Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

HRT and blood pressure tablets

(4 Posts)
tigerzzzz Thu 07-Mar-13 23:12:53

Has anyone been put on HRT when they already had high blood pressure? I'm thinking of going to the GP to ask due to bad night sweats and constant tiredness / grumpiness, but not sure if he'll prescribe it.

Touchmybum Fri 08-Mar-13 14:38:26

I was prescribed Kliovance, but got a lot of bleeding on it, and then Elleste Duet Conti, and I am on 75mg Irbesartan for high bp.
My bp is well controlled on my meds though.

You can only ask.

Bellaciao Tue 12-Mar-13 19:40:38

This is what is says on the Menopause Matters website about HRT and hypertension ( high blood pressure):

"Hypertension
Blood pressure should be measured and, if high, should be controlled prior to starting HRT. Blood pressure measurement should be repeated 3 months after starting HRT and is then usually checked at annual review. There is a very small risk of conjugated equine estrogens causing a rise in blood pressure which resolves on cessation of treatment. In the presence of controlled hypertension, HRT is unlikely to worsen control; some recommend using transdermal (patch or gel) HRT.
Sage should be used with caution if hypertensive and St.John's Wort should be used with caution if taking antihypertensive therapy. "

Best therefore to control your bp first - plenty of non-drtug ways of doing this - healthy diet, take more exercise, cut down alcohol, stop smoking, lose weight (some of these may not apply to you!).

Your body will thank you for doing the above too and improve your health no end.

What's stopping you?!

I have to take blood pressure medication and the Menopause clinic put me on Oestrogel and Utrogestan caps.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now