Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

First Month I've Missed

(5 Posts)
ButternutSquish Wed 31-Jul-13 17:49:22

So glad to have found a page on the menopause.

I missed my first period 3 weeks ago and after 2 negative pregnancy tests I'm now convinced it's the beginning of the end. I am 45.

Mixed emotions too. Happiness that all that messiness is going to be out of the way but also feelings of sadness that I never will have that longed for baby and of course, feeling very old.

I have all the symptons....night sweats, irritable, itchy feeling all the time, hair falling out. God, it's a nightmare.

Can you come and say something nice and positive to me?

Missbopeep Wed 31-Jul-13 21:05:23

welcome!

Are you wanting (another?) baby?

You might miss 1 period and go on to have years of almost normal cycles- though your other symptoms sound very peri meno.

First- go to drs and ask for a test for your thyroid. All your symptoms can be down to low thyroid, especially itchy skin and hair loss.

If you are peri meno then do as much as you can to educate yourself about things that can help- either lifestyle and supplements or HRT.

If your periods do stop soon ish you need to seriously consider HRT ( take up to around 51 same age as average meno) to prevent osteoporosis.

carabos Tue 06-Aug-13 13:57:30

After an adult life spent battling anaemia, flooding, polyps, fibroids yadda yadda, I have had no periods for three months - I'm 50. No other symptoms of any note, I've gone from having a "normal for me" period at the beginning of May to nothing. I'm hoping against hope that that's it, although I won't be surprised if it's not!

I'm too old for the peri-menopause surely and this is the real thing?

Missbopeep Tue 06-Aug-13 16:48:55

Ha! Don't you believe it! A 3 month gap is nothing! Some women go 6 or 9 months then they start all over again. Some like you just stop and that's it. If you have had no symptoms I'd hazard a guess- based on women I've spoke to ( friends etc) that you are not yet really into peri- I had no symptoms at all until I was almost 53.

carabos Tue 06-Aug-13 17:55:45

confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now