Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

HRT Good Experience Stories

(10 Posts)
Gerijrich Tue 20-Aug-13 19:48:19

I have just started HRT and I have been on it for 3 weeks now. Although flashes aren't so intense they are still there as well as the mood swings. I would like to hear from anyone who has a positive experience of HRT Geri

mkmjimmy Tue 20-Aug-13 22:24:35

Hi

I started HRT (premarin) about a year ago - after my one and only flooding experience and about a year of night sweats and horrible mood springs. The night sweats stopped almost immediately (still get the odd one but used to be almost every night) and the moods have really stabilized and I don't have that fuzzy forgetful feeling half as much. I wouldn't come off it now. I really think it saved my marriage!

missbopeep Wed 21-Aug-13 16:21:42

Are you in the US? Just asking as you talk about 'flashes' - in Uk we say 'flushes' and Premarin is not generally prescribed here. ( apologies to poster above!)
Premarin was the HRT used in the WH studies and may be partly responsible for the bad side effects suffered ( along with the age of the women). In the UK many drs now prescribe bio identical oestrogen, not that from mares urine as in Premarin.

mkmjimmy Wed 21-Aug-13 20:54:44

Yes, mis type - Prempak not premarin.

missbopeep Wed 21-Aug-13 21:42:49

Prempak is still made from conjugated equine oestrogens.

Would you feel able to talk to your GP about this? They are not the safest form of HRT by a long way.

Gerijrich Fri 30-Aug-13 10:52:40

hi I have been on hrt for a month and just thinking I will be back to normal and then I have my period planned and I had a grotty day yesterday - does that mean HRT is not working now.. any thoughts would be good. Geri

Hassled Fri 30-Aug-13 10:58:30

I've had a very positive experience with it - regular, usually manageable periods on the whole now (although I did have a blip last month) and a massive improvement in mood swings.

I think you should give it a couple of months (3 weeks probably isn't long enough) and if it's still not helping go back to the GP to try another combination.

Gerijrich Fri 30-Aug-13 14:43:42

thank you - did you Gerisuffer any thing like panic though as this is what I am struggling with,

Gerijrich Fri 30-Aug-13 18:47:25

just had the monthly withdrawal bleed - I have had a horrid two days. pharmacy said it could just be the low you get with a cycle (I still get periods prior to hrt very irregular though) or it could be the progesterone - it seems to get more complicated. I just want to go back to my bubbly self,

lisaatg Wed 16-Oct-13 17:25:04

I'm actually a male and started HRT with the Climera Patch to treat possible transgender symptoms. I am amazed how great the HRT makes me feel - I sleep so much better, my skin is softer and I just feel a lot more whole.
My Doctor says she feels it is working wonders for my mood and wants me to stay on the dosage I am on. It is increasable that I have seemed to live in a fog previously and things are so much better now. On the negative side I do have lot of breast tenderness but my doctor says that is normal.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now