Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

Anyone else had these symptoms

(3 Posts)
mrsmobbs Mon 26-Aug-13 12:29:29

Hi have been menopausal for years now with really horrendous hot flushes. Last week there was a day when the flushes were non stop, I mean one after the other, the next day I got period like pains, but no period, have not had one for years as still have mirena fitted, doc said to leave it until 55, I am 54 now, since then flushes seem to have nearly gone, but I still have pains along with feeling sick and strangely now feel a bit cold instead, wondered if this was a sign that menopause was near end.

binger Mon 26-Aug-13 12:52:14

Hi I'm 43 and on hrt. I still had periods but sometimes 3 months apart. Because I was having constant hot flushes my bloods were tested and it was confirmed I was we'll into menopause. I would always feel cold and lethargic (when not having flushes of course) and regularly had a queasy feeling but I ave acid reflux so don't know I it was just that.

Go to gp and get it confirmed either way. I still don't sleep great but feel much better in myself. Get your bloods tested and take it from there.

missbopeep Mon 26-Aug-13 15:37:32

The 'menopause' never endssmile menopause is the state your body is in forever , until you die, after your final period. The peri menopause is the stage when your fertility declines until you have a final period.

From what you describe it sounds as if you had a hormonal 'blip' when you oestrogen levels rose, and without the coil you might have had a period. These 'phantom' periods ( pains and PMT with no bleeding) are common during peri menopause. It would also explain why you had some relief from the flushes when your oestrogen levels rose a little.

TBH no one knows how long their symptoms will last after a final period. My mum still has hot flushes in her 80s and my gynae says some women never get rid of them- a friend of a friend has gone back onto HRT in her 70s as she was unable to stand her flushes and poor sleep. The idea that it'll all be over by 55 is a nonsense for most women except a minority.
So- no real answer but you'll have to wait and see!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now