Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

Starting periods again?

(3 Posts)
loopylou532000 Tue 13-Aug-13 15:37:12

Hi, I've just started taking Duofemme (Novofem in other countries) & I'm a bit concerned that it says you have period like bleeding at the start of every packet. I'm 52 but haven't had a period for nearly 9 years (& suffering menopausal symptoms). I just wondered if this is usual or if it just means if you still have periods, they will continue?
Only started them today so don't really know what to expect.
Any help will be gratefully received.
Laura

Missbopeep Tue 13-Aug-13 16:58:31

The bleed you have is a withdrawal bleed- the same as women taking the Pill.

There will be 2 tablets in your pack? After taking the 2nd type which are progestins, you will have a bleed. The 2 hormones in the pack mimic your natural cycle- oestrogen in the 1st half of the month and progesterone in the 2nd half.

You won't get your 'natural' periods back again. The bleed is there to ensure your lining of your uterus does not carry on getting thicker which can lead to cancerous changes over many years.

Is there no leaflet in the pack telling you this? Or info online about the product? worth having a google smile

loopylou532000 Tue 13-Aug-13 20:38:42

Yes I found this out from the information leaflet & also online. It's just that it never occurred to me before. Maybe I was being naive or just a bit thick but after 9 years of no periods, I didn't think about it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now