won't! I definately think its menopause related.

On a positive note, I just spoke to an older friend who had very bad hip pain during menopause and it went away - I am holding onto that thought smile

voluptuagoodshag Tue 27-Jan-15 19:39:28

Do you do lots of exercise/activity?

My Mum has had two hip ops and now can barely walk. I don't think she did herself any favours by not keeping moving more so I'm terrified that I end up in a similar state. I do lots of walking, a little running and cycle in fair weather, have always done stretching.

I don't have joint pain anywhere else though.

BrighterLight Tue 27-Jan-15 20:16:04

The truth is - the last two years I have not done nearly enough excercise. I have been having a night mare time and just coping with every day has been hard - totally out of sync with myself. Now I now my hormones are at play it makes sense, perhaps I can get myself out of feeling stuck.

I do know that I now need to make activity a goal, I agree with you it's important. I've always stretched like you, gardening, decorating and generally active but no formal excercise.

I also don't have any pains elsewhere.

SisterNancySinatra Tue 27-Jan-15 20:21:12

I have definitely experienced menopausal back pain , it's like a rheumatism bug that comes and goes . I know it's menopausal symptoms because sometimes it makes me feel so tired and crotchety that I seriously feel like weeping and then all of a sudden disappears without any reason .

voluptuagoodshag Wed 04-Feb-15 13:50:41

Resurrecting this thread. Today I got my HRT tablets - Elleste Duet 2mg. Fingers crossed I'll be out doing back flips across the yard by the weekend smile

Shall carry on with my list of exercises the Physio has prescribed also.

voluptuagoodshag Sun 31-May-15 11:02:48

Resurrecting this thread again. Been on HRT for 4 months now. Thought the peaks and troughs were improving to gentle undulating but having felt ok for a short while and less back pain (I wasn't doing any exercise), wham! major wobbly, massive period and the pain is backwash a vengeance.
Feeling I should go to doc again but what should I say to them. After weeks of physio (where I was given different exercises every week cause nothing was working), no improvement on hip/backpain.

thehousewife Fri 10-Jul-15 22:02:07

Have you got this sorted?? Definitely check it out. Have you had an MRI? Without scaring you to death. I had exactly the same pain, started in my bum/hip like I needed to stretch it all the time and it went down my leg. I turned out I had a mass in a lymph node near my sciatic nerve, the pressing on it caused the pain. It turned out to be cancer,so please please get it checked. I was fobbed off saying there is no way this would be cancer (I've had it before too) but I was right!!

voluptuagoodshag Wed 22-Jul-15 14:00:56

Hi, I had an x Ray which was negative. Then went to osteopath who diagnosed piriformis syndrome. This is a muscle which sits behind the glutes and is right next to the sciatic nerve. If it is twitchy then it displays all sorts of other symptoms related to other conditions. She has been working with me and there was great improvement at first though I still have it to a lesser extent along with the occasional blip. I do have an eerie to do which does seem to help. Have a feeling I'm going to have it for a while if not the rest of my life

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now