Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

Is this peri menopause?

(8 Posts)
mandmsmummy Sun 21-Jul-13 20:45:57

Ok so symptoms are: (mostly when due on and on)
Periods changing from 28 to 25 cycle
Achy and painful stomach area
Hot at night
Periods are a bit clotty for first day
Emotional wreck
Indigestion
Hair greasy quicker
Anxiety
Don't sleep as well
Could go on, doc says no as only 37 and blood test normal. But I've heard blood tests aren't particularly reliable. Lost my mum years ago so can't ask her when she went through but family think it was early 40s .
I suppose I basically feel like my body's not my own, really weird. Any advice would be great thanks x

missbopeep Sun 21-Jul-13 21:17:53

Possibly but some of the symptoms could be caused by other things.

Your typical symptoms include:
change in cycle ( shorter or longer)
breakthrough bleeding
night sweats
daytime flushes
weight gain
dry fanjo
insomnia

your dr should do 2 blood tests in the month- one at day 3 ish and the next after mid cycle.

But even this is not reliable.

Keep a record of symptoms for another 3-6 months then go back to dr to discuss and be assertive!

mandmsmummy Sun 21-Jul-13 21:42:17

Hi missbopeep
What's breakthrough bleeding? I'm slowly losing weight at the mo through exercise and low calories as I was overweight but it's hard going. Dry fan jo isn't a problem as (sorry tmi) I've always been excessively wet! [cringe with embarrassment] x

missbopeep Sun 21-Jul-13 23:07:51

Breakthrough is bleeding outside your cycle. It should always be mentioned to the dr ( can be cervical issues at worst or uterine cancer in post meno women) but for younger women it can be a sign of erratic hormones.

Did your dr do a thyroid function test? Under active can mean you gain weight, feel tired, sweaty etc.

chubbymomie2012 Sun 21-Jul-13 23:17:40

Can I ask a question then. What happens if you have the implant and don't get periods. What are the symptoms then?

mandmsmummy Mon 22-Jul-13 22:47:44

Hi all blood tests ok as I had them a little while ago. Going for an internal scan as had a fibroid two years ago and they want to check it. Any experience with fibroids? X

missbopeep Tue 23-Jul-13 13:12:29

I have a fibroidsmile and so does a close friend of mine - they are VERY common.

I didn't know I had one until I was examined by a new gynae who found it. It never bothered me.

It's still there but only small.

My friend's is bigger and hers started to grow when she took HRT, and she had very heavy periods, so she's had to stop taking that type of HRT and take Tibolone, which is a different type.

There is no need to do anything about fibroids unless they are huge and press on the bladder or bowel, or cause heavy bleeding.

mandmsmummy Wed 24-Jul-13 20:10:12

Thanks missbopeep! They found mine during a internal scan two years ago so I think they are just checking it as my periods are changing. But I think that's more to do with hormones than fibroids. X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now