Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

period late, sudden weight gain, not pregnant...?

(5 Posts)
babymooner Thu 29-Aug-13 08:29:36

Hello! Hope someone can help... Am very confused - am week late on period (usually like clockwork), have gained 4 pounds in the last week or so, all around my stomach, feel emotional... but have tested and am not pregnant. So could this be start of menopause? I'm 42, had copper coil fitted after miscarriage in Jan (a surprise after I came off Mirena coil and was deliberating what to do next...), and peed on stick yesterday morning so I'm pretty sure it's not pregnancy. Any ideas??

scaevola Fri 30-Aug-13 02:57:09

I suppose it could be.

It's possible that it'll prove to be a one-off weird cycle, or it might be the end of the clockwork timing as you generally become more irregular. You can get changes in cycle years before full-on menopausal changes.

babymooner Fri 30-Aug-13 10:55:22

Thank you smile

Am freaking out a bit as I've put on 5lbs in the past ten days, trousers won't do up and I'm feeling dizzy, cramping, starving but not interested in food etc... basically I feel pregnant. Which would be fairly terrifying as already have three young children. But combination of coil and negative tests suggest otherwise.

Will go to docs next week if AF still hasn't arrived... And maybe pee on another stick tomorrow...

Weelady77 Fri 30-Aug-13 17:50:42

Could be your thyroid go get it checked

babymooner Sat 31-Aug-13 09:23:07

I hope so, scaevola!
Weelady77, I've had autoimmunehypothyroiditus since I was three, so get levels checked every year. Got them tested a couple of months ago and they're fine...
Getting worried - still no period (9 days now), still negative pregnancy tests, and gaining a pound a day (have digital scales and weigh myself before bed). All around the stomach, nowhere else. Have literally put on 6 pounds in the last week. And my weight is usually totally constant, has been the same for months, with maybe a pound extra pre period.
Saw doc on Friday and she's going to send me for scan and bloods next week if still no period/positive pregnancy test.
Just cannot fathom this. Must be water weight, but clothes aren't tight anywhere except stomach (which is huge and distended. that's usually my first pregnancy sign - stomach looks about 5 months pregnant when I'm more like 5 weeks hmm)
Hopefully just very long cycle. But am still freaking out sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now