Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

Bleeding (like a proper period) 18 months after menopause

(7 Posts)
SDhopeful Sun 01-Sep-13 17:46:04

Hi - bit worried. I think I went through the menopause two years ago (rampant hot flushes etc) and I think my last 'real' period was about 28 months ago. Very occasional jot flushes up till about 6 months ago, but made redundant in April, work stress stopped, and no more hot flushes since...
In the Spring (May/June) had some slight bleeding after sex (normal 'married' sex grin nothing wild). Saw GP - referred to hospital, had a scan - doc said she could see one ovary, looked okay, couldn't see the other (which she said was good - no sinister).
Then last week on hols (sod's law - short break, hand luggage only, white trousers...) had almost a proper period - lasted 5 days.. (DH not with me, no sex).
Am now very scared, will obv see GP again now I am back, but since I have already been looked at, presume they will do nothing?
Any advice gratefully received.

Roshbegosh Sun 01-Sep-13 17:52:39

You will probably be referred for a scan to make sure all is well and maybe blood test to be sure you are in fact menopausal. You may have a polyp or something else in the womb lining but it just needs checking out.

SDhopeful Sun 01-Sep-13 17:56:39

Rosh, thanks you for you swift and helpful response!

missbopeep Mon 02-Sep-13 08:38:14

How old are you? If you are under 50 then it's quite possible you are not post meno yet.

The lack of hot flushes could also mean your hormones have surged again- it can happen!

You can still have anovular cycles into early meno when there is some ovarian activity but not enough for a bleed to occur.

BUT you must see GP who will arrange a scan etc.

SDhopeful Mon 02-Sep-13 09:17:01

MissBopeep, thanks, I am now wondering if perhaps am not yet thru the menopause - apart from the hot flushes ( which occurred in a stressful job, stopped when I was made redundant) and lack of periods, have had no other symptoms, and skin etc seems still soft, no probs with lubrication or hair thinning etc.

missbopeep Mon 02-Sep-13 09:23:59

How old are you?

The other problems you mention don't affect everyone and don't always start straight away- they can happen several years after the last period.

The classic response is- 12 months with no period = menopause. But everyone is different. I've know women who have had a 2 year gap then had a few more. But you do need checking out. You'll have a vaginal ultrasound scan and if they aren't happy with that then a look inside the uterus with a small camera.

SDhopeful Mon 02-Sep-13 13:58:44

thanks I am 52, so yes indeed...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now