Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

Itchy and Sore

(8 Posts)
Tiggerthebouncytiger Mon 11-Mar-13 17:18:25

I am suffering with itching and soreness in my genital area, which has been going on for sometime now.

Is this something that is linked with peri menopause?

PhyllisDoris Mon 11-Mar-13 17:23:03

I certainly never had that, and have never heard of it in context with menopause either. It's not thrush is it?

Bellaciao Tue 12-Mar-13 19:15:48

Hi Tigger
Yes this is most definitely linked to menopause - when oestrogen levels drop the skin starts to thin and that includes particuarly the vaginal tissues - which are loaded with oestrogen receptors.
The itching and soreness occur because of the thinner skin and some women find they are more prone to urinary tract infections because of this.
Some women don't experience vaginal symptoms until later in the menopause but if you are unlucky they start earlier.
How irregular are your periods and what has your cycle been like over the past couple of years?
If they are still very regular and you have no other menopausal symptoms then presumably you've been checked out for thrush/infections?
If you are definitely peri-menopausal then you can use vaginal oestrogen which plumps the tissues up again and should stop the itching. Vagifem vaginal tablets, or Gynest or Ovestin cream are what is prescribed.

Tiggerthebouncytiger Wed 13-Mar-13 12:16:28

Thank you for your replies.

Bellaciao My cycle has been pretty regular, but my last period started early and then contined for circa two weeks, although the second week was spotting. Now my period is late!

I feel I have PMT constantly.

I am early 40's, and have not been checked to see if I am peri-menopausal - is it possible for a GP to test?

I have been checked for thrush but it came back negative.

Bellaciao Mon 18-Mar-13 20:56:51

GPs can send you for a test but it is somewhat unreliable especially if your periods are fairly regular, and one test doesn't usually tell you very much. I presume you have eliminated obvious causes like products you are using, and other infections or STD's (please don't take offence at that)?

If it's definitely not any of the above you could ask for a test though but you would probably need several and they still may not tell you anything.

Also maybe if you asked for a weak estriol cream like Ovestin to see if this worked and the doc refused you could request starting to do blood tests for menopause, if you thought this could be the cause. Having said that some GPs just go on symptoms and prescribe accordingly!

gnushoes Tue 19-Mar-13 12:24:55

Have had exactly this problem for a month, which started along with a two week period. I took myself to the genito urinary clinic for thrush/cystitis tests and was told on the spot they were clear but usual vag flora very low. Then started googling. I tried Replens for a week (you can buy this over the counter) but it didn't help much so went to dr who, presented with all this info, has given me Gynest cream. Only a few days in with this so not sure, but seeing some promising signs today that it might be working.
You could try Replens as a start -- it's a moisturiser for your bits.

Tiggerthebouncytiger Thu 21-Mar-13 13:34:16

Thank you Bellaciao and gnushoes for replying.

I have been tested for various infections, which have come back negative. When I asked to be tested for herpes and warts I was told they would have to see something to test!

Also, I feel I want to go to the toilet more, but when I do go I find I am not as desperate as I thought I was.

Thanks for your recommendations.

gnushoes Thu 21-Mar-13 15:10:41

Tigger I had the loo thing too, especially at night. I think it is all connected, though I am only just realising that.
I think the Gynest is doing the job now, after a week.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now