Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

Can the menopause start with a Mirena coil in?

(8 Posts)

I've been thinking about some symptoms I'm having and wondered if it might be the menopause.

I'm 44 in July, had several rounds of IVF and when I was 38, was told I had diminished ovarian reserve. Luckily I have a daughter smile

I've had the Mirena coil for three years, and I'm having it taken out next Friday. I've been experiencing the following symptoms:

Flushes, irritability to the point of anger, greasy skin but feels dry, itchy downstairs, weight gain and a complete lack of interest in doing anything. I also get the overwhelming tiredness around 4 ish and I could just lay down and sleep.

I'm usually very houseproud, but I have no interest in doing anything other than eat chocolate and watch TV.

Could this be the menopause, my mum said she was about 48 when she had hers. Can the doctor do a blood test to let me know?

Thanks

LIZS Thu 11-Apr-13 21:28:31

I believe so although I was told that if I then needed HRT I wouldn't need such a strong prescription.

Jbck Thu 11-Apr-13 22:08:13

GP suggested Mirena for menstrual migraines, as it could be in for ten years she said it would take me through the menopause and less likely to need other meds. I declined so don't know if she was right.

lottie63 Fri 12-Apr-13 08:33:48

Your history is not too dissimilar from mine so I'd be interested in replies from any others who've experienced Mirena and Menopause.

I had multiple IVF rounds as well. I have two dds. Had mirena put in about 2 yrs ago as very heavy periods (now have no bleeding at all). I m 50 this year and am definitely getting menopausal symptoms: night sweats, tiredness during day which may be through not sleeping; anger and feeling down. I was thinking of HRT as alternative tablets don t seem to have worked.

missbopeep Fri 12-Apr-13 08:36:52

The Mirena has no bearing on when you go into peri menopause. Menopause happens when you run out of eggs and your oestrogen levels fall. The Mirena puts progesterone into the uterus to prevent conception. Some women who have a mirena find it hard to know if they are menopausal because the mirena usually stops periods altogether.

If you have had the coil for 3 years then it's unlikely to be side effects of the coil- because your symptoms do sound a bit PMT-ish! Best I'd say to see how you feel once it's out then ask for a blood test.

BastardDog Sun 14-Apr-13 23:08:17

I'm 45. Had a Mirena coil fitted two years ago for heavy periods. I've had symptoms of the menopause since last summer and my GP put me on HRT a couple of months ago. Feeling much better, but the weight gain has been massive. shock Not helped I'm sure by going on HRT coinciding with Creme Eggs being in the shops. blush

missbopeep Mon 15-Apr-13 21:46:03

BD- if you still have the Mirena in, you only need oestrogen as HRT. Such as a patch or gel. Is this what you have? If not then you are getting double the progestrone does with having a Mirena which may account for weight gain.

I've had Mirenas for 15 years and been peri menopausal for 3 years. My coil has been in 7 years now but I'm leaving it until periods finish.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now