Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

can anyone tell me about the merina coil?

(11 Posts)
ssd Fri 15-Mar-13 18:55:41

am bleeding irregularly, spoke to dr she advised the coil...but is it agony to get in/out??

any experience appreciated!

also I get bad period headaches, would it help this?

Euphemia Fri 15-Mar-13 23:25:41

I found insertion uncomfortable, in a sucking-in-air sort of way, but I have a cervix as tight as anything. smile

I was under a general anaesthetic when it came out, thank goodness!

The Mirena worked for me for a while, but then my periods went haywire and lasted three weeks at a time.

Other people report fantastic results.

In your shoes I would try it.

susiedaisy Fri 15-Mar-13 23:29:52

I have the mirena it was uncomfortable to put in but that was all, periods are now very very light and the bad migraine I used to get is now a headache rather than a migraine, I would def recommend it.

Scipio Fri 15-Mar-13 23:38:50

Worked brilliantly for me after two years of increasingly heavy & irregular periods.

Lucky enough to get it put in under general anaesthetic as had d&c at same time, so can't comment on insertion. I was very sore & uncomfortable in my lower belly for the next three weeks, but since then I've had no problems at all.

Had it in for over two years now, and don't have any bleeding or discomfort at all. Also, used to get migraines with my period, but get hardly any now. Not sure if that's a coincidence, or if the coil has helped. I hope it'll see me through the menopause without me needing another.

So a great success story for me. If you go for it, hope it works for you. Sounds like it would be worth a try, irregular periods are no fun at all.

ssd Sat 16-Mar-13 09:08:18

I would try it but am so scared to get it put insad

susiedaisy Sat 16-Mar-13 13:04:43

Op if you've had a smear its not much different to that, have a chat with with your gp or nurse practitioner they should beable to put your mind at rest.

Euphemia Sat 16-Mar-13 13:17:29

ssd I went for an ablation recently and they couldn't do it my cervix is that tight!

If I can tolerate it with just a sharp intake of breath, anyone can!

Have you ever been in labour?

ssd Sun 17-Mar-13 09:41:13

yes have been in labour but am a real scardy cat!

Euphemia Sun 17-Mar-13 11:09:47

Seriously, if you've been in labour your cervix opens more easily so it'll be fine. smile
I had a c section so my cervix has never been open.

Come back and kick me in the fanjo if I'm wrong. grin

inmyheadimthequeen Sun 17-Mar-13 11:23:19

Hi I'm on my 2nd Mirena, they last 5 years and I'm on Y9, so looking for a 3rd next year. I think it's fantastic - I have no periods at all and haven't had since a few months after getting the 1st coil put in, before that I had a 'normal' coil for a year but was bleeding v heavily with it. Also have no PMT, odd bit of breast tenderness but overall very very easy.

It's not comfortable to have put in or taken out but no worse than a smear, I'm a bit of a coward but a couple of paracetamol an hour before going helped take the edge off it, then a day or so of period-like pain then nothing. Definitely worth it for 5 years with no periods imo smile.

They put it in mid-cycle I think and you need to go in a month beforehand for some reason I can't remember (although that might just be my surgery). Can't comment on the migraines I'm afraid, I don't have that experience. I do know someone who had a nightmare though with various weird symptoms (tingling, numbness, memory loss) and she was convinced that was the Mirena - she had it removed but it took months of recovery.

lottie63 Mon 25-Mar-13 06:34:56

It really is lovely to have no periods anymore. I too had mine done under a general because they were removing a fibroid at same time. Why don t you explain that you'd like gas and air? I have a tight, far back cervix and smears have always been a problem for me. Find a sympathetic doctor and ask for a referral to a gynae clinic as I suspect they'll be more practised at it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now