Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

Came off HRT

(5 Posts)
Dawndonna Thu 11-Apr-13 21:01:28

seemed okay for a while, the odd hot flush. The night sweats are awful but always were, the HRT never seemed to sort them out. I came off just before Christmas, had done it slowly.
For about a month, the hot flushes have been increasing, the night sweats are worse, I wash before bed, I get up and smell as though I've run a marathon, it's really unpleasant. I can't remember when I last slept for more than a two hour stretch. I'm anxious and miserable. Now, is it just that I work hard (carer for severely disabled dh and three children with ASDs) or coming off the HRT? Ideas anyone?

missbopeep Fri 12-Apr-13 08:42:05

I have heard from drs that it takes around 3 months for women to start having symptoms again once they are off HRT- if the symptoms return at all.

Why did you come off HRT? Was it your decision or your drs?

Is there any reason why you can't take it again?

The only way to find out the answer is to start it again- if it works then it's not your family life and stress- it's your hormones! BTW if the does didn't control the night sweats, did you ever consider changing your dose or type of HRT? Most drs would suggest that, if whatever you used was not controlling your symptoms.

Dawndonna Fri 12-Apr-13 09:39:28

Thanks Missbopeep I honestly didn't realise it was that long, but come back they have. I came off because I've been on it for six years, have changed it three times in that period. I've a doctors appointment just over a week, and having spent yesterday going through the latest research, I think you're right, the only answer is to go back on it.
Thank you. I think I just needed someone to say it.

missbopeep Fri 12-Apr-13 09:53:08

Hope you get on okay- sounds as if you have a lot of your plate and if the meds can help, then go for it.

Dawndonna Fri 12-Apr-13 10:11:20

That's really kind. Thank you so much.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now