Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Do you recognise this?

(13 Posts)
HeavenlyYoni Sat 20-Apr-13 16:44:11

Missbopeep, I think I have that. Keep going to the loo expecting the blood and nothing!

Ooh going to read up on that Venus. Looks like I'm on it too.

VenusRising Sat 20-Apr-13 16:14:31

These happen because you haven't actually ovulated, but the little progesterone that's floating around thickened up your womb lining a tiny bit and with the ovary going back asleep, the lining is shed.

It's an anovulatory cycle.
You might flood next month if the ovary releases an egg, or not.

Missbopeep Fri 05-Apr-13 17:19:18

It's common to get 'phantom periods' all the signs inc PMT etc but no bleeding. This happened to me many times in the run up to full meno.

evansthebread Thu 04-Apr-13 22:40:18

I'm 48 and have been caught out, too. My mum's periods stopped at 52 and after starting before my 9th birthday, I assumed I'd be one of those "lucky" women that hung on until her mid-fifties! I've had the "period every Christmas and holiday all my life" so why not go the whole hog, eh?!

Anyway, last Christmas, period as usual. Then, two weeks later, another one! Nothing til a month ago, and another a fortnight later! Ranging wildly from full on clots and almost haemorrhage to a smear. Sigh.

The one tip I can pass on, however, is that when you're at the smear stage, try a little KY on your tampon (or like me, end up visiting the chemist for a tube of Canesten!).

Bellaciao Wed 03-Apr-13 15:43:38

Hi Dumbledoresgirl

Definitely don't wish yourself into the menopause! However don't want to disappoint you with all the symtpoms and long term issues you could get - so enjoy your periods and hormones while you can - I would go back to those days if I could!

As for the bleeding - yes anything and everything is normal - stopping starting staining flooding 2 periods a month or none for 9 months.

The only time to worry if is if it doesn't feel right ie not like a period at all and especially danidrury if you have one after 2 years of not having one. Even if it feels like a period if you haven't had one for one year get it checked out to rule out polyps, fibroids, or rarely cancer.

Dahlialover Tue 02-Apr-13 16:18:51

I am keeping a diary of symptoms and taking my temp each day to keep an eye on symptoms and avoid being caught out hmm

I have just come off the pill so all this is rather a surprise for me.

It's weird, isn't it? Day 4 now and still getting odd smear now and then, and definitely feeling as cr&p as I always do now during a period, but no real blood to show for it.

Thanks so much everyone for reassuring me this is normal. I wasn't really thinking I was having a mid-cycle-get-to-the-doctor-quick-bleed as the stomach ache the day before had been so obviously pre-menstral, but I wasn't prepared for this.

And yes, can't wait for the actual menopause. So many people have said I will feel like a new woman. I will probably celebrate with a full page ad in all the national newspapers. grin

gerbilsarefun Mon 01-Apr-13 11:24:45

This happened to me recently. I am 48 and have been (I suspect) peri for a couple of years. I didn't have a period for 3 or 4 months (yipee!) then a couple of days of very light blood.

bigTillyMint Mon 01-Apr-13 11:20:31

Yes, sounds horribly familiar. Periods with all the pains and PMT and no bloodangry

Marginally better than flooding though angry

danidrury Mon 01-Apr-13 11:15:36

More embarrassing as I was of course totally unprepared and out in public. Just use liners at all times and you shouldn't find yourself in a golf club shop buying a change of clothes lol good luck once it's all done with it's a blessed relief changes your entire outlook on life x

Thanks danidrury. I had the slightest bit more blood last night after my post, but none since. It is driving me potty, not sure if I am on a period or not, but it is good to know this has happened to others too.

I really just want reassurance that this is normal.

And as for a period 2 years after stopping - shock That must have been a real nuisance.

danidrury Sun 31-Mar-13 09:22:14

This happened to me too. Also 2 years after stopping completely had a full on period. No one tells you but peri menopause can take 2 to 5 years. Mention it to your doc but there isn't much to worry about

I am 48, definitely in the peri-menopause phase and have been for several years, but every so often I get a new symptom that throws me. So, if you have been through, or are going through the peri-menopause, do you recognise this? (and sorry for the minute detail, but I need to explain!)

I haven't had a period for 3 months (fairly normal so far). Then on Thursday, I had vague stomach ache - the sort I used to get before a period in my young days before kids. Not usual nowadays, but not unheard of. I thought a period must be imminent.

Yesterday, sure enough, I go to the loo on waking, and there is a small amount of red blood on the paper. Not enough to need protection straight away. I have breakfast, go to loo again, more blood, put in tampon. About 3 hours later, I go to loo again, take out tampon, and there is only the slightest stain on it. I can't wear tampons unless the flow is reasonably great, so I used a towel instead. And the whole of the rest of the day, there was no more blood, not on the towel, and not on the paper when I wiped.

This morning: slight amount of pinky discharge on paper, no proper blood. No blood for the whole of today (am wearing a panty liner and it is totally unmarked.)

So what has happened to the period? Is that it? I have heard of people having one day periods, but this was little more than about 3 hours! I would estimate a total of about 1/4 tsp of blood.

Please, does anyone recognise this? is it normal for periods to diminish down to just a few hours of bleeding? I have read that periods can get lighter just before the menopause, but this is ridiculous!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now