Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Weird, thought I was through menopause but now it seems not :(

(5 Posts)

I'm 46, 47 this summer. Have had menopause symptoms for a few years. Hadn't had a period for nearly 2 years and for a few years previous was only getting one or two (in the summer). I had all the hot flushes, tiredness and weight gain. Flushes etc all stopped about 6-8 months ago.

Anyway, after Christmas thought well, that's enough now that the menopause has happened it's more than time to get a handle on my weight - I'd gone from a size 12/14 - not sure what weight, but probably about 12 stone-ish to wearing size 18 and starting to find it too tight blush. Weight was 15 st 6 - I'm 5'10 so that was a BMI of 31.0 - just into the Obese category sad

Anyway - been doing really well and am now down to 14 stone 2lbs - I've lost 1 stone 4 lbs in about 2 months so nice and steady. The highest "normal" for me is 12 st 6 so I would like to get down there and maybe a wee bit under to give me a bit of leeway.

...and, I've just had a light period!!- I thought I was getting some slight pre-period symptoms last week.

Could the extra weight have stopped my periods even though I wasn't humongous?

meditrina Wed 20-Mar-13 12:10:37

If you've not had a period for 2 years under 50, then the menopause is considered to have happened (and contraception can be abandoned).

As you were so nearly there, the restarting of periods should be investigated by your GP. They can establish if you have completed the menopause (blood test, I think) and investigate the bleeding (not fully through menopause, or a cause like a cervical polyp).

Thanks meditrina - I hate going to the docs sad I'm due a smear test - just had the note in so I guess I should go now - was hoping to put it off a couple of months until I was slimmer - I'm self concious about being overweight and I know they shouldn't but would feel "judged" by the nurse.

BagWoman Thu 21-Mar-13 14:06:40

No- quite the opposite- women with more fat tend to have more oestrogen which is why being overweight is a risk factor for most female cancers.

You are still on the young side for the meno- it's considered early before age 45 but some latest research has raised that to 47. I'd say it's more likely to be hormonal or something like a polyp.

Thanks Bagwoman. definitely felt like a period - I had sore boobs and a headache in the days before and a bit of water retention too,

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now